Lets Talk Metal
Nov 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #12,061 of 29,629

That was an interesting listen. I liked the female vocals a lot. The section starting at 6min on the last track is amazing.

I'm on my second track and this is blowing my mind!

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #12,062 of 29,629
The new WoD song is quite good...lots of anticipation for the new release on my end, especially because of the new members in the lineup (Vlad from Drudkh on drums!) 
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #12,063 of 29,629
  I like most of the bands listed. I think I like intelligent metal. I've always had trouble with Krallice. I have their first release. I feel like I appreciate the complexity, but it's pretty dense for me sit through. And, I like all kinds of weird schiit.

Really, I find Krallice to be the most accessible form of Black Metal. I have a real difficult time getting into Black and Years Past Matter to me is the most accessible Black metal album I have heard. However, you could argue that Krallice is not truly Black..

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #12,064 of 29,629
I find krallice pretentious. Not bad or anything like that, but personally I find them dense and complex for the sake of dense and complex. Even deaf haven seems more sincere to me LOL

I'm probably in the minority there but I don't spin either krallice that I have very often

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #12,066 of 29,629
  new to this field these days, any recommendation for me?

New like "completely new" or more like "I'm already listening to one or two bands"-new?

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #12,067 of 29,629

Black Metal or Metal as a whole?
I'm not very versed when it comes to BM, but if it's Metal in general I've got some suggestions for you:

I'd recommend Clayman by In Flames, it's my all time favourite album.
Stabbing the Drama by Soilwork is another good album, both of these are good representatives of Swedish Melodeath.
Rammstein is a must, any album of theirs will do, I guess. If I had to recommend one I think it'd be Reise Reise.
Metallica's Black Album is another must, even though I really can't stand the way it sounds. The music is very good though.
Other bands I like a lot are Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold, and I recommend you give them a listen too.

Hope this helps!
Also, just disregard this if you were asking about BM and already know what you like when it comed to other sub genres 
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #12,068 of 29,629
I find krallice pretentious. Not bad or anything like that, but personally I find them dense and complex for the sake of dense and complex. Even deaf haven seems more sincere to me LOL

I'm probably in the minority there but I don't spin either krallice that I have very often

Perhaps, but that seems to be the style of all the members in that band to begin with (especially Mick and Colin, if you've heard any of their past projects or solo work).  Very avant-garde and complex to say the least, with many unique elements building off a well established foundation.  I don't know if I'd really consider it black metal in the traditional sense.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #12,069 of 29,629

I'm always gonna go right to Opeth. They were my first real metal band and, I think, are really easy to get into.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #12,070 of 29,629

I'm on board with your comments. This is a band that gets much love and clearly are amazing musicians. I just can't get into them. And, I really enjoy stuff like DSO which is also pretty dense.

I've given Sunbather many more spins than I ever did from Krallice's first releast 5 years ago. I just find it much more engaging musically. A little like DT (no, nothing like DT) in  that I enjoy periodically but often zone out with enless wankery...."where's the song though all those brilliant solos!"

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #12,071 of 29,629

I'm always gonna go right to Opeth. They were my first real metal band and, I think, are really easy to get into.

As much as I love Opeth, I didn't find them that easy to get into. I had to hear Blackwater Park a few times before I really started liking it. So far I've only heard that and Heritage, both of which I've come to really love. It just took me more time than say, In Flames.

I'd like to make another album suggestion; The Golden Age of Grotesque by Marilyn Manson.

I don't like all of his stuff as much, but this album I really like. If you're going to give Manson a try I'd say start with that one.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #12,072 of 29,629

Recommendations:

1. Start with some Thrash -
Metallica - Kill em All, And Justice For All, Ride The Lightning. 
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction

2. Then switch to some old school Metal -
Ironmaiden - Number of the Beast
Motorhead 
Judas Priest
Ozzy
Black Sabbath

3. Then switch to MetalCore/Death
As I lay Dying : Frail Words Collapse
Killswitch Engage
All That Remains

4. Then switch to Death Metal
- Death - Symbolic, Sounds of Perseverance
- Obituary
- Cannibal Corpse

5. Then switch to Doom Metal
Katatonia, Anathema, In the Silence till - Monolith

6. Then switch to Tech Death
- Beyond Creation - The Aura

7. Then switch to Progressive Death
- Opeth, Enslaved, October Tide, 

7. Then switch to Black
- Darkthrone, Emperor, Immortal, Mayhem

8. Then switch to Progressive/Post Black
- Deafheaven, Krallice

9. Then switch to Obscure Metal Bands:

Onazzi Pazuzu !!
Striborg!!
Jesu!!
Horseback!!

Follow this circle, until you are able to create a stable routine of metal dosage for treating your mental ailments 

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #12,073 of 29,629
Wow, this poor dude is getting swamped with recommendations here :D
Great job!

Except for one recommendation.....Striborg.
Srsly?! One of the worst Black Metal bands I know. This dude is pooping out album after album even though he get's like the worst reviews from everywhere around the world. I don't know if he is just brave/trve/kvlt/etc. or the Tasmanian sun boiled his brain.
I guess I'm just not cool enough to enjoy this kind of BM.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #12,074 of 29,629

As much as I love Opeth, I didn't find them that easy to get into. I had to hear Blackwater Park a few times before I really started liking it. So far I've only heard that and Heritage, both of which I've come to really love. It just took me more time than say, In Flames.

Maybe it's just because I liked prog before that. Watershed and Ghost Reveries were love at first listen, and Watershed was the first album I heard where I could overlook the growls, and eventually be able to appreciate them.

Recommendations:

1. Start with some Thrash -
Metallica - Kill em All, And Justice For All, Ride The Lightning. 
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction

2. Then switch to some old school Metal -
Ironmaiden - Number of the Beast
Motorhead 
Judas Priest
Ozzy
Black Sabbath

3. Then switch to MetalCore/Death
As I lay Dying : Frail Words Collapse
Killswitch Engage
All That Remains

4. Then switch to Death Metal
- Death - Symbolic, Sounds of Perseverance
- Obituary
- Cannibal Corpse

5. Then switch to Doom Metal
Katatonia, Anathema, In the Silence till - Monolith

6. Then switch to Tech Death
- Beyond Creation - The Aura

7. Then switch to Progressive Death
- Opeth, Enslaved, October Tide, 

7. Then switch to Black
- Darkthrone, Emperor, Immortal, Mayhem

8. Then switch to Progressive/Post Black
- Deafheaven, Krallice

9. Then switch to Obscure Metal Bands:

Onazzi Pazuzu !!
Striborg!!
Jesu!!
Horseback!!

Follow this circle, until you are able to create a stable routine of metal dosage for treating your mental ailments 

Man, we think in completely opposite ways. I still can't get into your first four options. :p I went Prog Death -> Melodeath -> everything else (gradually). Although I do agree about saving BM for last.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #12,075 of 29,629
I started with Old School and Power stuff, then went to Folk, followed by Black, Tech and even weirder things :)
From Maiden and Blind Guardian to Cynic and Deafheaven...sure took some time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back