Lehmann BC Linear or Gilmore GS-1
Feb 24, 2006 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking at either the Lehmann Black Cube Linear or Gilmore GS-1.
Keep in mind I have some new Sr325i’s along with Senns and AKG’s.
From the posts I’m hearing the GS-1 might be bright, my Creek OBH-11se Rev B is very good with the SR325i’s offering a smooth dynamic presentation with absolutely no noise.
Comparing the SR325i’s and the HD580’s driven by the Creek, the Grado’s win hands down, the bass is absolutely stunning, tight and extended with excellent separation of instruments and performers along with good depth and stage width.
The Senns are trying their best if we take in consideration the different sound signatures of the two phones(veiled vs clean, dark vs bright) but bass and overall definition fall short, present but loose overall, detail though is excellent.
So the GS-1 might spark up the Senns but put the SR325i’s over the top.

Any insight on those who have compared both would be great as I have no way to audition either.
Dealer also recommended the CECHD53.

No Creek bashing, live and let live, the OBH-11se rev B really is a good little amp.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 12
I wouldn't characterize the GS-1 as being bright at all, smooth and refined would be words I would be more inclined to use.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I most definitely agree that the GS-1 is *not* bright. If your source is bright, then the sound through the GS-1 will be bright. I have found the GS-1 to be true to the source. I've never heard the Lehmann.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
Another thing, I will probably end up adding the K701's to the roster

The GS-1 and the 701 are a great pairing!!
icon10.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 12
I liked the Lehmann because it has no global feedback in the amplification stage.

A very clean and pure sound, but lean compared to a tube amp or even a hybrid.

Does have a slightly bright sound but cleanly so.

Also consider the PS Audio headphone amp http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138505

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 12
I wouldn't label the GS-1 as bright either, actually quite far from it. It has, IMO, pretty sweet highs without getting irritatingly slow, woolly or undefined. I like it a lot.

However, in comparison to the Lehmann, I would say it has a more romantic touch. Not to the extent some tube amps can be, but the Lehmann is more "tidy", correct and cool. It is a very transparent amp to the source. I don't like the expression, but I think I need to call the Black Cube very neutral: It lets through every aspect of the source sound without much interference. I also wouldn't call the Black Cube bright. In comparison to the GS-1 it does have "thinner" highs with less warmth, still with very good definition, but bright it is not IMHO. A very fine amp for the one who looks for the wire-with-gain idea in amps.

I should add that I only tried the Black Cube with Sennheiser HD650 and stock cable at a meet. Hardly the ideal conditions, nevertheless clear impressions.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Well, I haven't heard the GS-1 but I do know the Lehmann very well and can confirm that it works extremely well with all the headphones you mention (and with the DIP switches on the underside of the amp you may even switch gain between 0, 10 and 20 dB). I'm using mine with Grados, Senns, Beyers and AKGs and wouldn't call it bright either. It's just quite transparent and honest to the source. It's not very forgiving to the phones you use either - thus headphones that tend to be bright will sound bright (which is why I don't use the DT880 too often...). Grados (with flats) sound just wonderful though!

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I liked the Lehmann because it has no global feedback in the amplification stage.

A very clean and pure sound, but lean compared to a tube amp or even a hybrid.

Does have a slightly bright sound but cleanly so.

Also consider the PS Audio headphone amp http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138505

My fully burnt-in Lehmann BCL is so far the most detailed and transparent amp in my collection. It has the silkiest highs I have ever heard so far. I haven't heard GS1 so can't compare directly, but I can tell as far as solid states goes you can't be wrong with Lehmann BCL - which has very good synergy with my HD650-Zu Mobius. Surprisingly it also delivers superbly with my new Audio Technica A900LTD.

FWIW,
F Lo

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Another vote for the Lehmann. As far as transistor amps go, I liked it a lot, in particular its transparency, civility and effortlessness. Excellent imaging!

See my review.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 12
I've been using a Lehmann Black Cube Linear as my main headphone amp for several months. I use it with a wide variety of headphones, including Audio-Technica, HD650, K701, RS-1, etc.

The local audio shop where I bought the Black Cube Linear has several other amps available for demo. I've listened to the Prehead MkII SE, HA-2 MkII SE, CEC HD-53R, Sugden Headmaster, AT-HA2002, AT-HA5000, Cayin and other amps with my own headphones as well as in-store demos. Many of these demo amps sounded very good, and had very good synergy with some headphones compared to the Black Cube Linear. For example, the K701 sounded very good with the CEC HD-53R, and of course the ATH-W5000 sounded very good with the AT-HA5000.

However, I still haven't heard a headphone amp that makes me want to trade in my Black Cube Linear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back