Least painful downgrade from AKG K-1000,looking for clarity and details and realness...
May 18, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #33 of 48
All very good suggestions except the PFR-V1 and buggalugs entire post.

I'm sorry to hear about the finances causing you to have to downgrade. I really liked the Lambdas. For me, they a somewhat similar sound with clarity and speed. For some reason, stats in general don't do it for me. I just get more satisfied with dynamic presentations and stats don't leave me satisfied long term. That being said, I still did enjoy the Lamdas before giving them to a friend.

For IEMs, the Etys have a similar sound and a bigger soundstage than the K-1000s if you can believe that... na, I'm kidding of course
tongue.gif
but they do have the same type of sound.

Obviously, nothing else matches the K-1000s sound entirely, but the Lambdas get close to the at a much smaller price.

May 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well frankly I don't like K501.
I bought a NOS (New Old Stock) one from an abandoned stock for as low as $90
biggrin.gif

Then I sell to a local for $140.

It's too harsh even after burned-in, and even my tube won't soften it.
My ears are too sensitive of high-freq.

I wonder if DT48 have this same bright sound?

PS: I also got 3 NOS Senn HD414 Anniversary Edition, hand-signed by J. Sennheiser himself
biggrin.gif

No, the DT48 is not bright. No treble emphasis in any ffequency.. The a version has severe roll off in the highs. Beyer did this for a reason. They are used as audio metric headphones. The e models are geared more toward ENT and studio use. I would not buy these phones blindly unless you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

May 19, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #39 of 48
K340 is going to be very expensive since you are going to need a very good amp for it! Also my Lambda Nova Sig's were the only ones that even approached the quality of the K1000. The 501-701, senn's, 340, Beyers and ultrasone's sound nothing like them at all imo.

May 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #40 of 48
But you can buy K340 for as low as $180 on ebay
biggrin.gif

So your amp budget can be higher.

May 19, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the K340,i sold my amp,looking into an Asus STX for a cheap DAC\amp, i'm not sure if it could drive the K340 at all...

From recent experiences I can tell you the STX cannot drive K340s. You'll be able to hear them but you'll be missing all their 'magic'. I'm driving mine from the speaker outs on my receiver and it is much much better.

May 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Sony PFR-V1.

Surely has to be in the running for that speakers on your head sound.

QFTW!

they are a unique phone, and you either love it or hate it, bit like etymotic ER4X, but they are very spatially endowed and are the wee baby budget sibling of K1K IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #45 of 48
Have you thought about DIY K1000?

I remember someone attempting to make their own using the Grado Headband as a base. Lucky, you got a crappy SR-80, you already on your way to a DIY K1000!

AKG still sells K1000 drivers!

And you can ask Fitz for lots of close up pictures and what not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back