Lets Talk Metal
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #26,631 of 29,629
This morning my brother told me a story about how a cop told him that when burglars break into homes at night (as opposed to the day, when most of them occur), it's often because they actually want to hurt people. I then posed the question: "Why? What's their motivation?" His response was something like, "You listen to heavy metal. Use your imagination." lol. He basically implied that metalheads are angry and want to hurt people, and we all know that's not true at all for the most part. I've shared a lot of metal with him, but he seems to be under the impression that the only emotion expressed in metal is anger. I think metal can express any emotion.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #26,632 of 29,629
Metal as a category makes up a relatively small percentage of my listening time. When I do listen to metal, I mostly listen to black metal (only for the sonics, not for the satanic views in some of it, which I ignore/don't take seriously). Almost all of the black metal I listen to is angry and that's cool with me.

I think the angry vibe acts as an escape valve to release aggression/violence/frustration. As a result, in my opinion, metal heads are actually far less likely to want to actually hurt people than those in the general population.

So, IMHO, angry? Oh yeah, big time. Leads to violence? HELL NO! Just the opposite.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #26,633 of 29,629
Metal as a category makes up a relatively small percentage of my listening time. When I do listen to metal, I mostly listen to black metal (only for the sonics, not for the satanic views in some of it, which I ignore/don't take seriously). Almost all of the black metal I listen to is angry and that's cool with me.

I think the angry vibe acts as an escape valve to release aggression/violence/frustration. As a result, in my opinion, metal heads are actually far less likely to want to actually hurt people than those in the general population.

So, IMHO, angry? Oh yeah, big time. Leads to violence? HELL NO! Just the opposite.

Yep. Metal can be quite relaxing! (And I do listen to nearly all other genres of music as well. But I tend to listen to metal for stimulation more than relaxation.)

I try to tell my brother the same, and that metalheads are generally great people, but he has his own ideas based more on his imagination than anything else. Too bad so many people have the same type of misconceptions. One time, I put on some melodeath for a couple who were hanging out with me, and the woman freaked out and said that type of music is made by crazy people who want to hang themselves in the bathroom. lol... At least the man had the decency to explain that it's just another type of music that some people use as "their jam" and whatnot.

You probably know that I'm really into black metal as well. I think many more emotions are expressed in the genre aside from anger, such as sorrow, fear, and even more poignant feelings like love and longing. Here's one example. (Look up the lyrics to get an even better idea.)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #26,634 of 29,629

This has been proven quite a bit, actually. Psychological studies show that negative music acts as catharsis and a source of comfort. So someone who's really sad will listen to really sad music and, far from the music making them want to kill themselves, the music helps them process the feelings and get over it. The adrenaline release from angry music can soothe those feelings.

Now, there can be something to be said of the fact that the kind of person who is constantly seeking release from violent music may be more violence inherently, but even that's reversing the cause/effect and saying the music might actually be helping stave off their urges.

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #26,636 of 29,629
Regarding violence and metal music, the Tuska festival in Finland is the most peaceful festival in our country year after year, even though they play solely metal. If I recall correctly, they usually don't have any incidents that require police involvement.

On that note, going to see In Flames this weekend. Hopefully they don't play their newer stuff too much.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #26,638 of 29,629
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #26,639 of 29,629
foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2017-06-29 19:18:31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Origin / Unparalleled Universe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR9 -0.04 dB -9.53 dB 2:24 01-Infinitesimal to the Infinite
DR9 0.00 dB -9.62 dB 3:42 02-Accident and Error
DR10 0.00 dB -11.23 dB 4:19 03-Cascading Failures, Diminishing Returns
DR9 0.00 dB -9.85 dB 3:13 04-Mithridatic
DR9 -0.03 dB -9.85 dB 2:07 05-Truthslayer
DR9 0.00 dB -9.92 dB 4:36 06-Invariance Under Transformation
DR9 0.00 dB -10.08 dB 2:35 07-Dajjal
DR9 0.00 dB -9.53 dB 4:02 08-A Burden of Prescience
DR9 0.00 dB -10.07 dB 9:55 09-Unequivocal
DR9 0.00 dB -10.41 dB 4:06 10-Revolución (Brujeria cover)

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bitrate: 320 kbps
Codec: MP3
================================================================================

That's a surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back