Least sibilant heaphone in the low-to-high mid-range?
Aug 13, 2011 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FoxSpirit

Head-Fier
Hi headfiers

I am pondering getting new headphones but there is ONE thing that kills listening for me hard: sibilance. I belong to those people where, listening to a sibilant device, my ears are sensitive for hours to an end. So it's a no go.

But man, do many headphones have this characteristic in various degrees. DT880, M50, Ultrasones... actually, only my Senn MX-880 buds and AKG-K319 buds are really good for me. Actually, they are a touch soft since they make even the output of my Galaxy S-II acceptable, which will saw my ears off with sharpness on my M50.
The DT-880 were even worse then the M50, I traded them for the M50. But they are still sibilant, if only to the point where after 20 minutes I have to stop or it will really get to me.

My current reference setup for that is the headphone out of a Matrix Mini-I hooked up to a Marantz PM-8003. Not the most detailed combo (mini-i) but smooth. With my ribbon tweeter speakers the sound is simply clean and detailed. I'd like to get headphones which manage the same simple cleanness. If I have to choose, I'd rather have the treble resolution if my earbuds than have the full-on sibilance of the cans I have tested so far. Oh yeah, I have one can that doesn't bother me: old AKG K-240 sextett. But they lack so much compared to what I'm used to that they are not really an option.

So dear headfiers, if you are also sibilant treble sensitive and have good reports about a headphone to share, please do. I'm looking for something in the low-to-high midrange, so no 1k headphone suggestions please
smile.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 18
I would try the lcd2 rev 1. Dont remember any sibilance with them.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
^   You're probably pushing it.

LCD-2 is only $945 
biggrin.gif

FoxSpirit, maybe try the HD650? You're mostly looking for a headphone with no boost in the 6-8kHz range. ATH-M50 has a pretty big dip at 6kHz, but then it rises fast for a 9kHz peak, so what you're hearing is probably sibilance around 8kHz. HD650 is much smoother in comparison. Browse the graphs at Headroom and Inner Fidelity to look for more.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 18
HE-300 might be worth a look, the few guys who have reported their initial impressions seem to agree that they are very easy to listen for extended periods.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 18
The HD650 is probably the best for that on a budget.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 18
low to high midrange?

the shure 840s are pretty fatigue free.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
So dear headfiers, if you are also sibilant treble sensitive and have good reports about a headphone to share, please do. I'm looking for something in the low-to-high midrange, so no 1k headphone suggestions please
smile.gif

Heya,

The SRH940 does forward highs/mids, and you can pump the volume high, and is literally sibilance free. It floored me with it's ability to do that without killing you, even at high volume. I've not be wow'd by any headphone is a long time, but this thing's ability to do that was sick. I love female vocals, and that's where you get it most, this headphone does it like it was made just for them. Plus it's just gorgeous for all genres of music, except the most bass-centric music. It has amazing bass, but it's not a subwhoofer. Overall, it's a headphone for someone who wants gorgeous detailed mids and highs, without sibilance, that is crazy comfortable. In a few more days, I'll be posting a review of it's ability in this area compared to high-end (1k) headphones. Needless to say, there's a reason I push the SRH940 to nearly everyone, it's just that good. Shure's flagship is undercosted as far as I'm concerned.

Very best,

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 18
Yep. HD600 or HD650 should work for you... nice roll-off in the highs for those sensitive to 'brightness'.
Very nice rich tonality. Transparent to outside sound.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 18
Sibilance has always been my biggest gripe with headphones, although I prefer bright over warm 'phones honestly. The AD2000 is the first (and only so far) headphone that are extended and detailed that made me re-evaluate what I thought about treble. I simply love it on these AT's, but hate it on pretty much every other 'phone I've heard, specifically DT 880/990, and the Pro 900. I will say that the highs on the K702 didn't bother me at all (post burn in), though I didn't fall in love with them like on the AD2K.

-Daniel

Quote:
I've never found my Audio Technica Ad900 sibilant, despite emphasizing the mid/upper range.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Thanks to all who answered in here. Though really, the Shures? Especially on the 940 people discussed how to get the sibilance down.
I'm not wanting "pretty fatigue free" headphones, I want zero. Nada. My stereo also has none, I will listen until I get tired/sick of hearing music, not of the system I hear. So I want headphones that behave the same, but I don't have 1k to blow on the LCD-2
frown.gif

ttol, thanks for the Hifiman suggestions, sounds great. I mean, in text. Especially since they are reportedly easy to drive, could be my portable *never without a backpack man*
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back