Lets Talk Metal
Dec 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #12,332 of 29,622
  I'm a silly goose, sorry :)

That's the LP version of Bongrippers Hippie Killer!
The cover was drawn by a dude named Mike Miller.

Thanks!

Slow and very heavy with no annoying monotone vocals to ruin it - I'm not in the mood now but can see myself enjoying it on another day.  Good name too, not one I'll forget in a hurry...

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #12,333 of 29,622

Speaking of awesome metal artists... Zdzislaw Beksinski was incredible. Glad to see this on an album. If any of you guys are into this dark art definitely check out his other work.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #12,334 of 29,622
Great stuff! Lord mantis especially, way underrated IMO but also nasty as hell, definitely the grossest parts of DM and BM mixed with doom, sludge and like you said, even a but of prog elements. Love that disc and their first one

I don't know why they don't get more traction. I haven't heard their first album. devastating, but totally holds my attention.

This is kind of funny. You know where I heard about them. NPR!! I couldn't believe it. NPR has some metal guy that reviews stuff on their music link...all music considered or something like that.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/01/31/146069415/lord-mantis-a-blackened-vile-perversion

I actually rather like the NPR metal year end 2012 list.....the station my parents listened to all my life :)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/bestmusic2012/2012/12/21/167695210/top-10-metal-albums-of-2012

Oh oh, does that make me hipster?

Well, I've been listening to metal since the late 70's and early 80's when it was decidedly uncool......when everyone was listening to Devo, Elvis Costello (who actually is awesome IMO), The Talking Heads, The B52s and R.E.M.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #12,335 of 29,622
  Thanks!

Slow and very heavy with no annoying monotone vocals to ruin it - I'm not in the mood now but can see myself enjoying it on another day.  Good name too, not one I'll forget in a hurry...

Everything Bongripper ever recorded is great.
Especially their two mammoth songs Hate Ashbury and The Great Barrier Reefer. Both are +70 minutes long!
Listening through them is such a mind melting experience.
I don't smoke pot or stuff like this, but listening through Hate Ashbury in its entirety.....man. The effect must be similar.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #12,337 of 29,622
I know it's probably on the thread somewhere, but OM - Advaitic Songs is great headphone music.

Not really \m/ metal, but the new Alter Bridge record Fortress is awesome. Tremonti + Kennedy is everything Creed wished it could have been. Tremonti's guitar sound is huge!

And on the horizon, SunnO))) is collaborating with Ulver. I'm waiting with baited breath.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #12,338 of 29,622
Not really \m/ metal, but the new Alter Bridge record Fortress is awesome. Tremonti + Kennedy is everything Creed wished it could have been. Tremonti's guitar sound is huge!

I just listened to this an hour ago! Not as good as the last couple albums, but it's still the best alt metal around.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #12,339 of 29,622
I know it's probably on the thread somewhere, but OM - Advaitic Songs is great headphone music.

One of the few things I love, but have mixed feelings about as well. Great album (probably my favourite of 2012), but also kind of a departure from their previous style. Still, as I've said - I love it!

Not really related, but I just relistened to Ministry's "The Land Of Rape And Honey". My fav of them and IMO one of the best albums ever. :-D

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #12,340 of 29,622
Alcest premier of Opale Single

The album that resulted from those sessions, Shelter, is set for release in January 2014, and just as Neige suggested, it is a pure shoegaze record — and shoegaze of the gentlest, lushest, airiest, most ethereal order. I think it’s a fascinating album for a number of reasons (and I hope to write about it at greater length closer to its release date) but more immediately, and more importantly, it is a staggeringly beautiful album.

Not sure I'm thrilled or crushed.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #12,341 of 29,622
I am into this:

Also be sure to check out Crimson Moonlight, especially the albums Veil of Remembrance and In Depths of Dreams Unconscious... both are brutal blackened death metal. Oh, they have a new release coming up eventually too. They're the best Christian metal band I've heard. Well, Extol is up there too.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #12,342 of 29,622
Alcest premier of Opale Single
Not sure I'm thrilled or crushed.

Looks like they are pulling an Opeth here, if you know what I mean.
From "Black Gaze" to, well, Shoegaze.
I like the song, but I'm not really sure if I like this developement.....like I said, reminds me of Opeth and heritage.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #12,343 of 29,622
I went to my local shop and the only vinyl I could find that I already have on CD to compare is Ulver's latest, War Of The Roses and the CD is already a good master so I'm reluctant to buy it again.

The only other one that looked tempting is the reissue of ISIS' debut Celestial which has been remastered by James Plotkin - three mentions on Metal-Fi as that being a good thing but another where he produced a brickwalled 7... does anyone know which way he went (or more likely was pushed) with this one?

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #12,345 of 29,622

Anyone who hasn't listened to this should really get on it. Tied for my metal AOTY along with Ulcerate's Vermis.

Mine, I think would be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back