Lets Talk Metal
Apr 11, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #18,301 of 29,637
  Glad to see a LOT of metal-heads here! I was born in 1969 so I grew up on Ted Nugent, Kiss, Blackfoot, Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc. Then in about 1981, my cousin got the first Iron Maiden album, and I guess that's what turned me on to metal, so then I was hooked. I started buying all the NWOBHM records I could get, like, Witchfinder General, Quartz, Angelwitch, etc. Then it was on to Mercyful Fate, which was a fave of mine for a while. I was in a record store and saw a 7 inch with the corpse from Night of the Living Dead on it, it was a band called the Misfits, which I though sounded like a better version of The Ramones, so I then got into Hardcore a little bit.

Then Kill em All came out and I was hooked on thrash. From then on it was Slayer, Venom, Exodus, etc. It was all that type of music until about 1990, then I started discovering the proto metal bands from the 70's that I missed out on like Captain Beyond, Cactus, Leafhound, Lucifer's Friend, Granicus, Bang, just to name a few.

Now, I guess I listen to it all. Even a bit of oldschool Outlaw Country, like David Allen Coe, Hank JR, Waylon, etc. Oh and Beastie Boys and Ween are two of my favorite things, so I guess I'm just a weirdo with weird tastes in music.

As far as newer metal like some of the last posts I've read, I have NO clue about these bands, but plan to check them out. Glad I found this thread!

Everything, huh?
biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

Heck, not even I listen to all those subgenres.

My favorites are melodic death metal and black metal. Here is a list of many metal bands I like.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #18,302 of 29,637
Severely behind the time are thee, Rob

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #18,303 of 29,637
Glad to see a LOT of metal-heads here! I was born in 1969 so I grew up on Ted Nugent, Kiss, Blackfoot, Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc. Then in about 1981, my cousin got the first Iron Maiden album, and I guess that's what turned me on to metal, so then I was hooked. I started buying all the NWOBHM records I could get, like, Witchfinder General, Quartz, Angelwitch, etc. Then it was on to Mercyful Fate, which was a fave of mine for a while. I was in a record store and saw a 7 inch with the corpse from Night of the Living Dead on it, it was a band called the Misfits, which I though sounded like a better version of The Ramones, so I then got into Hardcore a little bit.

Then Kill em All came out and I was hooked on thrash. From then on it was Slayer, Venom, Exodus, etc. It was all that type of music until about 1990, then I started discovering the proto metal bands from the 70's that I missed out on like Captain Beyond, Cactus, Leafhound, Lucifer's Friend, Granicus, Bang, just to name a few.

Now, I guess I listen to it all. Even a bit of oldschool Outlaw Country, like David Allen Coe, Hank JR, Waylon, etc. Oh and Beastie Boys and Ween are two of my favorite things, so I guess I'm just a weirdo with weird tastes in music.

As far as newer metal like some of the last posts I've read, I have NO clue about these bands, but plan to check them out. Glad I found this thread!

My history is a lot like yours except no country music interest. The only difference for me was after Mercyful Fate I really got into King Diamond. Then in the mid 1990s I found out about Black Metal. It was all downhill from there.:wink:

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #18,304 of 29,637

You're in good company. A number of us 60's and 70's babies. Similar track. I got sidetracked by grunge and alternative in the 90's for a minute, but then came back. I enjoy hardcore as well. I got into extreme metal a few years ago. I'll switch back and listen to indie, jazz, electronic  or whatever. I like some southern influenced rock-Dylan, Neil young and my dad turned me onto Willie and J Cash-Folsom Prison Blues yo! 

But I always eventually get back to metal one way or another. It's my first love and my home base.

I'm a lifer. TGF Spotify! The blogosphere really opened me up to new music and a lot of the guys here have turned me on to some killer stuff.  Stay tuned.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #18,305 of 29,637
You're in good company. A number of us 60's and 70's babies. Similar track. I got sidetracked by grunge and alternative in the 90's for a minute, but then came back. I enjoy hardcore as well. I got into extreme metal a few years ago. I'll switch back and listen to indie, jazz, electronic  or whatever. I like some southern influenced rock-Dylan, Neil young and my dad turned me onto Willie and J Cash-Folsom Prison Blues yo! 

But I always eventually get back to metal one way or another. It's my first love and my home base.

I'm a lifer. TGF Spotify! The blogosphere really opened me up to new music and a lot of the guys here have turned me on to some killer stuff.  Stay tuned.

Speaking of Hardcore.........

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #18,306 of 29,637
i was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with polish band called Kobong. They released only two albums before one of key members died (can't remember which one) but it was some intense polirythmic agressive metal aspecially their second album called "chmury nie bylo". anyone? if not i recommend to all of you interested in meshuggah style sound but in my opinion Kobong was far ahead of meshuggah in all terms. after kobong seized to exist three new band were formed: Neuma, Nyia and finally SAMO. you should check Kobong out i'll be more than happy to hear your thoughts.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #18,307 of 29,637
  Feels like a slow year in metal-but that's what people always say until the end of the year when I discover a bunch of great music I didn't know about......

It's probably just me! I haven't been listening to a whole lot of new stuff, but I'm always scanning the horizon. But I often get to a slow start. We're past the first quarter of 2015. Other than Leviathan, what do  you love?

When I think of albums, I kind of think in these terms:

OK album: something I'll try to listen to throughout the year, but doesn't really stick with me. I may revisit months or years from now to reevaluate. But just kind of so so.
Good album=something I'll listen to all year and beyond. I will probably revisit sporadically in years to come.
Very Good=something that I think will make my best of listening for the year and will stay in rotation for a couple of years at least.
Excellent=Something I think I'll still be listening to 3-5 years from now. Maybe something I would even call a reference album.

I think it's going to be a good year.

Ghost Bath and A Forest of Stars were both great!
An Autumn for Crippled Children was good, but they've kind of worked themselves into a rut. I would've liked it better if I hadn't heard their other albums.
Periphery was a really fun listen.
Corpo-mente was good, and had some interesting nuances that I keep coming back to analyze. (not metal, but it's Igorrr so I give it a pass)
I still have to listen to Der Weg Einer Freiheit, Sulphur Aeon, Leviathan, Carach Angren, Negura Bunget, and Katatonia.
And still coming we have Barren Earth, Bell Witch, Between the Buried and Me, Leprous, Shining, and Sigh.

Not a bad list if you ask me!

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #18,308 of 29,637
  I still have to listen to Der Weg Einer Freiheit, Sulphur Aeon, Leviathan, Carach Angren, Negura Bunget, and Katatonia.

Also:

The last three minutes are just the best thing I heard Metal-wise all year.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #18,309 of 29,637
66.55.144.67:8120/radio

Above is the beta version of Metal Injection's 24/7 internet radio. It's way below 16/44.1 and maybe lower quality than MP3 but it's free.

I figure the finished version will list the bands who are playing, as right now if you hear a song you like there is no way to figure out who it is.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #18,311 of 29,637
  Also:

The last three minutes are just the best thing I heard Metal-wise all year.

I remember hearing a track from that album when it came out and not liking it, but this is way better. I'll have to give the whole thing a try, thanks.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #18,312 of 29,637

I think it's going to be a good year.

Ghost Bath and A Forest of Stars were both great!
An Autumn for Crippled Children was good, but they've kind of worked themselves into a rut. I would've liked it better if I hadn't heard their other albums.
Periphery was a really fun listen.
Corpo-mente was good, and had some interesting nuances that I keep coming back to analyze. (not metal, but it's Igorrr so I give it a pass)
And still coming we have Barren Earth, Bell Witch, Between the Buried and Me, Leprous, Shining, and Sigh.

Not a bad list if you ask me!

You're getting me excited for some great new music, dude.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #18,313 of 29,637
Morbid Angel Live .........from 1989:smiling_imp:
Drudkh - A Furrow Cut Short
Khors - Night Falls Onto The Fronts Of Ours
Shining - IX - Everyone, Everything, Everywhere, Ends
Dark Funeral-?
Demonical - Black Flesh Redemption [EP]
Corpus Christii - PaleMoon
Gnaw Their Tongues - Actuary / Gnaw Their Tongues [Split]
Coffins - Craving To Eternal Slumber [EP]
Six Feet Under - Crypt Of The Devil:smiling_imp:
Sigh - Graveward
Arcturus - Arcturian:smiling_imp:
Coal Chamber - Rivals
Öxxö Xööx - Nämïdäë
Gorgoroth - Instinctus Bestialis
Graveworm - Ascending Hate:smiling_imp:
Milking The Goatmachine - Goatgrind:smiling_imp:
Kataklysm - Of Ghosts And Gods

This 2015 upcoming forecast lists albums and EPs I am lukewarm about to stuff I think will be great.

:smiling_imp: next to recent upcoming surprises that have just become known.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #18,314 of 29,637
In early July I will post a top 10 so far, showing what metal has been good and great in 2015.

So far has been quality not quantity, which is just fine by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back