LD mkII gain switches?
Oct 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blownsi

100+ Head-Fier
Just received mine and I am a little clueless on the gain settings.

It comes factory set to 10x is that ideal for 600ohm or 32ohm?

I am currently driving hd280's but have k701s on the way so I need the max output this amp can deliver. Do I need to adjust it or not? Also to access the switches do you take off the front or back panel?

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 11
My LD MKIII was delivered with a gain setting default of 3 or 4. Check your manual, it should say what way the switches should be for 10, then look under your amp at the little red switches and see if they are in that position.

High impedance 'phones need a high gain. So 300 or 600 ohm would work best with a gain of 10.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 11
mk II is set to 2 stock

you get to gain switches by removing the bottom plate

hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 11
hi, i'm interested to know how to switch to higher gain for the LDMKII too, after removing the bottom plate, then....what to set next? need to cap the Jxx jumpers or adjust the on/on little switches at the motherboard? thx

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 11
The settings should be in the manual, and you can get to the switches by removing the bottom plate. Just unscrew the two bottom screws on both the back and front plates (4 total), and the bottom will just slide off. There are two red boxes inside (1 for each channel), each with two switches, labeled 1 and 2. Your manual will tell you the switch positions for certain gain settings.

That being said...

I have the MKII, and had previously used it on the lowest gain setting (i.e. both switches set in the "on" position), and I had assumed that I would need to ramp up the gain in order to accommodate the alleged "power hungry" Sennheiser HD-600 that I purchased. Well, I never got around to resetting the switches before the phones arrived, and much to my surprise, the lowest gain setting was still more than enough for them! I usually listen between 15-20% of the volume dial reach, and never go above 25%, even on my quietest music.

So, give it a try, but you may not need to have the highest gain setting. You can always reset them if you need. That's the nice thing about these Little Dot amps! Lots of free tweaking available.
smile.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The settings should be in the manual, and you can get to the switches by removing the bottom plate. Just unscrew the two bottom screws on both the back and front plates (4 total), and the bottom will just slide off. There are two red boxes inside (1 for each channel), each with two switches, labeled 1 and 2. Your manual will tell you the switch positions for certain gain settings.

That being said...

I have the MKII, and had previously used it on the lowest gain setting (i.e. both switches set in the "on" position), and I had assumed that I would need to ramp up the gain in order to accommodate the alleged "power hungry" Sennheiser HD-600 that I purchased. Well, I never got around to resetting the switches before the phones arrived, and much to my surprise, the lowest gain setting was still more than enough for them! I usually listen between 15-20% of the volume dial reach, and never go above 25%, even on my quietest music.

So, give it a try, but you may not need to have the highest gain setting. You can always reset them if you need. That's the nice thing about these Little Dot amps! Lots of free tweaking available.
smile.gif

yes it came with a manual, but i forgot to add its all in chinese, and my chinese reading is poor, but i'm 'reading' it now, and i assume that each of the 2 red boxes switches when pointed towards the '1,2' its 'Off'? and when pointed towards 'O,N' its 'On'....duh i think so right?

think the manual states now that
gain 10 - 1 off, 2 off
gain 5 - 1 on, 2 off
gain 4 - 1 off, 2 on
gain 3 - 1 on, 2 on

....correct me if i'm wrong guys, thx

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it came with a manual, but i forgot to add its all in chinese, and my chinese reading is poor, but i'm 'reading' it now, and i assume that each of the 2 red boxes switches when pointed towards the '1,2' its 'Off'? and when pointed towards 'O,N' its 'On'....duh i think so right?

think the manual states now that
gain 10 - 1 off, 2 off
gain 5 - 1 on, 2 off
gain 4 - 1 off, 2 on
gain 3 - 1 on, 2 on

....correct me if i'm wrong guys, thx

Yeah, there you go. So, for example, I have mine on the lowest gain setting, so both switch 1 and switch 2 are in the "on" position for both boxes.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 11
^^oh imp0ssibled...arent u the guy selling your amp already on Jaben?

just wanted to know from other members.. how is the Amp for HD600?

i can buy from him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back