Lead-free soldering
Oct 25, 2008 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nicolas2305

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a soldering station today with solder to get started into DiY (About to build 3 CMoy and 2 Mini before getting into full size). I went through the Tangeant tutorials to know how to get started but I haven't been able do find temperatures for soldering.

I haven't been able to find anything else than lead-free solder and I know it's not the best for a first tim DiYer like me. On another side I'm happy with it because I've always been concerned about environmental issues.

All this to ask if anyone could suggest at what temp I should be working with Lead-Free solder.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 5
Never did lead-free soldering, but this should help: [HAKKO] : Lead-free solder features

Anyway, for small electronics/SMD usually I set the station around 300º~320ºC, larger electronics, cables, tube sockets etc., 350º~380ºC. This is for leaded, so, for lead-free 30º~50ºC more sounds reasonable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Make sure you practice on dead electronics you should have laying around (radios, controllers, old toys, etc.) de-solder and solder components on them, to get a feel for it, you may prefer higher/lower temp, depending on the job and personal preference.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks a lot, this should help. I knew lead-free needed more heat but I didn't have any reference to start with. you just gave me one and that's what I needed.

Thanks again!

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 5
There really is no ideal temperature to set it to, you have to just set it by the way it feels. Smaller tips on your iron need lots more heat, as they don't have thermal mass to keep the tip hot and when you apply heat to something, all the heat will drain out of the tip real fast. Larger tips can be set much lower, as the thermal mass retains the heat much better. Find out the lowest temperature that works best for you and add ~20ºC on top for headroom

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 5
I was asking because it's my first time working with a station so I never had to think about temperature before. I'll work between 350° and 400° C and see what is best while testing on some leftover electronics. I won't want to work too fast first tu get used to all this. I think I have all I need thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back