Lets Talk Metal
Nov 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #12,151 of 29,637
I usually prefer mellow and warm cans for metal, for a couple of reasons. The first being that metal is already a super aggressive genre and headphones that balance it out tend to work better. Both the Beyer DT990 and Ultrasone PRO 2900 are too sharp sounding a lot of the time and kind of take the enjoyment out of listening to metal. Even though I want to have fun with it, I also want to be able to crank the volume up, not be forced to turn it down to avoid getting a headache. The other reason is that metal is oftentimes not a very well-produced genre, and as many of you know so well already, listening to garbage on high-end equipment brings out all of the flaws and makes it that much worse.

I'd say that I prefer the Ultrasones about 20% of the time, and my Brainwavz HM5 the rest of the time, despite them being way less detailed and about a 5th of the cost.

I totally agree. The Grado SR325is were WAY too harsh sounding to turn up the volume (something I'm prone to do). I had some Ultrasone HFI2400, and the mids were too recessed and the highs were piercing... no bueno.

I've found the 'mellower' Sennheiser sound is quite a bit better for my tastes, but I also enjoy DT770 with metal. I had to tone down the bass some though. They don't sound fantastic (really grainy mids and highs, and highs sound pretty artificial), but they do the job. I'll be glad to upgrade whent the time comes :)

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #12,152 of 29,637
The modern Blast Beat done right! It starts at the 50 second mark. This is what em talking about.

Who is this? Youtube is blocked on my network.

Also, what style of metal is Requiem? I've never heard of them. The cover art looks like it was done by the same guy who used to do Suffocation's and Decrepit Birth's cover art, so, uh, I imagine it's good. :)

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #12,153 of 29,637
This may have been covered already but Sybreed is a fantastic band.  They only have 4 studio albums and I bought em all. Also Heaven Shall Burn's new album "Veto" is badass as well. Six Feet Under's new album "Unborn" is likewise killer! Check em out.
Anybody seen any good shows lately? Ive seen High on Fire with Kvelertak, Kreator with Overkill, Iron Maiden with Megadeth and Rob Zombie with Korn all in the past month or so! Wear your Hearo's earplugs and you wont need hearing aids when u get to my age...LOL

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #12,154 of 29,637
The modern Blast Beat done right! It starts at the 50 second mark. This is what em talking about.

Who is this? Youtube is blocked on my network.

Also, what style of metal is Requiem? I've never heard of them. The cover art looks like it was done by the same guy who used to do Suffocation's and Decrepit Birth's cover art, so, uh, I imagine it's good. :)

Yes, Requiem is fantastic, the cover does look like an album cover by Dan Seagrave who did Suffocations art. Even if you don't have YouTube there is a link on the post to the band page on Encyclopedia Metalium. They are a little known band that makes great new Death Metal which is fresh sounding still using the basic ideas that bands like Vader use. Maybe a little basic at times but that makes Requiem all the more easy to get into. I haven't checked but I bet they have a MySpace page where you could hear their tunes.:beerchug:

There are a ton of bands called Requiem so make sure you find Swiss Requiem.

Vader is the video I posted just as an example of blasts done right.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #12,155 of 29,637
Cool, thanks for that. I will check them out. I kind of dig more complicated death metal, but some old school sounds are nice from time to time.

You seem well versed in metal. Ever listen to Martyr? One of the most underrated tech death bands around. I can't embed anything, so here are a couple links:

Lost In Sanity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gk0_7bz_Zg

I can't find a video of the song Nameless, Faceless, Neverborn, but this dude's guitar cover of it is good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzCvRlFAt8

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #12,156 of 29,637
Cool, thanks for that. I will check them out. I kind of dig more complicated death metal, but some old school sounds are nice from time to time.

You seem well versed in metal. Ever listen to Martyr? One of the most underrated tech death bands around. I can't embed anything, so here are a couple links:

Lost In Sanity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gk0_7bz_Zg

I can't find a video of the song Nameless, Faceless, Neverborn, but this dude's guitar cover of it is good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzCvRlFAt8

Yes, thanks, amazing how that guy learned such a technical guitar song with the tabs Martyr released. Not sure if I like the vocals but it may take some time. Usually vocals are hard at times to get into with a new band, then later they sink in.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #12,158 of 29,637

Didn't like the drumming. It's something I've been noticing more and more lately, and something just about every metal band I've heard does from time to time. It's when the drummer just alternates between the bass and sharp drums as fast as he can, it just ruins the flow in the music for me. It was very noticeable when the drums first kicked in on the first track. It's this kind of drumming that ruined both Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose from In Flames. Now I love In Flames, and have since I was thirteen, but I really hate it when they ruin their songs with drumming like that. Specific examples are the verses on Take This Life and Leeches from Come Clarity, and the chorus on I'm the Highway from A Sense of Purpose. This is so sad, because I love the chorus on both Take This Life and Leeches, and the verses on I'm the Highway are just awesome. Still, I just about never listen to any of them, because the bad parts are so bad that I can't really enjoy the good parts.

I thought it worked well in that instance. I know what you mean, it is kind of jarring and I've heard it stick out badly at times too, but not there.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #12,159 of 29,637
Hey redcarmooseknuckle.....is this your job or something?  you're on here like 24 hours a day. LMAO....the dhali lama of metal.....haaahahaa!

Yep, I am on here a lot. What can I say, I love metal.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #12,160 of 29,637

evil_smiley.gif
My 6000th post right here.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Requiem/11623

evil_smiley.gif
My 6000th post right here.

You Go Girl!!!!!

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #12,161 of 29,637
  This may have been covered already but Sybreed is a fantastic band.  They only have 4 studio albums and I bought em all.

I bought God Is An Automaton in my local shop because I liked the cover
biggrin.gif

I've made some good finds this way and this is one of them, but I've also bought some crap so can't say I recommend it.  How different are their other albums and in what way(s)?

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #12,162 of 29,637
I listen to quite a bit of metal and other types of music and I'm always looking for something special. So much music of a certain genre sounds the same. Sybreed is so different yet so darn good. It's heavy and head bangy, it's melodic but in a very exquisite way not in a cheesy way like a lot of melodic metal at the moment. Vocals can go from evil and dark to beautifully melodic...it's a musical adventure with these guys. Their albums are like masterpieces or symphonies almost....they have a musical theme that they keep coming back to.....they never get old.
My two favorites are The Pulse of the Awakening and God is an Automaton. If you like GIAA you like Pulse of the Awakening no doubt. The other two albums are very good as well but not quite as "cohesive" as the last two. IMO

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #12,163 of 29,637
There was certainly a period of time when I really got annoyed by blast beats as well. But I've grown quite accustomed to them and even find them quite exciting now.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #12,164 of 29,637
Okay, this is just fantastic. I'm not sure what you would call it, some variation of doom. In any case, both the clean and demonic vocals are great. 

I hope the rest of the album is this good.

Eye of Solitude

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #12,165 of 29,637

Somehow, I never listened to Vader....that was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back