Leckerton Audio UHA-4 VS. Headstage Arrow 3g; A Comparison. MOBILE DEVICE WARNING
Sep 18, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #136 of 155
If you are worried about driving power, spend a little more and get the UHA6 the sister of the UHA4. They have the exact same sound quality output. But with the UHA6 you can roll the op amps and the driving power is much stronger than that of the UHA4. The UHA4 is quite powerful as is in my opinion. It drives my Denon 5000s with authority.

Quote:
I will post comment from some one who own Leckerton UHA 4 :

The amp is very neutral and sweet sounding especially with regards to the mids. Very clear and detailed for a portable amp all throughout, without a hint of brightness. It is slightly dark sounding actually. It does not add any bass of it's own - it reflects the true sound of whatever headphones it is driving as evidenced by the synergy it had with my Etymotic ER-4S.

I am not sure if it can drive the LCD 2 rev 1 , but the specs on those beauties say it's only got 60 ohms of impedance, which is less than the 100 ohms of impedance it took to drive the ER-4S, so I would say it should drive it easily as well.

I like the slim line looking from Leckerton UHA 4 too, but i worry can not drive Ortho Headphone like my LCD2 Rev 2 in very good sound and impact like my friends Head Stage Arrow 2 G

Because i have not hear by my self the Leckerton UHA 4

Please advise

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #137 of 155

Quote:
If you are worried about driving power, spend a little more and get the UHA6 the sister of the UHA4. They have the exact same sound quality output. But with the UHA6 you can roll the op amps and the driving power is much stronger than that of the UHA4. The UHA4 is quite powerful as is in my opinion. It drives my Denon 5000s with authority.

Beg to differ just a bit.  The UHA6 is a better amp.  Far cleaner, better noise floor and more detail and separation IMO.  

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #138 of 155

Quote:
Beg to differ just a bit.  The UHA6 is a better amp.  Far cleaner, better noise floor and more detail and separation IMO.  

Don't they have the same stock op amp? Far cleaner actually sounds quite nice as the UHA4 is nice as is. My main qualm though is the size. Not into carrying something that big around with me lol. Probably make people think I'm carrying a bomb.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #139 of 155

Quote:
Don't they have the same stock op amp? Far cleaner actually sounds quite nice as the UHA4 is nice as is. My main qualm though is the size. Not into carrying something that big around with me lol. Probably make people think I'm carrying a bomb.

Or more likely, one of those old bricks of sorts, or just some general bulky electronic.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #141 of 155
A better circuit will give better sound, even if using the same opamp.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #143 of 155

Quote:
Do you prefer your UHA6 to the arrow?

Pure sound?  Yup, for sure.

UHA4 v. Arrow 4G is a completely different debate to have though.

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #144 of 155
Do you have the arrow 4g? Can we dabate on this lol like to hear you opinion on it. I've heard the UHA 120 smashes them all though, do you know if this is true?

Quote:

Pure sound?  Yup, for sure.

UHA4 v. Arrow 4G is a completely different debate to have though.

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #145 of 155

Quote:
Do you have the arrow 4g? Can we dabate on this lol like to hear you opinion on it. I've heard the UHA 120 smashes them all though, do you know if this is true?

I have a 4G prototype.  I listened to the UHA6S, UHA-120 and Stepdance 1 last night w/ LCD2 r.1 and HD800.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #146 of 155

Quote:
I have a 4G prototype.  I listened to the UHA6S, UHA-120 and Stepdance 1 last night w/ LCD2 r.1 and HD800.  
biggrin.gif

Could we get some comparisons. I was considering getting the UHA-120 as my next upgrade for a portable amp. Not sure if its worth it though. Is it better than the UHA6/arrow 4g?

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #147 of 155

Quote:

Thank you Lee for your help
i will order UHA 6 S.
an you recomand which op amp shall i upgrade to get the power full impact,m very goo mid and extented high ( open , not dark sound )  
please advise

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #148 of 155

Quote:
Thank you Lee for your help
i will order UHA 6 S.
an you recomand which op amp shall i upgrade to get the power full impact,m very goo mid and extented high ( open , not dark sound )  
please advise

The stock op amp gives you more clarity on the mids with slight warmth. The highs are there but I wouldn't say it adds extra (maybe slightly refined) emphasis on the highs. Anaxilus would probably know of other op amps that could help. Shoot him a pm.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #149 of 155

Quote:
Could we get some comparisons. I was considering getting the UHA-120 as my next upgrade for a portable amp. Not sure if its worth it though. Is it better than the UHA6/arrow 4g?

To me the uHA-120 sounds a bit more dynamic, full, and spacious than the Arrow (I have the 3G though)... But with some phones the Arrow's mellowness can be a blessing. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #150 of 155

Quote:
To me the uHA-120 sounds a bit more dynamic, full, and spacious than the Arrow (I have the 3G though)... But with some phones the Arrow's mellowness can be a blessing. 

This is still true w/ the 4G prototype except it is no longer as mellow but more transparent now especially if you choose to use the treble settings.  

I prefer the OPA209 to the AD8610 that comes stock in the Leckertons for transparency and resolving power.  I'll have to get some other opamps some day to play around with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back