Leaning toward MS-1, but ambivalent
Mar 9, 2006 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

treefrog

New Head-Fier
I'm a relative newcomer, and I apologize in advance for the rambling.

I had myself nearly talked into purchasing a pair of Alessandro MS-1s (after previously eyeing the Grado SR-60s), but now I'm beginning to have a few doubts.

First of all, I love the sealed-in feel of closed headphones (physically speaking), and I'm not familiar enough with full-sized open cans to know if they'd be sufficiently "present."

Another potential problem is that I'm not quite as in love with the Koss KSC-75s as others seem to be (though I do enjoy them), and its signature is often compared to that of the SR-60/MS-1. I'm having trouble getting the 75s into a position that doesn't make the tops of my ears hurt so it's possible I'm conflating physical and aural fatigue, but once in awhile something about the overall sound gets mildly tiring and makes me want to turn down the volume a bit. I do enjoy the clarity of them, but I don't feel as enveloped by the music as I'd like (would that be the soundstage?). They're a recent acquisition, so I'll continue to play around with the clips and the equalizer. I was born with a mild-ish hearing loss, and it's possible I'm sensitive to different frequencies than the average listener. In any event, I don't have perfect ears -- I just want to be immersed in/surrounded by the music while hearing all of the details.

The phones I'm looking to buy will be mostly for desk use with a computer source (unamped), and I'd like them to be comfortable enough for long stretches. I listen to a lot of indie rock and newish alternative music, but my collection has some of everything. They'll also be for DVDs/TV/keyboard/guitar/the occasional game, but I still want them to be good music phones. Portability and isolation are not important factors, and I'd definitely like to stay at or under $100.

Thanks for reading.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 2

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
why doesn't the sony MDR-XD series no longer get any attention? I have the 300's which are worse than the 400's and they are quite good. Positioning is really good, and the sound is hard to criticize. Not to mention that they're cheap; I think you can find a pair of XD-400's for like 70 bucks. THese are awesome for movies/games, and great for most genres of music. They are closed headphones and and the soundstaging is rediculously good.

Oh, and they are incredibly comfy; I don't even feel that they are on my head, certainly up there with the dt880's in terms of comfort. You might want to check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread