Let's round up some favourite Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers recordings
Feb 28, 2006 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mattigol

500+ Head-Fier
So far I only got "Moanin" and love it. Some groovy swing combined with complex yet melodic soli. Which one of their recordings should I try next?
Thanks - Matthias

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 12
can't have a Blakey collection without Mosaic...

and it was just released as an RVG edition last week!

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions. I just picked up Blakey's "A night in Tunisia" of 1957 along with Bill Evans' "Portrait in Jazz" and Monk's "Brilliant Corners" from an eshop in Philly. They didn't have any other good Blakey LPs so I went for that one. I guess it's all about standards for me tonight.
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
What do you guys think about "Caravan"?

i'm not familiar enough to say anything about the album as a whole, but the title track is definitely my all time favorite version of "Caravan." i prefer it even to Ellington himself.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 12
Well unfortunately Monk's Brilliant Corners was out of stock. I will get Blakey's Night in Tunisia though and ordered Mosaic through Amazon.com.
Also have Night at Birdland Vol. 1+2 in my shopping cart. Any other recommended albums?

Are there any vinyl afficionados around who could chime in and direct me toward specific (re)issues?

thanks

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Well unfortunately Monk's Brilliant Corners was out of stock. I will get Blakey's Night in Tunisia though and ordered Mosaic through Amazon.com.
Also have Night at Birdland Vol. 1+2 in my shopping cart. Any other recommended albums?

Are there any vinyl afficionados around who could chime in and direct me toward specific (re)issues?

thanks

Actually I own the Blue Note vinyl reissues of Night at Birdland Vol. 1+2 that came out in the 80's and they sound darn good - see if you can find them somewhere on ebay or somewhere!

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 12
I think my favorite is the live: "meet you at the Jazz Corners of the world".

Wayne Shorter and Lee Morgan in top form with good RVG sound for a live recording. The tunes written by Hank Mobley are especially good.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 12
My favorites are The Big Beat, The Freedom Rider, Moanin', & Free For All!
Is there a bad Blakey recording?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back