Lenntek Pro Series IE's $50 off @Costco = $79. Anyone experienced these or seen reviews?
Apr 9, 2009 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

music065

Head-Fier
Apr 10, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 18
Looks interesting... maybe someone can chime in. Would be interested in these too possibly.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 18
I would try it but I am afraid it might be a bright sounding signature. Besides I have some Atrios to audition for biking. They are just about at the 48 hour burn-in mark and already much nicer sounding than out of the box.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 18
I've always been interested in Lenntek's products ever since their first appearance @ Costco with the Lenntek Sonix. If they have these in-store locally, I'll pick them up for a review but I highly doubt they will have it in stores. These are usually online offers. Real interesting though.

You gotta love Costco's return policy.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 18
Yes, the 90 day return policy at Costco is unbeatable. I return 2 brokien pair of V-moda vibes there at the 2.5 month mark when Costco was selling them.

Hmmm...I guess no one has tried the Lennteks yet

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 18
I just searched and found their website. Looks like they have won a few awards, but this earphone isn't even on the website
confused_face(1).gif

Lenntek Products

It also looks like one of the costco only products.

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 18
The $20 Sonix were interesting. Very bass heavy - sadly to the detriment of the mid-high to high end. Cymbals muffled and the overall soundstage was compressed and dark. Too bad because detail was good. Range was just skewed way to low. The Hip-Hop kids who cruise my neighborhood blowing out their eardrums would find the Sonix appealing I'm sure. Build was good.
I'll pop for a pair of the $79 Pros, too - what's to lose?!

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 18
The reviews on the Costco site are lulz.

So many people trying out higher-end IEMs without knowing what to listen for. SQ is not the same as enjoyment. I lol'd at something in each review. Of course, they could sound horrible, but less bass quantity than iBuds isn't really a bad thing, since the bass in those things is pretty overblown and distorted (in the ones I've listened to. I'm pretty sure the older ones sound brighter, though). The rubber (I'm guessing the cable housing?) cracking easily is the only thing that worries me.

That being said, they look like an attempt at an SCL3 clone.

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 18
I have only listened to about a half dozen songs, but I know the songs well and have been using them with the Apple DDIEM as well as the Phonak PFEs for reference.

Can you say midrange!

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 18
Sounds like a Shure clone.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have only listened to about a half dozen songs, but I know the songs well and have been using them with the Apple DDIEM as well as the Phonak PFEs for reference.

Can you say midrange!

Is that an endorsement?

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 18
Unless you are a big fan of hyper detailed midrange, look elsewhere to satisfy your next iem purchase. I can't even continue to listen to them. To me they have the personality of a good AM radio. The midrange sounds like someone was playing with an equalizer to get as much detail out of them as possible. I can only imagine the EQ shape to be something like the outline of Ayers Rock.

And it sounds compressed as you increase volume it blares. No relaxing with these phones. Just pounding mids. Bass is hinted at and treble is there but lean just overshadowed by the mids. There is just no balance. No body to voices or instruments just the top notes.

"I Don't know" mentioned Shure clone. I remember years ago listening to a lower end Shure at a Brookstone store and yes these have a similar personality. I can see how one might be impressed by hearing details that you never heard before, but its exaggerated.

I just listened to 3 songs while writing this and have to take them off. I can't take it anymore. I just plugged the Apple IEMs in and much better. I am not cringing anymore. Much smoother and balanced with decent bass. I like the Comply smalls from my PFEs with the Apple iems. Not perfect but my preference over the Lennteks. Anyhow I digress.

The small silicones that come with the Lennteks are big and take some work to get a good seal in my smallish canals. The yellow foam tips look like huge yellow drums. I cannot imagine how one would get those in your ears.

So in my opinion I would not give these IEMs consideration, unless you are a fan of aggressive midrange. I like the Apple DDIEMS much better even though I am not sure if they are keepers for me either. I will say that for $40 or so used and even $80 new the ADDIEMS are hard to beat, especially if you play around with tips to get the sound you like.

As always, sound is like wine, lots of flavors and this is only one person's opinion.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back