Lenco L-175 / Pro-Ject Debut III / Other? (Turntable newbie)
May 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shiryu

New Head-Fier
Hi all

As I want to acquire a turntable, I've been searching a bit everywhere to get good information on making a good decision but it seems a bit hard to find concrete good tips on which turntable to get and which not.

I've gone to a local audio store and there were three turntables that caught my eye:

1) Lenco L-175
Pre-amp built in, USB/RCA connectivity, good design and Lenco seems to be a household name for many.
€299 / €399 (in-store/online, which seems weird to me)

2) Pro-Ject Debut III
No pre-amp, good design and apparently endorsed by a music store not far from where I live.
+/- €249

3) Audio Technica LP120-USB
Pre-amp, USB/RCA, seems to be a copy of the Technics SL-1200. Looks very retro (imo).
€249-€349 (online/in-store seems to be a big difference)

I'm currently leaning towards the Lenco as it seems to have all the qualities I'm looking for, but there isn't too much information to find about it on the internet (review-wise, etc...).
A lot of people seem to like the Pro-Ject but the fact that I need to invest in a pre-amp next to it seems somewhat of a bother (although being a newbie, I could be enlightened).
The AT LP120 is the only one I've actually seen in action and seemed to have a good sound when I heard it. I'm a bit let down by the retro design but it seems good value for money.

Any input would be appreciated as to know which direction I should be heading in & which turntable is the best bang for my buck. 
Thanks in advance everyone!

May 21, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 6
Second hand or reconditioned, genuine Technics Sl-1210Mk2.

Nothing else comes close.

May 21, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 6
Are you sure? I've just done a local search here in London and found 100s for sale at less than E500.

In fact you can find a pair for around E500. Keep the one you prefer and sell the other on.

I'm sure you could find a good clean model for less than E400 if you look around. Not much more than your suggested top end E399.

Bear in mind that when you want to upgrade, give up or replace a broken model the examples you quoted will be next to worthless. The sl1210 will be worth as much as you pay now provided you look after them.

May 22, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 6
  Are you sure? I've just done a local search here in London and found 100s for sale at less than E500.

In fact you can find a pair for around E500. Keep the one you prefer and sell the other on.

I'm sure you could find a good clean model for less than E400 if you look around. Not much more than your suggested top end E399.

Bear in mind that when you want to upgrade, give up or replace a broken model the examples you quoted will be next to worthless. The sl1210 will be worth as much as you pay now provided you look after them.

I've looked around in both Belgium and France. Either there aren't any for sale or it's one that's been severely modded/used for €400+ in the south of France (so no possibility to go pick it up etc).

I think I'll just stick to the Lenco L-175 since there doesn't seem to be much activity in this section of the forums for beginner help. Thanks for the tip though. I know Technics is reputed as a good brand but I'm just looking to get started as a casual listener to Vinyl and will be looking to get one of those later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back