LCD2 weak bass? Any way to increase it?
Aug 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nieveulv

100+ Head-Fier
Rig: PC -> CENtrance Dacmini (via usb) -> audeze LCD2

Ive been hearing alot of jazz and classical music with the LCD2 and been enjoying it so much. But once i started listening to rock music, electronic music and soundtracks, im starting to feel disappointed by the lack of bass in the sound.  Especially the sound of bass guitar.
This is especially with rock music (radiohead, porcupine tree, RHCP) where the bass guitar is almost totally overpowered by the electric guitar. Is this the case with LCD2s? Or is mine faulty? Or is there something wrong with my rig...Or is all hi-fi open headphone like this?

For my portable, i used a B&W p5 and ue trifi10 unamped, and i feel the punch of the bass guitar much more than the lcd2.
For classical and jazz and lounge, the lcds blows away the p5 and trifi10
but for rock music and electronic music.....im quite disappointed with the lcd2..im thinking its much more pleasant to listen to rock music on my unamped p5 and trifi10, which cost around 20% of my desktop headphone rig...

Sorry for the rant

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 10
I personally don't find the DACMini to be especially strong in terms of bass presence and weight.  Not that I find the DACMini totally lacking...it has decent extension and control, but my unit doesn't really give me the hard driving thump.  Granted, it also will depend on source material and if you use and equalizer settings or not as well.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Is there any amp that is recommended that has good bass impact and weight? If possible i want it to be below $1000 and solid state if possible :D thus ill just use my dacmini as a DAC with a seperate amp..Thanks alot

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 10
Honestly, I still find the DACMini doesn't really "thump", even as a DAC source, but I've only tried it through my Stacker.  Most real visceral bass weight and impact I've heard was with a Benchmark DAC1 Pre, which is a little above what you want as a budget.  I also don't particularly love the rest of the presentation of the Benchmark, but that's neither here nor there.

Maybe check around with owners of the Asgard or something, if you want a relatively low-priced solid state.  I haven't listened to one for a while, but that may help fill things out for you.  You could also try fiddling with the lower frequencies in an equalizer or something.  I personally don't like to EQ my stuff, but it may be a potential alternative if you find the bass presence not to your liking, in general.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Is there any amp that is recommended that has good bass impact and weight? If possible i want it to be below $1000 and solid state if possible :D thus ill just use my dacmini as a DAC with a seperate amp..Thanks alot

For under $1K, the Lyr kicks like a mule.
biggrin.gif
(I can't take credit for that comment...it was kwkarth, but I wholeheartedly agree with it).

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Solid state on a budget: Burson HA160, or the 160D if you're selling your Dacmini.

I know what you mean about the TF10. I found it really great for rock music; but part of the appeal is the slightly-pumped-up mid-bass. The LCD2 bass, on the other hand, is more even and neutral and may never achieve the same 'fun factor'.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 10
If you're looking for solid state on a budget the GCHA could be worth a peek, it's class A, has USB, is half price and has been well-received with the LCD-2.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 10
Since you are using a PC, look up how to use a VST with you player, download a parametric equalizer called Easy-Q, use a hi-shelf centered around 150 Hz, -3 dB in anything above 150 Hz, or even a stronger one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back