LCD-X: Best Portable Amp Matchup
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

joefig44

100+ Head-Fier
I listened to these at a local store from an Arcam RHead, and they sounded great.

I'm wondering if a portable amp may sound the same or if they need more power.

I had also ordered the Fiio Q1 for my CIEMs, would that power the LCD-X or am I better off getting a bigger amp? What about the ifi xDSD?

I'm open to any suggestions, including desktop amps if that is what gets me back to equal or better sound as the Arcam RHead.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 8
The X isn't super hard to drive but will benefit from a nice desktop amp. No need for portable after all since it's not a portable headphone. Do you have a maximum budget?

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 8
The X isn't super hard to drive but will benefit from a nice desktop amp. No need for portable after all since it's not a portable headphone. Do you have a maximum budget?

My budget would be up to $700 or so. I was thinking portable more so in being portable around the house, that way I wouldn't have to always listen in one room all the time, but I'm really looking for highest audio fidelity so if it's a desktop amp then it's a desktop amp.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Q1 has enough power to drive the LCD-X, certainly, specs-wise. For portable/transportable options in the price range, maybe the Chord Mojo or iFi Micro BL? It can be nice to be able to from room to room, or from home to work, without having mulitple fixed setups.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Q1 has enough power to drive the LCD-X, certainly, specs-wise. For portable/transportable options in the price range, maybe the Chord Mojo or iFi Micro BL? It can be nice to be able to from room to room, or from home to work, without having mulitple fixed setups.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to give up anything in the sound quality department by going with a portable/transportable option. That being said, what is the advantage then of a desktop amp for these vs. a portable? Is it just that for the same amount of power a portable would cost more?

If there are advantages to a desktop amp, then please recommend one here too. Thanks!

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 8
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to give up anything in the sound quality department by going with a portable/transportable option. That being said, what is the advantage then of a desktop amp for these vs. a portable? Is it just that for the same amount of power a portable would cost more?

If there are advantages to a desktop amp, then please recommend one here too. Thanks!

My setup is all portable, b/c I listen like 60% at work and 40% at home, so I don't have any firsthand recommendations. (FWIW, I haven't heard the Mojo or iFi BL either, my main unit is an ALO CDM).

The Headamp Gilmore Lite MKII is a popular and well-regarded desktop unit that's in your budget. Or Schiit Jotunheim, or Audio-GD NFB-11/R2R-11. If you're looking for tube amp options, I'm not sure what desktop tube amps are considered best to use with planar headphones.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 8
My setup is all portable, b/c I listen like 60% at work and 40% at home, so I don't have any firsthand recommendations. (FWIW, I haven't heard the Mojo or iFi BL either, my main unit is an ALO CDM).

The Headamp Gilmore Lite MKII is a popular and well-regarded desktop unit that's in your budget. Or Schiit Jotunheim, or Audio-GD NFB-11/R2R-11. If you're looking for tube amp options, I'm not sure what desktop tube amps are considered best to use with planar headphones.

If you were 100% at home, would you swap your ALO CDM for a desktop amp or would you keep it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back