Lets Talk Metal
Nov 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #12,166 of 29,630
I listen to quite a bit of metal and other types of music and I'm always looking for something special. So much music of a certain genre sounds the same. Sybreed is so different yet so darn good. It's heavy and head bangy, it's melodic but in a very exquisite way not in a cheesy way like a lot of melodic metal at the moment. Vocals can go from evil and dark to beautifully melodic...it's a musical adventure with these guys. Their albums are like masterpieces or symphonies almost....they have a musical theme that they keep coming back to.....they never get old.
My two favorites are The Pulse of the Awakening and God is an Automaton. If you like GIAA you like Pulse of the Awakening no doubt. The other two albums are very good as well but not quite as "cohesive" as the last two. IMO

Antares is my favorite Sybreed album. The spacey industrial undertones in that album do it for me.

Also, I'd take a 598 over a Grado anyday. It's one of my favorite headphones.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #12,167 of 29,630
Hmm... There are some bands (usually those who get big enough to briefly enter the charts) for whom the first album is the best but seems Sybreed just get better.  Not sure I'm supposed to buy all my Christmas presents and sell them to my relatives to wrap but that seems to be the way this year's going so might have to buy another Sybreed album or two to add to my collection.  Amazon wishlists and the like are too technical for my family
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #12,168 of 29,630
  Somehow, I never listened to Vader....that was awesome.

Don't get me started on Vader. They are the workhorse band of Death. Actually that song is a rerecording in a huge double CD they did of all new rerecordings of their old stuff. In reality it's the only release they put out in the last 10 years that was weak. Somehow the rerecordings did not contain the energy of the originals. So don't buy it. Though that particular song is super cool.

I could write pages about Vader but still there are more people who know more about them. Many of us here choose their last album as album of the year. The good news is they are coming out with a new album soon.

This was the giant 2CD, 1DVD set they came out with in 2008. Carnal is a great 2.00 minute rerecording on the release but sadly the rest of the songs did not hold the energy of their original release. A greatest hits of the original songs would have been better. The other issue with Vader is they still have all the attributes of an underground death metal band. They put out really limited EPs all the time which in turn makes it hard to collect their original catalog in complete form. It is almost impossible. Just another element adding to the mystique of Vader.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #12,169 of 29,630
Haven't listened to synced since Antares. Going to check out the new albums sooon

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #12,170 of 29,630
Okay, this is just fantastic. I'm not sure what you would call it, some variation of doom. In any case, both the clean and demonic vocals are great. 

I hope the rest of the album is this good.

Eye of Solitude

Yeah, Eye of Solitude is awesome! Their new album is high on my must get list. You can listen to the whole thing over on Kaotoxin Records' Bandcamp.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's death/doom btw.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #12,171 of 29,630
Yeah, Eye of Solitude is awesome! Their new album is high on my must get list. You can listen to the whole thing over on Kaotoxin Records' Bandcamp.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's death/doom btw.

Thanks! I searched for a Bandcamp site before and nothing turned up. It doesn't sound much like death metal to me except for the section around 7min, but I've only heard that one song.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #12,172 of 29,630
  Don't get me started on Vader. They are the workhorse band of Death. Actually that song is a rerecording in a huge double CD they did of all new rerecordings of their old stuff. In reality it's the only release they put out in the last 10 years that was weak. Somehow the rerecordings did not contain the energy of the originals. So don't buy it. Though that particular song is super cool.

I could write pages about Vader but still there are more people who know more about them. Many of us here choose their last album as album of the year. The good news is they are coming out with a new album soon.

This was the giant 2CD, 1DVD set they came out with in 2008. Carnal is a great 2.00 minute rerecording on the release but sadly the rest of the songs did not hold the energy of their original release. A greatest hits of the original songs would have been better. The other issue with Vader is they still have all the attributes of an underground death metal band. They put out really limited EPs all the time which in turn makes it hard to collect their original catalog in complete form. It is almost impossible. Just another element adding to the mystique of

Thanks man. Would you give me a good album to start with.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #12,173 of 29,630

Their most over-rated album.

Their first album.

My personal favorite for years and years.

My second personal favorite.

Their latest album. Pure Gold.

Their most under-rated album.

Their catalog goes on and on. The EPs are almost like full albums at times so don't forget them.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #12,174 of 29,630

Thanks! I searched for a Bandcamp site before and nothing turned up. It doesn't sound much like death metal to me except for the section around 7min, but I've only heard that one song.

Not sure if you've found it yet, but here you go:

http://listen.kaotoxin.com/album/canto-iii

Listen to the first song from 5:18 to about 7mins and you'll see why it's death/doom. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #12,175 of 29,630
Sweet! Thanks
darthsmile.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #12,176 of 29,630
  ir most over-rated album.

heir first album.

My personal favorite for years and years.

My second personal favorite.

heir latest album. Pure Gold.

heir most under-rated album.

Their catalog goes on and on. The EPs are almost like full albums at times so don't forget them.

Love Vader!  my favorites are de profundis and black to the blind, although i was very impressed with morbid reich...they really are the workhorse band in death with a very strong catalog and a Vader sound that they have remained very faithful to while experimenting enough to keep every album fresh.  good rec for those who don't know!

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #12,177 of 29,630
Antares is my favorite Sybreed album. The spacey industrial undertones in that album do it for me.

Also, I'd take a 598 over a Grado anyday. It's one of my favorite headphones.

I listened to Antares today and yes it is a great record. Lots of great energy on there and that spacey doomy synthesizer vibe is killer. But for some reason it gets distracting after about track 7....whereas their 2 latest albums keep me focused and grooving through the whole album....they have a great flow and cohesion....they're epic in their entirety not just a collection of songs. just my dumbass opinion...lol

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #12,178 of 29,630
Am I the only one who is super excited for the new Alcest album? :)

http://en.prophecy.de/alcest/alcest-shelter.html

Already pre-ordered my 2 CD+Book+T-Shirt bundle!
I hope the book is as great as the one I got with their last album.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #12,179 of 29,630
Nov 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #12,180 of 29,630

Love Vader!  my favorites are de profundis and black to the blind, although i was very impressed with morbid reich...they really are the workhorse band in death with a very strong catalog and a Vader sound that they have remained very faithful to while experimenting enough to keep every album fresh.  good rec for those who don't know!

Black To The Blind is one of the two full albums I don't own on CD. I will have to get it. I hope they come out with a new live DVD. The new band is great, all new members but Peter. Have you seen the short DVD that came with the limited edition of Necropolis? The band now is great live.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back