Least goofy looking canalphones?
Apr 27, 2004 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

d3ft

100+ Head-Fier
Call me vain, but I'm quite worried about how goofy I will look wearing canalphones. The lack of pictures showing people actually wearing Shures or Etys means I have no way of deciding before I buy.

I'm particularly looking at the Shure E3s and Ety ER-6 'phones, can anyone comment on how these look in your ears? I'm mainly concerned with how far they stick out and comparisons with regular earbuds would be quite helpful.

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 21
Having owned both, the E3s are very discrete because they can be turned to sit mostly in your ear. Meanwhile the Etys stick out a ways. I also found the E3s to be the more comfortable of the two.

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 21
And to add to Lindrone's post, here are some pics of me wearing my E2's...

Pic 1
Pic 2

The E2's are bigger than the E3's and E5's, and might stick out a little farther.

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoner
There's no way you can tell if a person's wearing canal phones or hearing aids, especially the E5s.

Lol, once at Subway the guy talked really slow and over pronounced each word when I had my E2's in, he thought they were hearing aids!

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 21
Cheers guys. The over-the-ear method makes you look like a Secret Service agents lindrome and Thaddy
biggrin.gif
. Anyone have pics of ER-6?

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 21
I meant pics of someone wearing it you weapon head.
Barry Bonds' signature is no problem, finding pics of someone wearing an obscure headphone is a little harder...

Apr 27, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #12 of 21
Here are a couple of extreme close-ups of Ety's er-4, with the cable in a strange (read goofy) loop.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...s&pagenumber=1

Below these photos are some diagrams describing a mod in which the tube inside the foamies are cut. I suppose doing this mod would mean that the Etys stick out much less from the ear. Am I right? If so, this might make these phones acceptably non-goofy. Assuming the cable isn't looped of course ...
etysmile.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #13 of 21
I don't think anybody really takes much notice of somebody wearing Canalphones, they're pretty hard to see.

Try wearing the Grado RS-1's in public.
rs1smile.gif

Best wishes,

Paul.

Apr 27, 2004 at 11:17 AM Post #14 of 21
The E3c along with the EX71 definitely look like earphones. However someone might mistake you for an iPod user and you might get mugged or on the reverse side they might think you infinitely sad for using a PCDP with a pair of white earphones
evil_smiley.gif

I came across this very situation in where I was listening to the iMP-550 through the white iPod earphones. There was a bunch of guys who came into the train and sat diagonally opposite on the train. One of them said "Oh my god that's so sad... he's using the iPod earphones on a discman". One other guy asked why it was so sad and the guy explained that I wanted other people to think I had an iPod. They grinned. They stopped grinning however when I started comparing the iPod, and my next unearthing from my bag caused the first guy to declare "Oh my god, that's the new Mini! It's so small!" I left the train with quizzical looks boring into my back
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 21
I don't think of someone who doesn't want to look goofy with canalphones as vein.. I just can't imagine at my age of 38 and the amazing sound of my er4p's or grado 80's..caring what anyone thinks. No offense..just an observation. With some of the clothes and hair out there today..I doubt a pair of ety's sticking out of my ears would look noticable. As everyone else sais..just my 2 cents..hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back