Lengthening a Stock Mini-System Cable?
Apr 4, 2004 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Fischer mini-system that's just going to have to do until I can afford speakers; however, there is a slight problem. I'd like to put the speakers on the other side of the room from the cd player/amp/controls part, but the cables are only about ten feet long, and my bedroom is about 12 x 14. The wires are directly attached to the speakers, and have a special connector (God knows why) that goes into the "receiver" unit. Is there any way I could lengthen the cable? And how would I do it? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've really never done any DIY at all. Thanks for any help.

Apr 4, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 5
Tennisets,

Hello there. You could do it, but it would require cutting through your cables and soldering. I wouldn't recommend it if you're worried about damaging the speakers.

This is how I would do it: I'd cut the cable through five inches away from the speakers, then solder on a new length of cable. Canare speaker cable would probably be my first choice. It can be bought at Markertek . I'd use some teflon tape then heat shrink over the connection so it looked neat and unobtrusive. For those special connectors, I'd snip the cable again an inch away and solder the end of the Canare (or whatever type of cable you'd use decide) to the wires.

As I said, if this is your first DIY project I recommend getting someone who's done something like this before to do it. If you're as stubborn as myself, feel free to email me and I can give you detailed instructions based on what type of cable you decide upon. I hope this has helped.

Apr 5, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 5
yeah um chances are you dont' need canare speaker cable.

the stuff that comes stock on most mini systems is like 22 guage wire.

so just up on to your local home depot and buy their bulk 12/14 gauge speaker wire, even that is probably overkill.

Apr 5, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Pyrotak,

Hello there. You're probably right, I was just saying what I'd do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 5
yeah i have a aiwa mini system at home with those speakers with the speaker cable attached to the speaker itself.

i was thinking about maybe dremeling out a square and then putting those binding post things on it, but i wasn't sure if the crossover in the speaker was mounted on the back wall since i didn't want to accidently destroy the speaker, so what i did was just get 22 gauge speaker wire and solder it to the end of the stock wire. my mini system's sound quality was not really good enough for me to hear a decernable difference
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back