Learning to like AKG and Audio Technica (okay fine i found 3 pairs i kinda like)
Sep 3, 2009 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

proteuskim

100+ Head-Fier
I will prolly pick up a pair of K702s in the near future and was wondering if there is a sonic difference between the 702 and 701 (that someone could tell me from experience).
i normally dont like the AKG sound but im trying to learn to like the neutral sound and understand why so many musicians prefer it for listening. I used to think the K701 had no bass but figured out that the bass was only heavy if the track or song was recorded with heavy bass. It was still a bit fatiguing after an hour of listening tho.
There was one guy on here who was selling his K701 because he preferred the HD650 to it but I already own Denon D7000s and I think they sound better than the HD650s.
I also checked out the Audio Technicas again and honestly cannot understand why anyone would pay so much for that sound. What is the big deal about the Audio Technica sound? I'm not trying to be a prick. I honestly want to know. I can understand why the AKGs are held in high regard but the Audio Technicas just sounded bad to me.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 52
proteuskim, is it about liking a particular manufacturers cans, or is it about liking what a pair of cans (regardless of the name on the headband) does for our music ? I happen to like the products that I've heard from both the manufacturers that you have listed, but I also accept that they both make headphones that I couldnt live with for more than 30 seconds : with the possible exception of Alessandro's tiny range, I believe that applies to all headphones.

As for trying to 'educate' ones ears to be able to 'like' neutral cans, what is the aim here ? Are you intent on attaining the mystical 'audiophile' status, or would you prefer to enjoy your music regardless of whatever coloration or imbalance a particular set of cans might imbue on said music ? My two cents worth is that a studio isnt a lounge room : I'd prefer to enjoy my music than dissect it, and I dont really care what name is on my cans (Skullcandy and Bose being the only exceptions at this point).

The further you travel down that K70* route, the more you will spend on amps/cables etc, endlessly searching for that last 5%. Personally, I'm much happier down here in the land of Mid-Fi Music Lovers.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 52
I'm VERY satisfied with the K701 and Heed CanAmp. Revealing and rather uncolored to my ears.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 52
Headphones can sound great/bad depending on one's rig.

Moreover, we all have different ears. I can never understand how one can get past listening to the SA5000 with its inherent plasticky tone over it. On the other hand, others hate the W5000 for its upper midrange coloration while I find it pleasing.

Lastly, we all have different priorities in what we would like to hear in a headphone. Some might value soundstage and imaging above all else while others might value things such as bass quantity, transparency, speed, overall balance, etc...

In short, nobody can answer your question.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm VERY satisfied with the K701 and Heed CanAmp. Revealing and rather uncolored to my ears.

How do you find the Little Dot with the 650s ? Is it sufficient to drive them to their potential ?

Tks,

estreeter

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 52
I own a couple of mid-fi Audio Technica phones (AD700 and ES7) and find the midrange is just right for me (really upfront for the ES7 and more airy for the AD700),as well as the highs being great with both phones, the bass of the AD700 is milder than the ES7 so I get the choice of which pair I want to listen to depending on my mood and the music I am listening to. I love both phones. I have heard Allesando MS1 headphones and alsdo love their sound but am on the fence about whether I want to buy a pair but am thinking hard about it. I have owned, tested, and sold a couple of lower end AKG phones and have also listened to a pair of 601's and will be honest in stating I struggle with all of the ones I have tried so far. I also have listened to many models of Senn headphones (HD555, HD595, HD600, HD650, many IEM's, and a couple of their lower end portable phones) almost all of them have boomy bass and veiled midrange which is the opposite of what I like in my music, the only one that is an exception to this is the HD650 which I loved but can not justify the cost of.

In the end it is up to each of us to find the headphone that we like regardless of manufacturer, if I found the perfect AKG or Beyer headphone tomorrow that did everything I was looking for and I could afford it I would buy it. I am an ATH fan right now simply because they have the sound I like the most and so I more willing to try them again as I buy new phones.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love AT but never heard anything under $500 new. Supposedly the lower end things aren't that great. Maybe that's why? Some of them are also a bit picky about amps. I suggest a good Eddie Current.

Correction: Very very very picky.
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 52
You can't understand that other people might have different preferences than you and hear things differently than you? Are you also unaware that one day your parents will die, and eventually you too?

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

I love AT but never heard anything under $500 new. Supposedly the lower end things aren't that great. Maybe that's why? Some of them are also a bit picky about amps. I suggest a good Eddie Current.

And that 'lower-end' would include the ES7, AD700 and AD900, 3 of the most highly regarded cans in their respective price ranges ? If you have any cans of this calibre that you regard as 'not that great', please feel free to send them to me - I expect that the postage will make it well worth it from my POV.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that 'lower-end' would include the ES7, AD700 and AD900, 3 of the most highly regarded cans in their respective price ranges ? If you have any cans of this calibre that you regard as 'not that great', please feel free to send them to me - I expect that the postage will make it well worth it from my POV.

Wait a minute, I want in on this action too LOL
L3000.gif

I am listening to my AD700 right now and am very happy
atsmile.gif
. Just about ready to switch to me ES7 as I am doing some comparison listening as I test out my shiny new RWAudio AMP1 headphone amp right now as I prepare a review for next week.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course I don't own anything of that caliber.
wink.gif
Check the profile, homey. Anyways, without naming names or calling people out, I'll just say that "highly regarded" means nothing at all to me. I trust my ears alone.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Of course I don't own anything of that caliber.
wink.gif
Check the profile, homey. Anyways, without naming names or calling people out, I'll just say that "highly regarded" means nothing at all to me. I trust my ears alone.

Yes, you own some very desirable hardware - as I said, I am more than happy for you to send me your hand-me-downs. This isnt about 'calling people out' : its about dismissing an entire line of headphones simply because you see their sub-$500 offerings as being undesirable. This isnt a peeing contest : I'm trying to get VFM from the headphones that I can afford, and here in Oz they arent as cheap and readily available as they are for many Head-Fiers.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't understand that other people might have different preferences than you and hear things differently than you? Are you also unaware that one day your parents will die, and eventually you too?

Well, I wanted to understand what it was people liked about the ATs so that I could give them another shot and see if i can appreciate what it is they are hearing. I wanted to purchase different phones for different types of music. Maybe the K701/2 will be better for classical and maybe the ATs will be better for Opera/acoustical and my D7000 for Rock/Techno. As my sig says, I still dont know what Im doing. So Im trying to learn what exactly makes some phones better than others. Instead of just saying "Bose sounds dam guuud!" being able to point out what it is about it exactly that separates it from the rest of the pack. I'm sorry if it offends you that I cant just strap on a pair of Bose triports and be okay with that for listening to all different types of music. And your attempted stab at calling me a wholly ignorant child just reveals your level of immaturity. Seriously, is it wrong to want to train my ears and learn to decipher what makes a phone technically better than another as opposed to only choosing a phone based soley on what i can hear with my current setup or in the store??

After spending hours listening to the K701 and the lower AKGs I've come to appreciate those phones for their accuracy and my ears adjusted to the neutral sound a bit. I do some music production at home and would really like a pair of accurate/technically sound headphones.

The Audio Technicas still sounded rather bland to me though. kinda hard to explain but they lacked bass in a really bad way and altho the mids were more upfront than my D7000, I still felt the sound was a bit bland. I didnt spend that much time with them tho. As I stated earlier, I would like to. and the only ATs (in production) so far that I could actually see me liking when properly matched with an amp/dac etc. are the AT W5000 and ATW1000. The other ones just didnt seem to work for me at all.

To answer earlier posts, it isnt about the name on the headphones so much as I didnt like the sound from a certain maker that experienced ears seemed to revere. I still would prolly reach for my D7000s before the K702s if I want to relax or just enjoy my music but I'm also interested in creating the best possible sound when I set up audio and eq before one my DJ gigs and when I'm in my room producing tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back