Lets Talk Metal
Feb 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #17,731 of 29,629
Totally overhauled, uh, replaced my speaker system after saving for about a year at a weekend summer job. Tweaking now. Lots of fun. For the first time, I have a dedicated separate DAC that has a preamp for my stereo and is connected to a computer, traditional 2 way stereo (CD playback and Sonos) with a HP amp which was my single largest purchase. I really like being able to control everything from the external DAC, having the preamp function and being able to listen via HP on the same device :gs1000smile:

It's from Nuprime who took over the "high end" product line of Nuforce and have several new products. I really like and would recommend something called the IDA-16 to anyone who is in the market for a nice DAC/integrated digital amp that has a bunch of digital and analog ins/outputs. I demoed the IDA at my house and almost went for the IDA. It's sweet for sure.  I would have gone with it if it had the HP amp feature I wanted.

But, I wanted to be able to access the DAC w/ HPs in addition to speakers. And with the integration of DAC and amp, there doesn't seem to be a way to throw in a HP amp. We tried. But, I loved the sound of this amp-very clean, transparent-200 W and will decode anything. We tried it with my Sonos lossless files and they sounded as good if not better than my CD playback. It's new and starting to pick up some good reviews. For once piece of gear to access all your digital music, anolog sources with a nice DAC-I thought it was terrific...

http://www.goodsound.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/607-nuprime-ida-16-integrated-amplifier-dac

So, I ended up with the Nuprime DAC 10H-same company which is pretty much the same DAC offered as a separate component (a slight upgrade-but basically the same DAC) with a preamp and HP amp with balanced and standard outs with high and low gain. I'm loving this piece of kit:

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/product/dac-headphone-amps/home-audio-dacs/dac-10h

Speakers-Sjofn (The Clue) that I heard with Clones amp at Capital Audio Fest last July in D.C. They're a unique small speakers designed to utilize the walls of a smaller room and produce a really full range-the base in particular is phenomenal in a monitor style speaker. They have some very specific placement recommendations-but were ideal for my space. It was jus a matter of hearing them in my room. And, luckily they sound awesome. They're not right for every space-but they are for mine. I had also heard the KEFL50 that I recently posted about and some Neat speakers all of which I liked, but I got a great deal on the Clues-bought the guys demo pair sill under warranty, etc. and I will NOT be needing to add a sub as I probably would have been tempted to do with the KEFs and the synergy with the amp I bought and the sound in my room floored me.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/09/19/second-thoughts-digging-in-to-the-clue-from-sjofn-hifi/

http://www.cnet.com/news/subwoofer-deep-bass-from-a-small-speaker/

Pairing them with a Clones Amp (http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-power-amplifiers/stereo-amplifiers/clones-audio-25p-power-amplifier-review.html)

and tweaking with some acoustic paneling...bought some nice cables and interconnects for the first time really....the largest single audio purchase of my life. Luckily, I was able to work almost every weekend last year during the kayaking season here in DC (big spot for WW) and made a bunch of dough on the side so my wife can't bitch :ksc75smile:  It's my money-yo....mortgage and bills are paid!

So-got some great gear from this guy whose working out of his house and brings the gear to your home. A lot of what I bought was his demo gear that I got at a great cost. I wouldn't have been able to afford everything from a retail shop.

Oh-to make this tangentially (do I sound like an attorney-I'm not) related to metal-from another recent post-I put together my audition music-a lot of non metal but here were my metal tracks:

Tool/Lateralus-The Grudge (if I could pick one track-this is one of my faves)
Opeth-/Ghost Reveries-Ghost of Perdition-just love this song-has that older Opeth DM vocals with all the proggy dynamics I like

Kreator-Phantom Antichrist-Flood into Fire, Civilization, Collapse-this is just a great well produced banger of a modern thash album. Plenty heavy, reasonably melodic and it flat out kicks ass

Soundgarden/Badmotor Finger (one of my favorite 90's albums)-Outshined-great sludgey guitar riff

Dream Theater/Train of Thought-As I Am-not the biggest DT fan-but this album rock pretty well and it's a more song oriented album IMO with less of the cheese

Not metal, but looking for that one classical epic piece that translates well for symphonic BM, etc. The Gladiator soundtrack-The Battle (second track) is awesome. Plus for some reason a lot of metal heads love the Gladiator soundtrack. I also like TLOTR trilogy soundtracks, but whatever.

I've spent a lot of money on other hobbies-a schiit ton on kayaking boats, classes and gear, dogs and other crap, an acting career in my late 20's...

But, it took me  nearly 50 years to buy the stereo I wanted

I hope you get yours a lot sooner than that :veryevil:

Whew!

Not only is the stereo super cool, but you accomplished it in a great way by earning extra money on your own so wife could be happy too. That is maybe the single hardest thing, to balance life and have great (expensive) audio.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #17,732 of 29,629
Not only is the stereo super cool, but you accomplished it in a great way by earning extra money on your own so wife could be happy too. That is maybe the single hardest thing, to balance life and have great (expensive) audio.

Now ain't that the truth! I don't always get it right. It is a balancing act for sure.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #17,733 of 29,629
That sucks.

Unfortunately, we have to announce that Dominic ‘’Forest’’ Lapointe is no longer part of Beyond Creation for personal reasons. We would like to thank him for his great work and dedication to the band for the past four years. We had a lot of fun sharing the stage with him and recording two solid records! Dominic stays our friend and we keep a good relationship with him. We wish him the best of luck for all his bands and future projects.
-Simon, Kevin, Philippe

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #17,734 of 29,629
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #17,737 of 29,629

You sound like someone who tried but could never cross-over into AKG k701 land. I will admit when I purchased my second pair the guy said they only had about 100 hrs of use. They sounded exactly the same as my pair with 400 plus hours? I though maybe he was the second owned and just really didn't know.

There was a time when the k701s was maybe the most "purchased then sold quick afterwords "headphone here?

The sound is not for everyone, and most people never figure out how to drive them right, so that lowers the field even more. Amazing history for a flagship? IMO. Still the 7XX may be the best metal sound for $200 if they increased the bass?

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #17,741 of 29,629
  Pics!!!

So here are a couple of pics of my new gear.

Biggest improvement is my electronics. Here are the small but dynamic duo-Clones 25 P power amp and Nuprime DAC 10H which is a DAC, preamp and headphone amplifier. The synergy is really nice.

Here we have (the clue ) from Sjöfn HiFi-unique desgign-benign looking but have a tremendous impact, imaging, dynamic range relative to their size like a subwoofer was in the room. Really designed to use the walls in a small room to amplify the bass.

$4,000 poorer, but I finally like what I'm hearing! Listening to The Ocean Pelagial right now.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #17,742 of 29,629
So here are a couple of pics of my new gear.

Biggest improvement is my electronics. Here are the small but dynamic duo-Clones 25 P power amp and Nuprime DAC 10H which is a DAC, preamp and headphone amplifier. The synergy is really nice.

Here we have (the clue ) from Sjöfn HiFi-unique desgign-benign looking but have a tremendous impact, imaging, dynamic range relative to their size like a subwoofer was in the room. Really designed to use the walls in a small room to amplify the bass.

$4,000 poorer, but I finally like what I'm hearing! Listening to The Ocean Pelagial right now.

So now you need to get balanced adapters and cords for your headphones?

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #17,743 of 29,629
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #17,744 of 29,629
Gotta admit markm1....I'm jealous! I'm looking for a place to demo those speakers, I'd never heard of them before but the reviews are awesome

I'd love to replace the TV sound bar with some real speakers...but the better half already made me ditch a stereo once cause of the space requirements LOL.

How do they sound with really dense (black, death) metal?

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #17,745 of 29,629
Gotta admit markm1....I'm jealous! I'm looking for a place to demo those speakers, I'd never heard of them before but the reviews are awesome

I'd love to replace the TV sound bar with some real speakers...but the better half already made me ditch a stereo once cause of the space requirements LOL.

How do they sound with really dense (black, death) metal?

Those type of speakers are my favorite type. 2 way so its not complex, smaller size fast woofers that image well. All placed on stands to tighten the bass. It comes down to placement to get the right soundstage and bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back