Lets Talk Metal
Apr 10, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #18,286 of 29,630
Like Agalloch but with more Black Metal!
Pretty good.

https://haethen.bandcamp.com/

It's also "free".

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #18,287 of 29,630

You could convert your lossless files to 256 kbps AAC, which is indistinguishable from lossless. (Keeping the original lossless files archived, of course.) 

Eh, my audiotism bottoms out at 320kbps CBR

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #18,289 of 29,630
huh, didn't realize that

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #18,290 of 29,630
Tonight Cannibal corpse and Suicide Silence ... Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh for Cannibal Corpse....

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #18,291 of 29,630
Feels like a slow year in metal-but that's what people always say until the end of the year when I discover a bunch of great music I didn't know about......

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #18,292 of 29,630
Apple Beats streaming service will begin with iOS 8.4 updates. This could easily arrive as the biggest and most successful streaming service for music in the world. Unfortunately you will have to be able to have a device with iOS 8.4 to enjoy the service. Anything older than an Apple iPhone 4 will not get the iOS supdate and be left behind.

iOS 8 never came out for the iPhone 4, oldest phone it works on is the 4S. Stuck with iOS 7 on the 4.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #18,293 of 29,630
Anathema - Lovelorn Rhapsody - Resonance Tour @ Budapest 2015 
evil_smiley.gif

Anathema - A Dying Wish - Resonance Tour @ Budapest 2015

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #18,296 of 29,630

i don't know, it's pretty good so far i think....

It's probably just me! I haven't been listening to a whole lot of new stuff, but I'm always scanning the horizon. But I often get to a slow start. We're past the first quarter of 2015. Other than Leviathan, what do  you love?

When I think of albums, I kind of think in these terms:

OK album: something I'll try to listen to throughout the year, but doesn't really stick with me. I may revisit months or years from now to reevaluate. But just kind of so so.
Good album=something I'll listen to all year and beyond. I will probably revisit sporadically in years to come.
Very Good=something that I think will make my best of listening for the year and will stay in rotation for a couple of years at least.
Excellent=Something I think I'll still be listening to 3-5 years from now. Maybe something I would even call a reference album.

What would make that from recent memory. Hmmm? Let me give this a stab. Has be released prior to 2014 but within the last 5 years.

Metal (complete random thoughts from stuff I have sort of on loose rotation): Cult of Luna-Vetikal, The Ocean-Pelagial, Ludicra-The Tennant, Ash Borer-Cold of Age, Grave-EndlessProcession of Souls , Marduk-Wormwood, Darkthrone-The Undergrounds Resistance, Lord Mantis-Preverter, Altar of Plagues-Mammal, Bereft, The Faceless-Autotheism, Deafhaven-Subather, Textures-Dualism, Windhand-Soma, Aransi Pazuzu, Meshugah-Koloss, Katatonia-Dead End Kings, Asphyx-Deathhammer, Vastum-Carnal Law, Intronaut-Habitual Levitations, Salome-Terminal, Pig Destroyer-Book Burner, Carcass-Surgical Steel, Ufomammut-Oro (double album), Deftones-Diamond Eyes,  Gojira-L'Enfant Savage, WITR-Celestial Lineage, Amon  Amarth-Sulfur Rising (earlier stuff is better), lots of other things my brain is to puny to remember
basshead.gif

Non Metal (sans  titles): Swans-The Seer-OK 1 title-my favorite single album in the last five years, QUOTSA, The Menzingers, Gozu, Boards of Canada, Jon Hopkins, Steven Wilson, Fiona Apple, Of Monsters and Men, The Lumineers, Julia Holter, Pat Metheny, Bod Dylan (from his excellent bootleg series), Clutch, Joe Henry, The Black Keys. I'm sure someone will correct me and I probably have something in here that's more than five years old. Shoot me.

That was actually kind of fun. Damn, I've got some great taste in music-
wink_face.gif

I think Leviathan would rank in this list in a couple of years. Not much else though.

Come on 2015-bring it!

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #18,297 of 29,630

It's probably just me! I haven't been listening to a whole lot of new stuff, but I'm always scanning the horizon. But I often get to a slow start. We're past the first quarter of 2015. Other than Leviathan, what do  you love?

When I think of albums, I kind of think in these terms:

OK album: something I'll try to listen to throughout the year, but doesn't really stick with me. I may revisit months or years from now to reevaluate. But just kind of so so.
Good album=something I'll listen to all year and beyond. I will probably revisit sporadically in years to come.
Very Good=something that I think will make my best of listening for the year and will stay in rotation for a couple of years at least.
Excellent=Something I think I'll still be listening to 3-5 years from now. Maybe something I would even call a reference album.

i haven't bought a whole lot so far this year, but there are some pretty good albums that i do have.  ones that i'd rate Good or better on your scale so far are Leviathan, Alkaloid, Mastery, Archgoat, DHG, Napalm Death, forest of stars, the crown, imperial triumphant, morduk, callisto, caina, melechesh, marduk, black sheep wail, periphery, mysthyrming, maladie, autumn for crippled children, the body & thou, godspeed...

i'm sure there's lots more

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #18,298 of 29,630

i haven't bought a whole lot so far this year, but there are some pretty good albums that i do have.  ones that i'd rate Good or better on your scale so far are Leviathan, Alkaloid, Mastery, Archgoat, DHG, Napalm Death, forest of stars, the crown, imperial triumphant, morduk, callisto, caina, melechesh, marduk, black sheep wail, periphery, mysthyrming, maladie, autumn for crippled children, the body & thou, godspeed...

i'm sure there's lots more

You are the man. I'm going to have to check some of these out. I didn't even know the crown had something out. I'm a big fan of their last one. I need to listen to the new Godspeed, Callisto and Caina for sure. I do like Forest of Stars, too.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #18,299 of 29,630
So far not a ton of metal I'm digging but I've got a ton from last year that's still great. Really liking the new Leviathan, Taake and Botanist releases. Not really metal but I feel like a lot of people here dig Godspeed You! and their new album seems pretty good. Still need to give it a spin on my record player.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #18,300 of 29,630
Glad to see a LOT of metal-heads here! I was born in 1969 so I grew up on Ted Nugent, Kiss, Blackfoot, Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc. Then in about 1981, my cousin got the first Iron Maiden album, and I guess that's what turned me on to metal, so then I was hooked. I started buying all the NWOBHM records I could get, like, Witchfinder General, Quartz, Angelwitch, etc. Then it was on to Mercyful Fate, which was a fave of mine for a while. I was in a record store and saw a 7 inch with the corpse from Night of the Living Dead on it, it was a band called the Misfits, which I though sounded like a better version of The Ramones, so I then got into Hardcore a little bit.

Then Kill em All came out and I was hooked on thrash. From then on it was Slayer, Venom, Exodus, etc. It was all that type of music until about 1990, then I started discovering the proto metal bands from the 70's that I missed out on like Captain Beyond, Cactus, Leafhound, Lucifer's Friend, Granicus, Bang, just to name a few.

Now, I guess I listen to it all. Even a bit of oldschool Outlaw Country, like David Allen Coe, Hank JR, Waylon, etc. Oh and Beastie Boys and Ween are two of my favorite things, so I guess I'm just a weirdo with weird tastes in music.

As far as newer metal like some of the last posts I've read, I have NO clue about these bands, but plan to check them out. Glad I found this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back