Let's all stop swearing on the forums
Jan 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #91 of 109
I note with wry amusement that the ad to the right portrays a young woman quite well-endowed in the chest department, selling a christian dating service. The objectification of women sells things...

I thought christians were supposed to be above that sort of thing
wink.gif

forexample.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #92 of 109
**** censorship though americans think saying the "f-bomb" has a 15-megaton yield and can't help but gasp every time they hear it even if it is meant casually. So people continue to curse because it is the strongest language to get someone's attention and it's a feeling. People who overuse words like the brits saying "brilliant" to anything do not have an educated background.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #96 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I note with wry amusement that the ad to the right portrays a young woman quite well-endowed in the chest department, selling a christian dating service. The objectification of women sells things...

I thought christians were supposed to be above that sort of thing
wink.gif

forexample.gif

I have to agree that is pretty funny in an ironic sort of way! I didn't even notice it at the time -- now I'm LOL!

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #97 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<-- Al Swearingen would have a thing or two to say about this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, my feeling is that forums should be completely uncensored. Most of what we perceive as social cursing is a precept of religious teachings; yet in an ever more global world, these make even less sense. Being PC is almost impossible. Having said that, we all ought to practice common sense and respect. No big deal.

I think the forum faces more pressing issues. Trolls, personal attacks, repeating threads, moderation arriving too late, self-promotion, general smugness, apathy, supremeus' acting like supremicists, and on and on.

I also think people don't use the board features enough. If someone annoys you, put them on 'ignore'! If sig or avatar images offend you, turn them off. vBulletin even has a member reputation system that could (possibly) help us, though Jude has chosen to leave it off.

Just my random thoughts. We're each responsible for our own behavior here. It's a busy forum so whatever mades the moderators' lives easier, I can support it.

t

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #98 of 109
Another case for censorship is a simple one. Please note first though that personally I don't have anything against "foul" language unless it is used to demean a person or group of people.

Sadly, while many of us don't give a ****ing ****'s **** about the words, that some people are reading the site from work or school, and those Pointy-Haired Bosses care very much.

(or pretend to care, it's part of a meta-culture of fear)

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #99 of 109
I'm not sure why it became a 10 page thread, but the only thing I just wanted to get across was:

1. You don't need to use thi5 k*nd of language to get your swears past the filter, because it is totally unnecessary, not to mention stupid looking.

2. Our forums are already quite clean already, and it's best to keep it this way by trying to make discussions in a civil manner.

Whoever commented on my sig, it's really quite small, it doesn't even take half the space of the majority of my posts. If you're frustrated from the extra scrollage because of my sig, I can confidently say that in the most common screen resolutions, it shouldn't even be a problem.

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #100 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use "sweatermeat" in a conversation with a self-respecting woman and see if you don't a swift kick you know where.
rolleyes.gif

I'll tried slipping "sweatermeat" into conversation over dinner with the evilqueen earlier, one hand over the groin just in case...

...a frown...a confused smile..."sweatermeat?"

I guess I'd get a different response on a stranger (probably need a cup). It's not a very common word over here anyway.

redface.gif

EK

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #101 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you're a decade or two late on this one. The paper cuts have turned into gaping wounds by now.

You're probably right, sadly.

In principle, I oppose censorship in nearly every situation. But I have come to realize that there are juvenile individuals who will willingly undermine a forum simply for the joy of doing so. What's a free speech advocate to do?

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #102 of 109
it's kind of ironic, considering the intent of the op.........
to have single handedly, created, the most curse filled thread of all time.
eek.gif

run away!

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #103 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In principle, I oppose censorship in nearly every situation. But I have come to realize that there are juvenile individuals who will willingly undermine a forum simply for the joy of doing so. What's a free speech advocate to do?

Welcome to The Internet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sadly our forum culture isn't based off of comedy and creativity. We could replace the **** words with funny catchphrases just for the fun of it.

This reminds me of the Penn & Teller: BS episode about this very subject.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #104 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with your point. I think the culture of head-fi is robust enough to disuade those who do behave in that way from continuing.

Occasionaly we see a newbie who comes in with l337 speak and all that, just to be given some swift and pointed guidance on the matter by several members.

The behaviour is modified, or the individual leaves - problem solved.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #105 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welcome to The Internet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I think it's a matter of welcoming the Internet to the wider world. When the Net was the preserve of a small minority of geeks and hackers, the moron quotient was a lot lower. Now that the network is just another realm of modern society, it reflects all of the ills of the wider world. We live in an uncivil world. Hence, we have an uncivil Intenet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly our forum culture isn't based off of comedy and creativity. We could replace the **** words with funny catchphrases just for the fun of it.

I don't think that's the issue. The issue is whether people can be trusted to participate in a responsible and appropriate way. Most can, of course. But the few that can't ruin everything for everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back