Leather leaching
May 22, 2020 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hashi8888

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently aquired a pair of headphones. I do not want disclose the brand at this time.

Item description stated used. So of course with hygiene and covid, I wiped it all down with rubbing alcohol. There were black stains all
over the paper towel and my hands. There was also a engine oil type smell on it so I soaked the ear pads in laundry detergent. The water instantly turned black.

I contacted the seller. They stated headphones were never used, only box damage so I contacted the manufacturer.

I then asked the manufacturer, they stated no chemicals are used.

My question is if you wipe down leater with alcohol, does it leave a black stain on the paper towel? Or this should never happen?

May 22, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Are you sure the earpads are supposed to be real leather as opposed to protein leather? Most headphones don't come with leather earpads, especially stock, protein leather (i.e. fake leather) is much more common. Either way using undiluted alcohol or soaking in laundry detergent is a bad idea (as you've learned) and also unnecessary, you're not gonna get COVID-19 from headphones that were shipping to you and if you want to clean for general hygiene reasons you need to use something more gentle than straight-up rubbing alcohol. It just sounds like the dye is leaching because you used a solvent on it.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 8
They said it is sheepskin. Maybe it’s a plastic sheep too. lol

I understand I won’t get covid from it, still to be safe.

I am getting some leather conditioner wipes.
Just odd it would produce so much black yuck.

So if it is PU leather, alcohol should not affect it?

May 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 8
They said it is sheepskin. Maybe it’s a plastic sheep too. lol

I understand I won’t get covid from it, still to be safe.

I am getting some leather conditioner wipes.
Just odd it would produce so much black yuck.

So if it is PU leather, alcohol should not affect it?

Alcohol could affect either real leather or protein leather, but they might still be sheepskin. Even real sheepskin leather is gonna be dyed and there are different dying processes they could have used.

May 22, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks.

The smell is unusually industrial.

I would expect that from cheap leather honestly. If you look into how cheap leather is made it is not at all a clean process

May 22, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Ah had this with desinfection crap on my used leather sofa... looked super crap with stains like described.. you just need some wax stuff you would use for shoes to make them wetherproof, rub it on them.. If it is realy leather than they are shine and look awesome after that..

I use self made "spoonbutter" for this . Its beewax and some quality cold pressed oil that you cook together. Works with any wood like my cuttingboards and kitchen knifes and leather and even your skin..

Ok i have no clue :wink: but if its leather use something for leather care.. if not than forget it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back