Leaving a PCDP connected to a wall wart
May 25, 2004 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Oddball

Headphoneus Supremus
So, tell me, is it okay to leave a PCDP connected to a wall wart when not in use or is it better to disconnect it? I've always wondered about this. I'm thinking of my DCP-150 which I use as a stationary source. Should I unplug it when I'm not using it? Or does it really make a difference? It has non-working rechargeable batteries if that matters. It's a bit of a pain to disconnect it every time, but then again, I'm just paranoid sometimes so I want to take really good care of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm thinking that a) I should know this by now and b) that I've read something about this before, but searching for something as specific this is a pain. But I did try!

May 26, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
So, tell me, is it okay to leave a PCDP connected to a wall wart when not in use or is it better to disconnect it? I've always wondered about this. I'm thinking of my DCP-150 which I use as a stationary source. Should I unplug it when I'm not using it? Or does it really make a difference? It has non-working rechargeable batteries if that matters. It's a bit of a pain to disconnect it every time, but then again, I'm just paranoid sometimes so I want to take really good care of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm thinking that a) I should know this by now and b) that I've read something about this before, but searching for something as specific this is a pain. But I did try!

The greatest problem I think would be, damaging the lead-acid cell... but they are dead anyway....

You should reaaly be worried about the jewel (DCP 150)...
eggosmile.gif

May 26, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 8
By the way... how is your quest for the portable amp ODDBALL ?
cool.gif

May 26, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Oddball: I did that for years with some pcdps of mine - all are still runing today. You should take the batteries/rechargables out, though.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 26, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Okay, take out batteries and just leave it in there. Thanks DEMIW and lini!

Ah...the elusive portable amp. Er--I'm stuck at the moment deciding whether to get a new source or add a dac or just get an amp. I think I'll have an addition to my system by next year. I think I should do something for a while, then I change my mind. I might actually upgrade my headphones first...

May 31, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Just as an addendum: Plugging the wall warts into a switchable multi ac outlet is a good idea to save some energy and get some basic protection from lightning storms et cetera...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 31, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 8
I've always unplugged my wallwarts (most usually, the one that goes to my CMoy) when not in use, but that was because of heat. I'm paranoid too, and the heat they generate just scared me. I suppose it shouldn't; computers get hot, and I have no problems leaving them running for days on end. Meh, I dunno. It's not much trouble for me to reach behind the printer and plug into the surge protector.

On a sidetrip to Oddball's comment about upgrades... When/If I get money, I'll be faced the the oh-so-fun decision of getting new cans (SR 225, methinks), a DAC (prolly build one), or building a new amp, or both. Come to think of it, I'd want a new amp if I had a DAC, as I don't think a CMoy is going to take as much advantage of a DAC as, say, a PPA or PIMETA would. That being said, I also have yet to mod my AV-710, which supposedly results in some pretty worthwhile sound for the price.

EDIT: 1111th post. 15th in Binary.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks to everyone giving information in this thread. This has most likely saved me a couple of AAs while I burning in my headphones (which is continuing as we speak).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back