Lets Talk Metal

Discussion in 'Music' started by zackp, Jan 3, 2009.
  1. emptymt
    haha, nice work there man, I find myself liking more and more extreme stuff as time goes on, although brutal death is probably the heaviest ones that I like.
    I also doesnot like power, the only one I like is Children of Bodom, but they market themself as extreme power, so maybe that's why.
    I find power metal could sound a bit cheesy at time with the vocals, but maybe that's just me.

Deftone and SomeGuyDude like this.
  2. SomeGuyDude
    This might paint me in a bad light, but I rarely like "positive" metal, if that makes sense. When I'm firing up metal, I'm looking for something ugly and dark, and power metal just doesn't scratch that itch. Like here's a selection of some of my favorite metal albums of the past ten years or so:

Just off the top of my head. I've been on a massive slam/brutal kick so my recent history looks more like this:

upload_2017-11-17_8-48-9.png

emptymt and wrathzombie like this.
  3. wrathzombie

No Tool its fine, Lets Hope this is good :)

Deftone likes this.
  4. wrathzombie
    I can't get into Power and most Prog but I am very selective towards Black too. Death is definitely my primary choice ( Brutal, Tech Death, Old School Death, Plain Death, Death Thrash, Melo Death etc etc..)

emptymt and SomeGuyDude like this.
  5. emptymt
    just read the news abou this, new guitarist for this one.
    How do you like their last album?

6. Music Alchemist
    Too tame and formulaic. Slaughter Of The Soul is so much better.

Also check out Nightrage's first two albums if you haven't already. Tomas Lindberg is on vocals.

7. emptymt
    I might, maybe a bit later, Slaughter of The soul is the only alnum I like from At The Gates actually.

btw, I'm sure that this has been asked before, do you know any band/album that sounds like Katatonia's Brave or October Tides Rain Without End?
    I found this kind of sound really hard to find, but I like it a lot.

8. SomeGuyDude
    That's definitely a tricky sound to find multiple bands of. Off the top of my head, Swallow the Sun and Draconian might scratch the same itch?

Also, new idea: weekly "what did you buy" posts. I'm curious what folks here might have picked up in the past week!

9. HirschiAUT
    As i usually dont buy weekly but rather get big Orders a few Times a year i dont have anything last week, but the last order included:

And while im at it, some of my favourite findings the last weeks:

Enjoy :-D

SomeGuyDude likes this.
  10. SomeGuyDude
    THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Even if people don't have a purchase every week, I figure every week a few people will have stuff they've purchased.

11. ivo001
    Funny, Power and Prog Metal is almost the only kind of Metal that I can take. And Nu-Metal. Maybe it's because I dislike grunting and these subgenres sound a lot closer to Hard Rock.
    Does Alter Bridge count as Metal or Rock?

This is one of newer bands I really enjoy:

12. SomeGuyDude
    That I could definitely understand. I'm far on the other end of the spectrum, I love gutturals and growls and shrieks and all of that, and I 100% get why it sounds comically stupid to a lot of people. I think that's why I love metal (and AB seems to have people arguing if it's metal or not, I say it's rock/metal!), there's such a wide variance in sound that there's something for nearly everyone.

13. Music Alchemist
  14. Music Alchemist
    Aosoth's new album in its entirety:

Sample of the upcoming Abigor album:

"Höllenzwang - chronicles of perdition

is now being sent off to the pressing plant. True to our continuing refusal of commercial marketing, there won´t be any fancy youtube video, tons of merch or other promotion campaigns. This is the first glimpse of what you could expect on the forthcoming album - condensed to 36 minutes of pure aural evil.
    The only noteworthy information to pass on is the underlying musical / technical concept of the album: there is no - not one single - additional guitar track recorded. No additional melody, no solo, no doubletracks. Instrumentally, we limited ourselves to record a rather natural and direct album consisting of 2 guitars, a bass and „blastbeat“ free drums. To remember the original idea of early 90s Black Metal which always meant both - TRADITION and at the same time INNOVATION. The past is alive, the black flame burns bright - all hail darkness and evil!"

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017