LCD-X and XC Update
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #2,176 of 2,714
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #2,177 of 2,714
No baking powder, but I have put a handful of Neutradol Vac Carpet Deodoriser in a plastic bag with the headphones (not touching).

Will have a sniff in the morning 🤠
Baking soda removes smell by absorbing it, not masking like deodorizers. activated charcoal will do the same, it's just not usually available in typical household.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #2,178 of 2,714
Morning smell update.....

They don't smell of cigarette s anymore (yay), they smell of carpet deodorizer !

Not perfect but 95% better. Trip to the shops today to get some baking soda :)

Only other downside of these beautiful cans, I was up until 2am listening to them.

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #2,180 of 2,714
New cans are officially funk-free.

Ironic urge to listen to some Rick James.

Thanks for suggestions.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #2,181 of 2,714
At least you didn't buy a used HD800 that smelled of wet gym socks. That was a classic thread of woe back in the older days of HeadFi.
Here's the thread: HD800 Story Telling Time - *Warning* Prepare thyself, not for the faint of heart - (You've been warned!)
Good Lord. If I have to sell something the last thing I want is complaints so I normally keep everything that I MIGHT sell in the future in mint condition. My LCD-X's still look and smell brand new after 9 months. The senns I have are 17 yrs old so there is very little I can do for them, they just smell like they've been 'sitting', sort of that stored clothes smell.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #2,183 of 2,714
As an heavy ex-smoker, I had no idea that I, and all my clothes, and everything I owned, smelled quite so stale. Not until you quit & your sense of smell starts returning.

20 years have passed & I now smell like a Alpine meadow (minus the cow crap)

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #2,184 of 2,714
I fell asleep yesterday wearing these, listening to a mp3 of buena vista social club.
Half woke some minutes later wondering "who is that playing a upright piano in the far left corner of my room?"
I don't know any pianists & don't own a piano. :)

Always struggled to get life like reproduction of piano music on headphones. The Lcd-X's seem to have fixed that.

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #2,185 of 2,714
Just my little old 2016 vintage LCD-X, with the old ‘non-suspension’ headband, chugging along - without EQ - to the signals from Flux Lab FA-22 via Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid cable. 🎼😀🎵
B43E92F7-B369-47E3-9FDA-13C86F6011A6.jpeg
[My favourite SS headphone amplifier for LCD-X.]

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #2,186 of 2,714
Just purchased a B stock pair of the LCD-X through Audeze. I’ve wanted to try them out for quite some time as a hopeful upgrade in SQ and a different listening experience vs my Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, but the price tag new always kept me at bay. The B stock price hooked me though :) I was also considering the HiFiman Ananda and I realize that would be a different listening experience vs the LCD-X but the comments and reviews of the X kept me thinking this is the way I wanted to go. No that being said, I don’t use a PC as a source so EQ’ing isn’t really an option for any cans I use and so it will be interesting to see if the X sound works for me without using it.

Initial amplification will just be a Schiit Magni but may be looking into upgrading that over time.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #2,187 of 2,714
Congratulations on your new headphones. I was also considering the Ananda, but wanted something more removed from the Sundara's I already own.

Not regretting that decision, the Lcd-x's are glorious.

I go uneq'd and whilst that may entail a longer brain-burn-in period, I think its worth it.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #2,189 of 2,714
I'm not anti-eq, but every time I try it I find that that gains don't outweigh the losses.

I have tried the various published eqs out there, oratory etc & tried adapting them.

I know people generally up the sub-bass on these & tinker with the treble, but I'm happy with both.

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,190 of 2,714
I'm not anti-eq, but every time I try it I find that that gains don't outweigh the losses.

I have tried the various published eqs out there, oratory etc & tried adapting them.

I know people generally up the sub-bass on these & tinker with the treble, but I'm happy with both.
The problem is that all the EQs out there try to correct the curve making it match at all costs with the harman target that doesn't work with these headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back