Lets Talk Metal
Nov 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #12,091 of 29,637
I wish I could count all the people who have said things to me over the years like, Oh, yeah, I like metal. Back in Black is one of my favorite albums ever-or Dream On and Sweet Emotion are some of my favorite songs in the whole, big, beautiful wild world. Or, Bon Jovi is awesome....and, he's still cute-doh!

Very sad-any list-the best most difinitive metal list-that has a hint of extremity will send them runninng for the hills.

Which is why I turn to some of the aformentioned kinds of genreic hard rock and classic rock for my house music and save my hard whisky for the car, HP's or those joyous times when I'm alone. I let a little DM or BM creep in over the loud speakrs and my wife gives me one of those looks-You're really a pscycho and you're hiding dead bodies in the attic, right?

Run for the Hills-that would make a great song title.

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #12,092 of 29,637
  I wish I could count all the people who have said things to me over the years like, Oh, yeah, I like metal. Back in Black is one of my favorite albums ever-or Dream On and Sweet Emotion are some of my favorite songs in the whole, big, beautiful wild world. Or, Bon Jovi is awesome....and, he's still cute-doh!

Very sad-any list-the best most difinitive metal list-that has a hint of extremity will send them runninng for the hills.

Which is why I turn to some of the aformentioned kinds of genreic hard rock and classic rock for my house music and save my hard whisky for the car, HP's or those joyous times when I'm alone. I let a little DM or BM creep in over the loud speakrs and my wife gives me one of those looks-You're really a pscycho and you're hiding dead bodies in the attic, right?

I was actually able to get my Wife to love HIM. Amazingly it took awhile but I would play it in another room and not say a thing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Slowly she started asking who is that. Then hay can you play that CD. She loves Bon Jovi so you could imagine what my lifes been like on her side of the music street.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #12,093 of 29,637
  I was actually able to get my Wife to love HIM. Amazingly it took awhile but I would play it in another room and not say a thing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Slowly she started asking who is that. Then hay can you play that CD. She loves Bon Jovi so you could imagine what my lifes been like on her side of the music street.

LOL!!!! I will do the same thing, once i get married. I wish my wife ends up liking Beyond Creation

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #12,094 of 29,637
Quote:
  LOL!!!! I will do the same thing, once i get married. I wish my wife ends up liking Beyond Creation

I used to have a total metal-head girlfriend in school years. It was great to drink beer with her and listen to Slayer. I should have stayed with her?

Actually though, it's better if they don't understand your music. Nothing worse than having to hear their opinion about that too!
blink.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #12,095 of 29,637

For you death heads out there, check the new Torture Division in full dynamic range (DR13) mixed by Dan Swano.

Its available for FREE in FLAC. Spread the word.

Loving it!
Hearing metal in DR13 is giving me a very hard time understanding how anyone would ever apply dynamic range compression to something that sounded this good to begin with.
I have lots of metal I like, but don't listen to very often because the SQ is just too sucky. Stone Sour is one such example.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #12,097 of 29,637

Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #12,098 of 29,637
To cut down on all the threads (darkest desires, thrash metal, black metal, death metal) I thought we should just used 1 big thread to keep discussion high and not have to search for one thread just to make a post about a death metal band.

List of Genres:

You need Symphonic Metal, Neo-Classical Metal, and Folk Metal. Though with Symphonic there is alot of cross over with Symphonic Death and Melodeath I think it should still be regarded as it's own distinct genre.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #12,099 of 29,637
  Actually though, it's better if they don't understand your music. Nothing worse than having to hear their opinion about that too!
blink.gif

Ha! You may just have a point there my friend. With me that is definitely not a problem. My 14 year old daughter who listens to every kind of pop that is spoon fed to kids is actually more tolerant than my wife. She just  gives me that teen look, Really, Dad?!

Tho, I think she may have warped view of metal since I do not fit the demographic. She probably thinks DM is something middle aged men listen to
confused_face(1).gif

I tell her-hey, at least your old man has a little swag.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #12,100 of 29,637
Man, these dudes are awesome!
http://essenceofdatum.bandcamp.com/album/event-horizon
Super technical tech tech tech....tech music.
And they are not just some "oh look how fast I can punch my instrument"-folks!
This album actually has a really nice flow to it and the songwriting is very good.
Oh and it's instrumental ♥

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #12,102 of 29,637
  Man, these dudes are awesome!
http://essenceofdatum.bandcamp.com/album/event-horizon
Super technical tech tech tech....tech music.
And they are not just some "oh look how fast I can punch my instrument"-folks!
This album actually has a really nice flow to it and the songwriting is very good.
Oh and it's instrumental

How can an instrumental tune have good songwriting?
Either that makes no sense, or I'm just being very dense.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #12,104 of 29,637

songwriter: a composer of words or music for popular songs

Songwriting doesn't have to be lyrical only. The composition of the music itself is songwriting.

Jup, that's what I meant :)

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #12,105 of 29,637

I think of good songwriting as a nice structure of melodies. More song structure than anything else. A lot of Joe Satriani songs, for example, I would definitely consider to have good songwriting. Even though he doesn't speak that guitar seems to have a voice of its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back