Let's all stop swearing on the forums
Jan 27, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #106 of 109
Swearing is a non-issue here, especially since we all know the rules and reasons behind it being curbed here. But I have noticed more people being jackasses and that is a far bigger issue. You can have friendly banter with lots of swearing and have a demeaning and hateful conversation with absolutely no swearing. I think tone and context are far more important than the language itself.

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #108 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swearing is a non-issue here, especially since we all know the rules and reasons behind it being curbed here. But I have noticed more people being jackasses and that is a far bigger issue. You can have friendly banter with lots of swearing and have a demeaning and hateful conversation with absolutely no swearing. I think tone and context are far more important than the language itself.

I agree, to an extent. Profanity-free conversations can be absolutely vicious, and curse-riddled exchanges can be friendly and harmless.

But in either case, as you point out, discretion and decent behaviour are crucial. Neither of which can be expected from some people. If everyone treated everyone else with basic respect, this discussion would be moot.

Unfortunately, this discussion is not moot.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #109 of 109
Yeah, I remember when the net was the very heart of idealism, when it belonged mostly to professors and college students in the early 90s. We didn't have html, we had telnet with its muds and mushes, irc, ftp, and if we actually had to look something up, gopher.

As for the rest of it, I was just trying to inject a little bit of the fun of mocking the internet that we do on other forums, but it's lost on this crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back