Lets Talk Metal
Jul 28, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #19,832 of 29,630
Three words, my friend: digital audio files. :D

All my CDs are ripped to lossless digital format and stored on a 12 TB (that's 12,000 gigabytes!) external hard drive array.

Wow!

That is some metal music!

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #19,834 of 29,630
Can anyone recommend any good new metal bands? Looking for something in the death metal or symphonic metal genres.

New as in recently formed, or new as in you've never heard them? I can't help on the symphonic metal front, but here are some good death metal bands:

Pyrrhon
Ulcerate
Crypticus
Spawn of Possession
Illogisist
Wormed
Sophicide
Vale of Pnath
Malignancy
Rune
The Chasm
Cerekloth
Artificial Brain
Diskord
Horrendous
Auroch
Blood Mortized
Preludium
Phobocosm
Defilementory
Id
Progenies
Corpsessed
Defect Designer
Grave Miasma
Beyond Creation
Mitochondrian
Just Before Dawn
Demilich
Baring Teeth
Ad Nauseum
Sulphur Aeon
Putrevore
Unhuman
Defaced
Sarpantium
Kronos
Defeated Sanity
Mithras
Corpse Garden

There are hundreds more, but the list is annoyingly long already; I'm sure you'll find something you haven't heard but will enjoy in there. Happy hunting.

Edit: I'd like to add Dystrophy to the list. I'm listening to them right now and their new album is blowing my mind. I've listened to it a few times and it's finally clicking. It's like sombody slowed down Gorguts making them more ominous sounding. Killer stuff indeed.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #19,835 of 29,630
Can anyone recommend any good new metal bands? Looking for something in the death metal or symphonic metal genres.

New as in recently formed, or new as in you've never heard them?

That's what I wanna know too. (Because I don't know many bands that were just recently formed.)

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #19,836 of 29,630
Sorry for the confusion with my question. Not necessarily newly formed, but bands that released their first album. I have been away from metal scene for a while... looking for some new blood.

Thanks for the list campj. There are a few bands I haven't heard of and will be checking out.

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #19,837 of 29,630
Don't discount black metal in your search. Black metal of today is a different beast compared to ten years ago. Check out Maladie's new album, it's nearly symphonic and plenty complex. Very well written too.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #19,839 of 29,630
I've found the ultimate metal headphone. I had the Grado SR325is in the past, but it was way too bright so I sold them. People were saying that the new(ish) 325e was a lot more tame, so I bought a pair. Well, they aren't too much different from the 325is, so I did the tape mod. It's amazing what two strips of electrical tape will do to this headpone's sound! They are much thicker in the low end with plenty of punch, and the piercing highs are gone but all of the detail remains. They are slightly less airy, but I don't mind because metal doesn't require much sound stage in my opinion. I can't stop listening to these! Try it out if you have a pair.

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #19,840 of 29,630
  I've found the ultimate metal headphone. I had the Grado SR325is in the past, but it was way too bright so I sold them. People were saying that the new(ish) 325e was a lot more tame, so I bought a pair. Well, they aren't too much different from the 325is, so I did the tape mod. It's amazing what two strips of electrical tape will do to this headpone's sound! They are much thicker in the low end with plenty of punch, and the piercing highs are gone but all of the detail remains. They are slightly less airy, but I don't mind because metal doesn't require much sound stage in my opinion. I can't stop listening to these! Try it out if you have a pair.

Yes, really good. I started w/ the 225i (older version) which I've thought were a great bargain for a $200 investment and still feel that way for rock/metal/acoustic. Love it right out of an Ipod or phone no amp needed at all.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #19,842 of 29,630

Talk about electrical tape. After using the el-cheapo Sennheiser HD 439s for two months after a 200hr burn in I realized I could not live with the stock sound.

Today I did the bass modification.

The bass modification has you pulling off the pads and removing four screws which hold the drivers in place. After you pull the drivers out of the cups, Sennheiser has covered three small holes with thin plastic tape. You just pull the tape off and put the drivers back in, pads on and you have tons of bass. Maybe the most bass of any headphone I have tried. Even straight out of an iPhone.

You do have to keep the volume down as it can be heavily fatiguing at times.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #19,843 of 29,630
Maybe just uncover one or two holes.

It's funny that Grado had us adding tape to increase bass and Sennheiser has us removing tape to increase bass. Maybe they should get together and all the tape will be eliminated.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #19,844 of 29,630
Sorry for the confusion with my question. Not necessarily newly formed, but bands that released their first album. I have been away from metal scene for a while... looking for some new blood.

Here are some metal bands I like:

[...]  
Although it contains mostly extreme metal bands, there are also a few hard rock / alternative metal type of bands that may not qualify as "true" metal. You can click on each band's name to learn more about them.

Abigor, Absu, Agalloch, AgathodaimonAgoraphobic Nosebleed, Ajattara, Akercocke, Alas, Amestigon, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, And Oceans, Anorexia Nervosa, Antaeus, Aosoth, Arch Enemy, Arcturus, Astrofaes, At The Gates, Averse Sefira, Azrael, Bathory, Behemoth, Borknagar, Burzum, Children Of Bodom, Chimaira, Converge, Cradle Of Filth, Cryptopsy, Dark Fortress, Dark Funeral, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Deftones, Demoncy, DHG (Dødheimsgard), The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimension F3H, Dimension Zero, Dimensional Psychosis, Dimmu Borgir, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Dominion III, Dragonlord, Drudkh, Emperor, Enslaved, Esoteric, Evergrey, Extol, Fear Factory, Folkearth, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, Gardenian, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Green Carnation, Grimmdrasil, Haemoth, Harvist, Hate Forest, Heaven Shall Burn, Heidenreich, Hordes Of The Lunar Eclipse, Horna, Ill Niño, Ihsahn, Ildjarn, Immolation, Immortal, In Flames, InMe, Jesu, Judas Iscariot, Kalmah, Katatonia, Katharsis, Killswitch Engage, Korpiklaani, Krieg, The Kovenant, Kroda, Lacrimas Profundere, Lacuna Coil, Lamb Of God, Lengsel, Leviathan, Lifelover, Limbonic Art, Living Sacrifice, Lucifugum, Lunaris, Lurker Of Chalice, Månegarm, Marduk, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Moonspell, Morbid Angel, N.I.L., Nachtmystium, Naglfar, Nasum, Negură Bunget, Neurosis, Nevermore, Nightrage, Nile, Nokturnal Mortum, Old Man's Child, Opeth, P.O.D., Pantera, Papa Roach, Passenger, Rob Zombie, Rotting Christ, Samael, Satyricon, Sauron, Secrets Of The Moon, Shadows Fall, Shining, Silencer, Sirius, Six Feet Under, Slayer, Slipknot, Soilwork, Stabbing Westward, Staind, Static-X, Strapping Young Lad, Summoning, Susperia, Tidfall, Today Is The Day, Tristania, Twilight, Ulver, Underoath, Vital Remains, Watain, Weakling, Woods Of Ypres, Xasthur, Zao, Zyklon

Cool. Share with everyone here too: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

I'd like to compare various Grados to STAX someday. It's a funny coincidence that they both have "SR" in the model names. Wonder what it means...

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #19,845 of 29,630
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]
Maybe just uncover one or two holes.

It's funny that Grado had us adding tape to increase bass and Sennheiser has us removing tape to increase bass. Maybe they should get together and all the tape will be eliminated.

Well, you can do that, but you don't get the increase in soundstage that goes with the three hole modification. What people do is dampen the inside with Blu-Tack. Still if you want them to be able to run off portables then you maybe don't want to do that either? They are fine now though. Many get the model for $35, still Senneheiser is expensive here, I paid $$85. I'm just leaving well enough alone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back