LCD2,Beyer T1,Sennheiser HD800and HifiMan HE6 Shootout Impressions
Sep 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #46 of 62
Great impressions and meet.  Quite envious and congrats to all of you for making it happen.  Not a single glance of a TWag Reference X recable, though.  You haven't heard HD800s until done so with the TWag X, but that's just my opinion for now.  I heard those will be available for the LCD-2, which I have yet to hear even in stock form, so Frank's impressions were very helpful in that also.

Thanks, guys!

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #47 of 62
I guess there still is no super headphone that captures all aspects of real world sound, so we must buy based on what is most important to us.  Whether it's air, imaging, speed, transparency, tonality, and then which parts of the spectrum.  This thread is great because from my limited experience with only the HD800, I get a fairly good idea how I would feel about the others.  Though I certainly would need to listen to make sure. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #48 of 62
A couple of things.

First, Whiplash Audio does make TWag cables for the LCD-2. 

Second, following up on an earlier question of mine, did you use an SPL meter to equalize the volume levels when you had different headphones on the same amp?  Or did you just do it by ear?  If you used a meter, did you have some special CD that had test tones or white noise or whatever, or can this be done with actual music?  I plan to compare the Audeze cable with the TWag cable, but the latter is balanced, and the loudness of the headphone was clearly different with the two cables, making comparison more difficult.

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin  
" A couple of things.
Second, following up on an earlier question of mine, did you use an SPL meter to equalize the volume levels when you had different headphones on the same amp?  Or did you just do it by ear?  If you used a meter, did you have some special CD that had test tones or white noise or whatever, or can this be done with actual music?  I plan to compare the Audeze cable with the TWag cable, but the latter is balanced, and the loudness of the headphone was clearly different with the two cables, making comparison more difficult."

I brought an SPL meter. When I volume match I use pink noise.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #50 of 62
Not bad for blackberry pictures. Aaron any time you want to do it again you and Ross always welcome. I would be interested in hearing the Luxman amp and anything else you want to lug. Also the D7000 with the Siltech cable would be good for comparison.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #51 of 62

Quote:

Iown the T1 and LCD2 and I disagree with tone and timbre on the T1. What I look for when I purchase a high end headphone is tone. If tone is wrong then the can will not be musical. The T1 had pinpoint imaging and wide and deep sound stage and tone. transparency is a strong point. LCD2 sacrificwes litt space in soundstage production but does this well. I prefer trumpet recordings on the T1 and vocal recordings on the LCD2. Both excellent cans and have seen no reason to sell either one at this point.

Owning both the T1s and LCD-2s (and HD800s for that matter), I agree with Frank on his post here 100%

Very well stated Frank!
biggrin.gif

Oh and your Maggies look great!

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #53 of 62

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin  
" A couple of things.
Second, following up on an earlier question of mine, did you use an SPL meter to equalize the volume levels when you had different headphones on the same amp?  Or did you just do it by ear?  If you used a meter, did you have some special CD that had test tones or white noise or whatever, or can this be done with actual music?  I plan to compare the Audeze cable with the TWag cable, but the latter is balanced, and the loudness of the headphone was clearly different with the two cables, making comparison more difficult."

I brought an SPL meter. When I volume match I use pink noise.

Sure, the TWag X is "louder" because it's a much more efficient cable than your standard OFCC TWcu (copper) or even the SCSCag.  I also volume match but I have to admit of using the poor man's SPL meter.  The free UE iPhone app has one built in and on the iPhone 4, it works particularly well.

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #55 of 62
Frank,
You and Ross should head North on rainy Saturday/Sunday afternoon, and stop by so I can use the DV-50 and P500 regenerator.
I am running a Cary Cinema 5 amp, a McIntosh control center, and Cardas everything (although I would like to here your amazing MIT IC's.
Also, the 5,1 of the Marix, The Wall, Eric Clapton's 2008 Antigua Drug Rehab Festival (held in Texas) and the pod race on Star Wars, along with the surround version of Roxy Music's "Avalon" are indescribable.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #56 of 62

Quote:
Frank,
You and Ross should head North on rainy Saturday/Sunday afternoon, and stop by so I can use the DV-50 and P500 regenerator.
I am running a Cary Cinema 5 amp, a McIntosh control center, and Cardas everything (although I would like to here your amazing MIT IC's.
Also, the 5,1 of the Marix, The Wall, Eric Clapton's 2008 Antigua Drug Rehab Festival (held in Texas) and the pod race on Star Wars, along with the surround version of Roxy Music's "Avalon" are indescribable.

That would be fun and I have no problems coming up there on a weekend. The only problem I have now is that my daughter who is going for a D1 Track scholariship is in season and has races every Saturday until January. Her 4 biggest cross country races are in Nov and then she races in NY at Sunken Meadow early December Footlocker National Regional Qualifier. So I will be up there for couple days maybe we can hook up then .I also want her to take a peek at Stoneybrook

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker  
" Frank, You and Ross should head North on rainy Saturday/ Sunday afternoon, and stop by so I can use the DV-50 and P500 regenerator. I am running a Cary Cinema 5 amp, a McIntosh control center, and Cardas everything (although I would like to here your amazing MIT IC's. Also, the 5,1 of the Marix, The Wall, Eric Clapton's 2008 Antigua Drug Rehab Festival (held in Texas) and the pod race on Star Wars, along with the surround version of Roxy Music's "Avalon" are indescribable."

It would be nice to coordinate a time to come up and visit with Frank and myself.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #59 of 62
On your way back from the land of the Stoneys and the meadow that has sunken, let Ross know and come share the sweet spot with me.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #60 of 62

Quote:
The most seductive vocals of this gathering was the LCD-2. Amazing male and female vocals. I kept flipping through songs just to hear them on the LCD-2. With the HD800, vocals tend to stay within the mix. The Senn vocals sound great, and pure, just not as intimate. I think the other there are articulate but don't stand out one way ot the other.

Frank has mentioned that his T1 aren't "Wow" headphones. They just do everything well. I'll extend that description to the HE-6 as well. Neither is a slight. It's a compliment. The LCD-2, the HD800 and the D7000 are all "Wow" because of something they do exceptional in one or two aspects. The LCD-2 with it's rich sound and stellar vocals. The HD800 with it's wide open and balanced sound. The D7000 with it's thump bass. The T1 and the HE-6 on the other hand just go about their business playing music. That's a good thing.

In the end I had fun just having the opportunity to compare five pretty amazing headphones. I implore anyone that's seriously trying to find their favorite by reading posts on Head-Fi to stop. Please go and try to find a way to listen to as many as you can before you decide. There is no best. There is no worst. It's all about preference.

Thanks again to Frank and Aaron.

(Page 2 of 2)

That's probably the most useful piece of advice I've yet read on Head-fi (I mean that in the most respectful way).
I have Senn HD 650's, have tried HD 800's, and will try some T1's as soon as they're back in stock at my nearest local(ish) T1 stockist. And thanks for the reviews - much appreciated. 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back