Lets Talk Metal
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #18,257 of 29,637
I buy, sell, and trade headphones all the time. Not many can pass all my tests.

Ironically, the $85-100 Sony MDR-7506 is one of the best headphones I've heard. I decided to keep it permanently as a backup.

Years ago I had a pair of those. The cord broke so I put them in the trash. I should try em again. They were what I used to record songs on my simple 4-track.

Still though, what was wrong with the HD700, I spent a ton of time trying to love the HD800 and they were the head-phone equivalent to I-MAX. Still a little boring so I was hoping the HD700 were warmed up with metal?

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #18,258 of 29,637
Still though, what was wrong with the HD700, I spent a ton of time trying to love the HD800 and they were the head-phone equivalent to I-MAX. Still a little boring so I was hoping the HD700 were warmed up with metal?

Meh. I don't care enough to explain it all. Just listen for yourself when you can and form your own opinion, I guess.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #18,259 of 29,637
I can't imagine listening to anything on the HD700s...specially not brick walled metal albums. Those headphones have some incredibly obnoxious treble, peaks/ringing for days...theres a reason they are referred to as CyberGrados :p

I literally get a headache within 5 minutes of putting them on every time I've ever tried them

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #18,260 of 29,637

I literally get a headache within 5 minutes of putting them on every time I've ever tried them

I can get behind "Cyber Grados" 
tongue.gif

Funnily enough, I like them. I'm usually really sensitive to anything that aggrevates my tinnitus but HD700 seem not to do that. They're quite pleasant to my ears. They are possibly the most comfortable phones I've tried.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #18,261 of 29,637
  I can get behind "Cyber Grados" 
tongue.gif

Funnily enough, I like them. I'm usually really sensitive to anything that aggrevates my tinnitus but HD700 seem not to do that. They're quite pleasant to my ears. They are possibly the most comfortable phones I've tried.

haha ergonomically they are incredibly comfortable, i was saying the treble spikes/ringing give me the headaches :p

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #18,262 of 29,637

I buy, sell, and trade headphones all the time. Not many can pass all my tests.

Ironically, the $85-100 Sony MDR-7506 is one of the best headphones I've heard. I decided to keep it permanently as a backup.

I think you may always be disappointed in your current pricepoint. I know it sucks and it's hard, but your best bet might be to save even if it takes a year until you can jump into the 1K + price range and get something "summitfi" that is truly high end that you won't have reservations about. Otherwise all cans will no doubt have limitations. It's like looking for a great $300 speaker and being disappointed with every budget system you listen to......until you realize none of them are going to be great.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #18,264 of 29,637
Just buy a pair of hd800s, anax mod them, and know you have the best headphones in the world. Job done
biggrin.gif
well...and buy a good amp too, and no that doesn't just mean an expensive one, some of those suck too
wink.gif

Nononono he NEEDS the Abyss.

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #18,265 of 29,637
If he has settled into the flat response of the Sony MDR 7506, he may looking for the same polite Sony sound. His journey may end at the Sony R-10?

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #18,266 of 29,637
  This song through my Audeze cans and Master 10 is just earth shatteringly heavy. Feels like the tectonic plates are about to split open beneath me. Does anyone know of any very heavy bands with non-distorted female vocals? I love the combo. Not looking for the symphonic stuff though - not to my taste.

Give Bog Oak (especially the last two songs) a try. The vocals might get too distorted now and then, but nonetheless heavier than heaven and divine syrup to my ears with Audeze LCD-2.

https://officialbogoak.bandcamp.com/album/a-treatise-on-resurrection-and-the-afterlife

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #18,267 of 29,637
See, @Redcarmoose, this is what happens when we start talking about headphones for metal, but not in the headphones for metal thread. XD

I can't imagine listening to anything on the HD700s...specially not brick walled metal albums. Those headphones have some incredibly obnoxious treble, peaks/ringing for days...theres a reason they are referred to as CyberGrados :p

Actually, the HD 700's treble did not bother me at all. It only has some mild peaks here and there, in my opinion. My problem is that it still has the Sennheiser veil, making things sound muffled, dull, mellow, and laid-back far too much of the time. Plus its bass is disgustingly weak, and I know what neutral bass sounds like. Its weaknesses ruin its strengths for me.

Perhaps you've never tried the Sony MDR-7506, which is far more obnoxious, yet I like it much more than the HD 700 since it sounds more natural and engaging to me despite the treble peaks.

I think you may always be disappointed in your current pricepoint. I know it sucks and it's hard, but your best bet might be to save even if it takes a year until you can jump into the 1K + price range and get something "summitfi" that is truly high end that you won't have reservations about. Otherwise all cans will no doubt have limitations. It's like looking for a great $300 speaker and being disappointed with every budget system you listen to......until you realize none of them are going to be great.

In case you didn't see any of my other posts about it, I love the $349 Focal Spirit Professional. It is the only headphone I've heard that has no major weaknesses, at least for me. And the very affordable Sony MDR-7506 easily outperforms many much more expensive headphones in some ways. But I don't expect any headphone to be without weaknesses, regardless of cost.

Just buy a pair of hd800s, anax mod them, and know you have the best headphones in the world. Job done
biggrin.gif
well...and buy a good amp too, and no that doesn't just mean an expensive one, some of those suck too
wink.gif

I would have sworn I saw you post in the past about how the SR-009 is the greatest headphone in the world, though I could be mistaken. I actually know someone who likes the STAX SR-207 more than the SR-009, Abyss, HD 800, etc. This is noteworthy because the SR-207 along with SRM-252S amp can be imported from Japan for under $400!

Nononono he NEEDS the Abyss.

very_evil_smiley.gif

(And yes, I made those myself.)

If he has settled into the flat response of the Sony MDR 7506, he may looking for the same polite Sony sound. His journey may end at the Sony R-10?

The 7506 is fairly neutral, except it has very nasty peaks in the treble -- so nasty that they make the HD 700 sound like it has no problems at all in the treble. But I still enjoy the 7506, since everything else about it is surprisingly natural-sounding. But I would never call it polite. The DT 880 was polite and gentle. The 7506 is much more engaging. But without proper EQ, it is nowhere near a flat/neutral/balanced response.

The Sony MDR-R10 is one of the most expensive headphones ever. Alas, I'm getting the 10R, not R10. At least for the time being.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #18,268 of 29,637
I just got back from an audio sort of high end store in Baltimore looking at some different speakers-always looking
wink.gif

While there I listened a bit to the LCD-2 and X from a Meridian amp. The amp was spendy-2K (that's spend to me).

've always liked the LCD-2 when listening and didn't think the X was that much of a step up. Damn! I was wrong.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #18,269 of 29,637
O
See, @Redcarmoose
, this is what happens when we start talking about headphones for metal, but not in the headphones for metal thread. XD

Actually, the HD 700's treble did not bother me at all. It only has some mild peaks here and there, in my opinion. My problem is that it still has the Sennheiser veil, making things sound muffled, dull, mellow, and laid-back far too much of the time. Plus its bass is disgustingly weak, and I know what neutral bass sounds like. Its weaknesses ruin its strengths for me.

Perhaps you've never tried the Sony MDR-7506, which is far more obnoxious, yet I like it much more than the HD 700 since it sounds more natural and engaging to me despite the treble peaks.

In case you didn't see any of my other posts about it, I love the $349 Focal Spirit Professional. It is the only headphone I've heard that has no major weaknesses, at least for me. And the very affordable Sony MDR-7506 easily outperforms many much more expensive headphones in some ways. But I don't expect any headphone to be without weaknesses, regardless of cost.

I would have sworn I saw you post in the past about how the SR-009 is the greatest headphone in the world, though I could be mistaken. I actually know someone who likes the STAX SR-207 more than the SR-009, Abyss, HD 800, etc. This is noteworthy because the SR-207 along with SRM-252S amp can be imported from Japan for under $400!

:veryevil:

(And yes, I made those myself.)

The 7506 is fairly neutral, except it has very nasty peaks in the treble -- so nasty that they make the HD 700 sound like it has no problems at all in the treble. But I still enjoy the 7506, since everything else about it is surprisingly natural-sounding. But I would never call it polite. The DT 880 was polite and gentle. The 7506 is much more engaging. But without proper EQ, it is nowhere near a flat/neutral/balanced response.

The Sony MDR-R10 is one of the most expensive headphones ever. Alas, I'm getting the 10R, not R10. At least for the time being.

When trying new headphones I always liked to be at a relaxed Head-Fi meet. There is just an easy way to figure gear out when you have a room of different set-ups to try the headphones with.

In this test you can get a grip on how they scale up and start to hear what may be their true nature by changing amps and sources. I only spent $400 for my AH-D 7000s as I purchased them used right when they came out. I have not heard any new HiFiman products or the Audeze LCD line so I may be missing out. This hobby has changed so much with $500 being the max flagship headphones were 10 years ago.

But I agree there is no perfect set of headphones. Our own personal personality profile that got us here is always looking to go to a higher level.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #18,270 of 29,637
Im gonna assume you all were just waiting for me to do so, cause it is almost criminal that the new Leprous song hasn't been posted here yet!

One of the comments on that youtube video was pretty apt when it said "this song sounds as if Bilateral and Coal screwd and had a baby called this song!"

Glorious, I cannot freaking wait for the entire album to come out. For a third album in a row I am sure Leprous will be my album of the year..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back