Lets Talk Metal
Aug 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #16,261 of 29,637
  One of my friend heard the new album and he told me that it's their best since In Search Of Truth !

Can't wait to hear it!

Just keep on looking away. Excellent attitude. The world needs more people like you.
Peace out.

It's misguided to think you would make an iota of difference by not buying their albums.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #16,262 of 29,637

IMO, it's their best album since Ghost Reveries!

I reluctantly like Heritage-but it was a struggle! After reading this review on Allmusic, I may have to break down and get the new album:

Review by Thom Jurek  [-]

When Opeth released Heritage in 2011 -- the wonderfully indulgent, somewhat unfocused exercise in prog rock aesthetics -- some longstanding fans were offended because the band had abandoned death metal. Truthfully, they had been exploring prog in fits and starts since 2005's Ghost Reveries. Pale Communion completes the transition, proving that Heritage was not only a next step, but a new beginning altogether. Vocalist, songwriter, and guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt has obviously been listening to loads of prog in the interim -- ELP's debut, Deep Purple's In Rock, early King Crimson and Eloy, National Health, U.K., Bill Bruford's early solo work, Pär Lindh, and even jazz fusion. Produced by the singer and mixed by Steven Wilson, Pale Communion states its ambitions outright. Opener "Eternal Rains Will Come" explodes with knotty, labyrinthine organ (from new keyboardist Joakim Svalberg) and Martin Axenrot's skittering, propulsive drums. Åkerfeldt's and Fredrik Åkesson's serpentine yet raucous guitars and Martín Méndez's fat, humming bassline kick in immediately thereafter. They all stop on a dime to be replaced by flute and acoustic piano. After another few moments, they return to establish the song's vamp and melody. Åkerfeldt's multi-tracked vocals don't enter until three minutes in, then give way to a dazzling finish provided by a guitar solo and massive swathes of organ and Mellotron. Lead single "Cusp of Eternity" employs repetitive metal guitar and bass riffs, while the modal melody suggests Middle Eastern origins. "Moon Above, Sun Below" is the set's hinge piece and longest track. It contains no less than five sections in nearly 11 minutes. These are introduced variously by samples of Tibetan thigh-bone trumpet and vibraphones, as well as acoustic guitars, Rhodes piano, thundering organ, anthemic electric guitars atop cracking rim shots, kick drum, and a forceful bassline that creates dynamic textural passages illustrating the rage, loss, and acceptance in Åkerfeldt's lyrics. "Goblin" is an instrumental, a tightrope walk between hard rock and jazz fusion, and it's among the finest things here. This is countered by "River," with rich, multi-layered vocal harmonies, 12-string, piano, glistening cymbal, and snare, highlighted by a melodic electric guitar solo à la Argus-era Wishbone Ash. The metallic syncopation in "Voice of Treason" is dramatic with Eastern interludes via the primary instruments, painted by Mellotron as Åkerfeldt soars. The first half of closer "Faith in Others" is instrumentally sparse; it begins reaching for the skies about halfway through, but gets dialed back to allow the gorgeous melody prominence. Pale Communion is more focused and refined than Heritage. Though they readily display numerous musical influences here, ultimately Opeth sound like no one but themselves. This set is a massive leap forward, not only in terms of style but also in its instrumental and performance acumen; it is nearly unlimited in its creativity.

​

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #16,263 of 29,637
After a VERY long absence, I'm back. Hey dudes.
cool.gif

I'm on my third listen of Opeth's Pale Communion. I've been following the hype behind the album; even with a few small missteps, I'm still enjoying it very much. Overall, it seems like an actually cohesive and well-executed version of what was explored on Heritage. Perhaps age has led me to take things as they are - even though this record isn't metal per se, I still think it's very well-written (if hard to digest, even after three listens) and a wonderfully mixed/mastered prog affair. I'm sure that subsequent listens will yield a deeper analysis and discovery of deeper details.

Glad to be back with you all!

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #16,264 of 29,637
I think it is totally sad to see the before and after photographs of those ancient churches and the fact that those communities lost those gathering places. Still I'm a pacifist, but realize the origin of Black Metal has to be looked at as a whole. The ideology is completely inert into the original genre. All the bands at ground zero had the same views but then we saw divergence. We even saw divergence with Burzum's own stated beliefs?

I just look at the early albums as art, though if I had a 16 year-old son and saw he was taking it all very extreme, it would worry me.

I could care less about Burzum's views, I just find his music interesting, though not always from an entertaining standpoint but from a genre archeology place. I do understand where your coming from.

To me he is not a famous character but I do see how he could be in people's minds.

I actually have never heard Burzum. I do draw a line w/ racism and neo Nazi ideology. Just have no interest in going there...I don't care how great the music is. But, I don't begrudge others. I simply find racial hatred one of the most deplorable of human behaviors that I refuse to reinforce with my $.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #16,265 of 29,637

One of my friend heard the new album and he told me that it's their best since In Search Of Truth !

Even though it's not really my style, I picked up Torn a few years ago and thought it was incredibly enjoyable in a heavy dark rock kind of way.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #16,266 of 29,637

Out now in high-resolution, the eleventh studio album by Swedish heavy metal band, =K&ft[qid]=6052024381390580633&ft[mf_story_key]=-5194974784213777866&ft[ei]=AQJvkGn1V1_caIQTVH-PvAfwDgtGx53dMIJP6Ya6j37TBdYh8a2yoOZ3fF4zFBIRqBX5_fD-16zomPuPvsWl99iMxHYY5JTsppcbrWXqFKROvd4XXtc7BuHPqyVBdHO_mQwLhiVUomaRrVt8e8PF_81WBmx3BdMuaECIOraXvCUsfAY7QLvNnj9uHa3H-ux4JnYgix7vLTADmxbCCspyW96ID1IScyDxZnkeBGHQ8CBmFPO1U5UaH39X7dYYU6gDlAn129hRMsF5PwZdfFRzIRZupzOfWQTKwCg8jeeZoxN6jSNeE8_GX0t0m6uiYNTZUWNFpITBXOj3Dq29p8COkiGRVPW0vHaYGuMzhEA5vBVQQHsIlXb6LdpwHDXcSJd9pcexhoOLEtG5WYopxmQXvyMnOMHxYAKhVDooANUPalsOKgcd5D0NPEWTFRnOuZSBoNek1F5TseexpUxpDeHFbuCw49QR6SAsiedVGLReklPKqS4xZBIx63j-6MG-T3WQBcuC7ZzL5AQpJr4FBeCcILZRFg9oz1kJCrG3edjBQvtdHPd9nGr4cfS4yQHSGZiUehpC0dNb0sT_9Gajuy-JjWHbE7g2-e2WHNQHrtxthF8mV4b8MWqgWoqIi08JPDWO2-_-I8mSt6xDQkAfW4DarPG1teFpufsL-g38-NMEAAI7rAEe9rTn8QTiTq0Ah5m-IHsg6v6URC44oKEYxacXzWOk6Qe4NJz67lDn1tRskygqdWaD5d6c2YIzejugoGRHxBf7H2ar03IklGGweuO2sA8tRANQtkkEQ-cMy06tVRdJ5QnSJ7qZfOHI2Vy_gKgFgKw28YVPJhXvMYQqTyTyvmmsw9ZVSNiE0L5GWeYgEmjmLn3Wk0nOWFRHxHxe-2NhVHUy4R5KSJncbP-fckoAhDTR3w5nmRPMLhchCTCVVxQ6Vz_N2crsELpCu1K7LKCGIuVLGjx9EwlfAgqWHc5d8lqcsbrzn2qMnoalwMEpNwmjICfe5RWd0RoP3SknEzjm5b6zPZ_ZbMa4jd3luXHz8uGj3CpdTEv_mqMrWR4UUcOG9nSHJxlz4QcLlrEPX1VgFk5UNaFBqgh_kYXHihJ5tTu5PRftx9pw8rWCM446Ugse0d_Ps24xvhYh2lS2Roalftvv-o5eQrRuAiq3Xdlg1u3sd15OVE5_ZAwEa4x4CYXh2ksOseMlskUK_V_sx_zNoNwpqz6wgut4tVCyg4-xiu1ql3FYGOOp-v7Wv0DDMCCFvwI_AsqUgxKHWePJUg68gyR67CEIUGaP9iEMapZsYJrITh3uYRPH6AYWfDcsJZpytGOqmlKoYfWd-SYw-f482XYBEyhCFIXj7GMG3DoWWwE8tT1RHCMrDSX7CVML9vUpHfTMIga3X-YEPjWQ7iXCLR-DFUhngp-j21IcU6IEmwPzCL7osEUUZVN5daimnPksjL8DDtfwWIWuakhWv6Xq99cPbxKOalqIeoMhEKocD3CEMZN8mwTGIWJZ0PdlVVHsKpcMZyCfKKm1Wy4yy3abvq1ekfo_kKwPWhRP4fpHuQwyIFcqA161fC3glvNtxkjYSVlk3Qr_d0gBiMDOGCqAsmUP8InCzIGwP32u7x3Ij_6-yVCqbhlAOTQXNygx6CG7TleGQMr9hgWAtxrU7J0AwgHRzCDfP4ljRT7U1dhnFzw-QJc1Hj4AhCS13keynWZN9jjU5QKOzX8rpPE7FL6sb4ap26fmGARHATn1Czq0ebbfQM3DM7Kkm6Y1Y7o-Xm-JbdmTsXnCHfxYGeGyhom2F6jnHyI9--2PsfFcS8kyzJF2TU_lWBp7jk1sIqByqKzeTZFWEhx0HRdMwBNh8pDz492YXivnvX77aEnEhWQqYVehfS8nQFTbNuF_FJfh5dPl1FHtYz5Bp-RXriqVzYkixA9euEUKZTt6ojHwn3M52xSYsAjvmq0b4P_CoV3bmMnka5XVnfmzHxFvyfap4XzKubhv9CQT7woCIQOP6K3jacH8VLLSla2p7Fi7eINxa-Xi3awnlTO1p0pflY1K5TMYr70wlzw2HZTE23gSG4cX15FzQYWir1-I6WImrcSRx5NRmnILt8twd4GKNHeCnIK-Xocedv3kcTMiHVZk5MUAlJDCMc7pO5zTRkYRFzOHG50kDTJlqqeaNQPgNncKdrkmE4ozB2oWjumzApkRuSMBoTWKZi8pcRpBbyefSO4wgMEP1YfEwhRTKV8I7HWRIWLV5SBpA2ctv1_Ribs5tvyxTqPgbQBObsvErGniJCv0wWWNjg-gVUlxhTaEgS16QN1fjJSIv9pfcL--R5-uMqzHLJTgPr7sk5SpBDuYlnjUXWhMwozZu3xftZ3PjBHJLF-8xDf8WeJL1mQlYynN7-2MqIAp9DnWXVLmkOe1DETQ29P8wdZlIAg2nZqdi4YKaPwI6tJ1k4RD2GsLrMFgznE63dV4KVl3Y2jq45rKTRY9oojsBTJuKZNO5yhy3D2yH-mDYW5g43_Qz1h13If8gHo2d4Gr&ft[app_id]=0&ft[fbfeed_location]=1&ft[insertion_position]=16&__md__=0]Opeth.

Metal Injection’s Greg Kennelty broke down Opeth’s Pale Communion in a track by track review, exclaiming “This record knows exactly what it's doing and nails it through and through… one of my favorite records of 2014. If not my favorite record of 2014.”

Download on HDtracks ->>> http://www.hdtracks.com/pale-communion

Feck, I preordered the Digi-Pak

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #16,267 of 29,637
Aug 26, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #16,269 of 29,637
  I actually have never hard Burzum. I do draw a line w/ racism and neo Nazi ideology. Just have not interest in going there...I don't care how great the music is. But, I don't begrudge others. I simply find racial hatred onr the most deplorable of human behaviors that  refuse to reinforce with my $.

Even worse, he approaches the racism in a religious way, insisting that the European pagan religion was racist by its very nature and so on.

Personally, I couldn't care less what the musicians are thinking; I only care about the music itself.

Even though it's not really my style, I picked up Torn a few years ago and thought it was incredibly enjoyable in a heavy dark rock kind of way.

I love the first track of that album, but still need to spend more time learning to love the others. Evergrey is one of my favorite bands, and I can enjoy listening through most of their albums, but that one wasn't as engaging for me, despite the improved production, etc.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #16,270 of 29,637
SHOUT OUT TO SOME METAL BANDS

Keep this thread going, I'm always looking for new metal

AMON AMARTH- great band.  Their new album Deciever of the Gods has the best production i've heard out of a death metal band.

KING OF ASGARD- Newer band but already dropped three albums. I use their song "the last journey" for checking sibilance but i've yet to hear a can that can separate that initial drum beat.. Horrid!

ENSIFERUM- Kings of Folk Metal in my opinion. great riffs. Their self titled album is their best by far. Very original stuff.  Check out "little dreamer"

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #16,271 of 29,637
AMON AMARTH- great band.  Their new album Deciever of the Gods has the best production i've heard out of a death metal band.

You got to get out more! :D

Honestly, not saying AA production is terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but the LP versions of say WIth Oden is crazy good (and much better than Deceiver which was insanely crushed).

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #16,272 of 29,637
I will admit, Deceiver was insanely crushed to the point where it almost didn't sound like the same band. With Oden On Our Side is such a goddam amazing album. They are also one of the best live bands out there. I always love their shows.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #16,273 of 29,637
Twilight is their best album With Oden coming in a close second but honestly i'll only listen to them with my grados or mid-hi. The production is awful. especially with the LCD 3's.  Deceiver, although not a great album, has some amazing production to me. Very clean sounding

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #16,275 of 29,637
You got to get out more!
biggrin.gif

Honestly, not saying AA production is terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but the LP versions of say WIth Oden is crazy good (and much better than Deceiver which was insanely crushed).

HA HA. I really DO need to get out more!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back