Lear BD4.2 impressions thread + Australian tour
Mar 10, 2014 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 127

svyr

Headphoneus Supremus
(as you may know) Lear have released a 4 balanced armature + 2 dynamic driver, hyrbid acrylic universal or CIEM. (hence the BD4.2 name :))

There is a lot of information here in the sponsor thread, as well as large QNA between me and lear-hk and some other people.
I have to say - Lear take much better pictures than I do with my note3 :) . The first few posts also talk about faceplate options, impedance phase charts, distortion charts, and FR for the bass response chart.

The first post there also has some info from lear, about Lear, how to contact Lear :) etc. but the whole thread is worth a browse

Here's the contact info cross posted
LEAR website : http://lear.hk
LEAR Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/LearHongKong
Inquiry : PM or Email: info@lear.hk

I 'temporarily bought' a review unit, it's made it here last Fri - 7th Mar, and I will be passing it to the following people for 2 weeks each (mail on the last day :D), starting Fri the 21st with H20Fidelity:
on it's way to->
White lotus
h20fidelity
d marc0
djvkool
svyr-away will post impressions later on
(entries closed, determined by previous tours)

post #2 will be used to link to reviews/impressions. (I'm fairly sure project86 will post a full review at some point, and I probably will too in the next 1-2 weeks)
the intention is to compare it with various IEMs, including TPEOS H300/H200, Unique Melody Mentor and 3x, Noble 4, Dunu D1000 (and who knows, maybe even D2000), Dita the Answer (std edition), probably an RDB+v1 and 1Plus2 (H20Fidelity's), Unique Melody Merlin and Rooth LSX5. and various other IEMs and sources/amps that I forgot about. (Cowon D2, Note3, Clip+/Zip, Colorfly C3, etc)

post#3 is reserved for I'm not sure what - maybe my impressions :D

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 127

The unit in question was made to the colors and specs I've requested.
It includes a blue and wine red faceplate and two SPC cables. One: Lear C2 silver plated non-oxidizing 'micro' plug one, and the other - black SPC, with an Android remote + Mic (vol+-, and pause/play buttons). Both cables were customized re length of wire from y-split to IEM. Both have MMCX plugs ($15 extra)

My customer service experience has been great (detailed responses to numbered questions most of the time, in <24h or max <48h, extensive customizations, 'double checking the order details and specifics', completed to the time quoted, completion photos and tracking number provided, and ummm, you can probably tell just how many questions I've asked by the thread above), I'm going to go ahead and assume everyone else will get the same quality of service.

So far - they're rather large and protrude of my ears by 2-3cm, but the insertion depth, comfort and isolation are 'fair' considering the size (comfort is just ok, but isolation is pretty good). One thing I'd probably prefer is relocating the socket closer to the middle of the IEM, and I'll ask lear about that for MMCX sockets. (edit: lear say that might be difficult to do, but after following their advice to reshape the plugs by heating them away from 90 deg it's less of an issue)

While I work on the initial impressions and a review, you can find some comparative pictures here: ( =) again some blurry, some poor lighting and the Lear ones in the sponsor thread are better, but these give you a comparative idea vs other IEMs)

On my end - the intention is to compare it against UM Mentor (memory, owned for 4 weeks, recently sold), Merlin (memory), Tpeos H300/200, Dunu D1000, Dita the Answer (std) with Note 3 and Clip+/Zip.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 127
Great! 

Yes, I can compare with the original 1Plus2, RDB Mini, H-300 also pair the Lear up with numerous sources including two Studio V units (2nd Edition /  3rd Anv) the little Colorfly C3, Rocco BA. I will try some amping with Tralucent T1 from line out (if the new battery arrives in time). Mostly I'm interested in the performance with this many drivers, I want to hear the tuning and focus on how technically capable the Lear BD4.2 is. I understand using this many drivers would take a lot of tuning, so the final results are quite intriguing. The best hybrid I've heard to date is Tralucents (revised) 1Plus2, I've not heard anything that sounds as good, 'close' but never quite made the extra distance 1Plus2 excels, maybe Lear have something up their sleeves. 

Cheers, 

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 127
Great! 

Yes, I can compare with the original 1Plus2, RDB Mini, H-300 also pair the Lear up with numerous sources including two Studio V units (2nd Edition /  3rd Anv) the little Colorfly C3, Rocco BA. I will try some amping with Tralucent T1 from line out (if the new battery arrives in time). Mostly I'm interested in the performance with this many drivers, I want to hear the tuning and focus on how technically capable the Lear BD4.2 is. I understand using this many drivers would take a lot of tuning, so the final results are quite intriguing. The best hybrid I've heard to date is Tralucents (revised) 1Plus2, I've not heard anything that sounds as good, 'close' but never quite made the extra distance 1Plus2 excels, maybe Lear have something up their sleeves. 

Cheers, 

re 1plus2 =) I'm relatively sure BD4.2 would be a more balanced flavour but still sufficiently exciting mids bite, and more than capable bass-wise compared, extremely capable mids details wise or with the highs extension or amount... I think you'll be very pleased re coherency, balance, and technical capability. (although I'd again like to listen to it for a few more days before being definitive :D )
(just not exactly u shaped? not entirely sure what the mids or balance on new 1+2 is like. (are there two or 3 versions vs the initial aus Syd meet?) ) Incite Gavin for a trade-in for your v1 to v2 :p + $$$? (or get a re-tour of it :D)

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 127
re 1plus2 =) I'm relatively sure BD4.2 would be a more balanced flavour but still sufficiently exciting mids bite, and more than capable bass-wise compared, extremely capable mids details wise or with the highs extension or amount...
(just not exactly u shaped? not entirely sure what the mids or balance on new 1+2 is like. (are there two or 3 versions vs the initial aus Syd meet?) ) Incite Gavin for a trade-in for your v1 to v2 :p + $$$? (or get a re-tour of it
biggrin.gif
)

I'm happy with balanced, I would prefer a neutral low end over one emphasized, especially when x2 dynamic drivers are concerned, it's about the quality not so much the quantity for me though I'm hoping for some reasonably good dynamics in general. Mostly, I want to hear how coherent the mid range is on BD4.2, using this many drivers can mix things up through the frequency range, tuning will be critical keeping everything aligned, hearing background guitars, backing vocals etc... I'm hopeful for some soul touching vocals as well from the Lear. I will say when I demoed Vison Ears Stage 2,3,4 earlier this year I wasn't overly fond of them for their asking price, I wasn't completely alone by the end of the tour either. Yes, the 1Plus2 I have is the earlier version, (before the revision).

I dont think there will be any tour for that one. :wink:

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 127
I'm happy with balanced, I would prefer a neutral low end over one emphasized, especially when x2 dynamic drivers are concerned, it's about the quality not so much the quantity for me though I'm hoping for some reasonably good dynamics in general. Mostly, I want to hear how coherent the mid range is on BD4.2, using this many drivers can mix things up through the frequency range, tuning will be critical keeping everything aligned, hearing background guitars, backing vocals etc... I'm hopeful for some soul touching vocals as well from the Lear. I will say when I demoed Vison Ears Stage 2,3,4 earlier this year I wasn't overly fond of them for their asking price, I wasn't completely alone by the end of the tour either. Yes, the 1Plus2 I have is the earlier version, (before the revision).

I dont think there will be any tour for that one. :wink:

I think you'll be happy with the bass on various bass tuning pot settings. It's quite neutral on 12 o'clock and starts getting meaner on 2+. I'll reserve my opinion on whether the vocals are both warm and detailed (but not 'exceedingly' warm), or slightly cold for a bit later :p . I'm leaning towards the former now. Anyhow - sleep and impressions later time :p

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 127
Thank you for including me in this tour Vlad!

I'd be happy to compare the LEAR BD4.2 to the Noble 4, H300, Dn-1000 and maybe even with the UM 3X (if it's still with me at the time of review).

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 127
Those things are HUGE.

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 127
Wow, the universal custom really is coming of age.  Leads a whole new meaning to "welcome to headfi sorry about your wallet" doesn't it?

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 127
Nice one @svyr

Definitely a comparison against Merlin and LSX5 from my side, and I can't wait to compare them, BD 4.2 in theory is a Merlin/LSX5 + 2nd DD.

At the moment, Merlin is my 'holy grail', it does have all the attributes I love in my preferred signature, and apparently BD 4.2 'walks all over' Merlin 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back