Legendary Discman: Sony D-311 (Limited Edition Model)
Oct 12, 2002 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Guys,
I don't know if any of you remember this thread about one Sony Discman in Ebay with the reserve price of 500 dollars.. Here's the link from Ebay . I manage to get the Sony D-311 on my hand on this unit from a different seller seller. For your information, I didn't pay 500 dollars on this player, in fact, much much less. I'll share some of my impression on this unit with you guys.

Built & Feature & Spec

D-311 continued the superb buiding quality of many Legendary Discmans with all metal chasis. The unit was made in Japan in 1992. According to the previous owner, D-311 is a special edition model with a limitted number of production (3000 units). The price was listed in 1992 for 450 dollars. The chassis measures 128.3 mm x 21.6 mmx147.8 mm. Given that size, the unit is very thin and slightly bigger and thicker than the 1996's Sony D-777 (remember, that the D-777 don't have the LCD on the unit!). The LCD display on the remote and on the unit is no longer equiped with backlit. The remaining time in each track is no longer available (same as Sony D-515). The unit has 1 bit dac with very powerful 9 mw/channel output. Unlike the D-515, 3 sec ESP is not standard. The unit come with LCD remote (no backlit) with Sony mdr-e552mp earphone. It has a built-in rechareable curcuit for Sony lead acid battery, BP-5. Charging time is 4 hours with the playing time of 2 hours. The line out is no longer gold plated like the D-555, D-303, and D-515. Anti-shock system is not available.

Sound Quality

D-311 features 3 levels of adjustable bassboost, and 3 levels of DDS surround mode. DDS mode was first introduced in Sony D-555 (The King of Discman-1989 model) and passed on to Sony D-515, and the d-311.

Headphone out on this unit has similar characteristic to its bigger, and more expensive brother, D-515. Listening through its headphone out with my Audio-Technica ATH-A100Ti headphone gives excellent sound production. D-311 is one smooth and liquid sounding discman. The bassboost effects only the lower notes, and doesn't effect the midrange nor the treble. The bass notes sound smooth and never muddy sounding. The soundstage is impressive and then sense of air in the recording is incredible. I'm having a blast with this Discman. D-311 also features the DDS mode.

This is how Sony's describe the DDS (Digital Dynamic Sound) in the user manual:
Emphasizing the small and inaudible sound, "Press the DSP mode button to get the "DSS" indication on the display window when listening to small sound. Then adjust the level of DDS with the EFFECT button. The sound will boosted for better audibility". When DDS is activated, the soundstage is widen with slight boost in treble. The bass stay at default position. You feel more "live" with these feature. Do I like this feature, "yes", but I prefer the bassboost feature.

I'm running out of words on how good is the headphone out on this unit. Here's the deal, today I decide to plug in my beloved Senn HD-580 to see if the D-311 will have any problem driving them. With out a question, "yes," D-311 is so amazing that it powers my Senn HD-580 with ease. There is no distortion to speak off, the music sound so great (I experience some degree of distortion through D-303, D-515's headphone out when I used them with my Senn HD-580). I can't belive it myself. Just to put thing in perspective, the headphone out + Senn HD-580 is more refine and noticably better than the line out + Fixup Super Mini + Senn HD-580. I consider the Fixup super mini to be more impressive than the TAH, but I actually like the JMT Cmoy (Hassen) better. So I'll better off listen to the HD-580 through the headphone out than using the Total airhead, and Fixup Supermini. This is the first time I felt that my Senn HD-580 is an easily power headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Now the Line out through my Meta 42 with AD845, outstanding, and very impressive. The air and ambience is more present. The lows are now slightly extend. The treble is crystal clear, and overall clarity is improved. The overall impression of the music is more liquid. I feel that I am a part of music and this combo allows me to see the texture of the music. Image placement and soundstage is significantly widen. DSP features are adjustable through the line out. This ability is only feature in D-515, and D-555. This features increase "fun" factor from the already very impressive line out.

Where is it on my Legendary Discmans list?

With out a doubt, at the very top!!!!
eek.gif
It is now my most favorite discman regarding size, brand, and price.

Conclusion

I'm very satisfied with this Discman. It belongs in the elite group of Legendary Discman (D-555, D-303, and D-515). It may lack backlit, optical output, and remote sencor, but it makes up on its excellent sounding headphone out and line out. I advise anyone who can find Sony D-311 for a reasonable price to take its as source. You won't be disappointed with your purchase. The problem remains that there were only 3000 units produced in 1992. You will be very lucky to own or listen to one. I'll entertain any question. Thanks for reading.

P.S.
I'm trying my best to post my impression on this thread. I know that I'm not a good writer (I'm an Structural Engineering student not English Major). Please, excuse me if some of impressions are not crystal clear and my grammar is not accurate. English is my 2nd language and I'm not plan to adopt it as my 1st. I would love to see some suggestions, and answer from any of you regarding this player and how to translate it better. Thanks for reading.

Disclaimer

I'm not an audiophile and I don't have 4000 worths of equipments to compare. I prefer "Enjoyment" to "Accuration." Everyone develops their own taste, and this opinion is based on mine perception. So don't ask me if i can compare any of my discman to the 500 dollars+ stand alone CD player.

Oct 12, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 30
Oct 12, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 30
Hi Purk...

Way to go on your purchase
biggrin.gif

Now, the question is ~ with me not really listening to my Discmen anymore... how much closer does the D311 come to sounding like a full sized CD Player, in comparison to either the D777 or the E905...

As good as the E905 is, I find it slightly subdued compared to my main rig (see my signature)... if the 311 comes closer... then I might be interested in hunting one down... if not, i'm hopefully acquiring a D303 next month, and that will be where my journey ends...

Your opinions will be gratefully received
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Oct 12, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 30
Duncan

I must agree with you....I find that my discman all sounded thin by comparison with my NAD521 player which is a pretty low end player....

But after getting the Technics SL-XP550, it seems to solve the thiness in the midrange....but of course there still seems to be some distance between a full deck and a pcdp.....

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 30
Ducan and gryphon1972,

Quote:

Hi Purk...

Way to go on your purchase

Now, the question is ~ with me not really listening to my Discmen anymore... how much closer does the D311 come to sounding like a full sized CD Player, in comparison to either the D777 or the E905...

As good as the E905 is, I find it slightly subdued compared to my main rig (see my signature)... if the 311 comes closer... then I might be interested in hunting one down... if not, i'm hopefully acquiring a D303 next month, and that will be where my journey ends...

Duncan, D-311, D-303, D-515, and D-555 are significantly better sounding from line out than the D-777, and D-E905. You have to hear it to believe it. I know many of you might doubt me about these legendary discman thing. Some might say, the panasonic ct-570 is the king of the hill. One of the person who can answer this question to you is "NotoriousBIG_PJ." He used to own the pana ct-570 and Cha47 headphone amp. He sold both product, b/c the 515 headphone out sounds better than the line out of CT-570 with Cha47. He is now using his RS1 directly with the D-515 headphone jack. I'll come back and finish my impression tonight after the basketball game.

By the way, I don't really think Panasonic (sl-s700, sx-500, and s651c) is up to challege of the D-E905 line out, let alone the D-515, D-311, D-555, and D-303.

Oct 13, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 30
gryphon1972,
Well, some player are really worth it. Some just doen't. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that your Technic has passed away.
frown.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 30
My impression of Sony D-311 is now updated. I also recently score on Sony D-EJ01, and of course, the line out on d-ej01 is no good when I pick up my D-311. No wonder the original price was 450 dollars!

Oct 13, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 30
Gryphon,
Thanks.
Quote:

Thats impressive purk

But its a sad think it does not have ESP meaning it has to stay on a flat stable platform

Yep, that's why my D-515 is still rock. The recover time when unit is subject to vibration is quick. I never used any of my Discman for portable anyway, that's when my Sharp MD-SS323 comes in. It must be impossible to put the ESP curcuit into the D-311 body in 1992, given similar feature + 3 sec ESP + backlit, D-515 is almost 1.5 time thicker.

Oct 13, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 30
Hmmm, I wonder how it would compare with the Sony D-25s?

Anyone know?
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back