LCD-X and XC Update
Oct 27, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #2,161 of 2,714
For those wishing to try my EQ, I am making the file available to upload to EQualizer APO using the Include function.

The EQ was created entirely with the graphic equalizer using 478 points.

I state that the EQ was created on the basis of the frequency response of my serial model but it should more or less be good for everyone.

Let me know if you like it.

Attachments

• Audeze LCD-X Include.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 27, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #2,162 of 2,714
Further impressions of the LCD-XC: the level of detail they seem to elicit from recordings is just stunning, and very immersive.
I think back to my brief ownership of the Meze Empyrean, and how those headphones simply couldn't hack it on detail, in comparison.
With the XC I feel I'm getting very close to a TOTL experience for medium range money. It's a great proposition.

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #2,163 of 2,714
Just left the world of LCD-X and purchased an LCD-5. Things I learned about the LCD-X while owning it:

- It really is the best value in its price range as an all-rounder
- they are not as far from neutral as they would appear although they still can be improved a lot with EQ
- The easiest way to EQ them to an enjoyable target is definitely using Sonarworks (although it can be finicky at times).
- If you are buying these for their bass… pass on them and buy an LCD-2 or LCD-3 instead.
- The Carbon fibre headband is a nice touch and lowers the weight a bit.
- There is a mod done by rhythmdevils that apparently improves technicalities (did not try this)
- There are pads available through Dekoni that will likely improve on the LCD-Xs bass performance without negatively impacting the rest of the FR
- They don’t scale as much with source gear as more power-hungry headphones.

At this point I wouldn’t recommend anyone purchase an MM500 over an LCD-X unless they work in a studio, are extremely competent with EQ, or have a reliable measurement rig. There just isn’t as many measurements available of the MM500 and the general consensus so far seems to be that the LCD-X still is more competitive (with the lower price) for technicalities. Then again if you insist on never using EQ you’d probably like the mm500 more.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #2,164 of 2,714
Some really great information being posted here. Very informative. Thanks everyone.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #2,165 of 2,714
For those wishing to try my EQ, I am making the file available to upload to EQualizer APO using the Include function.

The EQ was created entirely with the graphic equalizer using 478 points.

I state that the EQ was created on the basis of the frequency response of my serial model but it should more or less be good for everyone.

Let me know if you like it.
As a proponent of EQ I applaud you and these settings!

Blessings
-J

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,166 of 2,714
Just left the world of LCD-X and purchased an LCD-5. Things I learned about the LCD-X while owning it:

- It really is the best value in its price range as an all-rounder
- they are not as far from neutral as they would appear although they still can be improved a lot with EQ
- The easiest way to EQ them to an enjoyable target is definitely using Sonarworks (although it can be finicky at times).
- If you are buying these for their bass… pass on them and buy an LCD-2 or LCD-3 instead.
- The Carbon fibre headband is a nice touch and lowers the weight a bit.
- There is a mod done by rhythmdevils that apparently improves technicalities (did not try this)
- There are pads available through Dekoni that will likely improve on the LCD-Xs bass performance without negatively impacting the rest of the FR
- They don’t scale as much with source gear as more power-hungry headphones.

At this point I wouldn’t recommend anyone purchase an MM500 over an LCD-X unless they work in a studio, are extremely competent with EQ, or have a reliable measurement rig. There just isn’t as many measurements available of the MM500 and the general consensus so far seems to be that the LCD-X still is more competitive (with the lower price) for technicalities. Then again if you insist on never using EQ you’d probably like the mm500 more.
How does the smaller diaphragm of the LCD-5 produce bass as compared to the LCD-X in your opinion?

And is the LCD-5 worth the price over the LCD-X?

Blessings,
-J

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #2,167 of 2,714
How does the smaller diaphragm of the LCD-5 produce bass as compared to the LCD-X in your opinion?

And is the LCD-5 worth the price over the LCD-X?

Blessings,
-J

In terms of the “Audeze house sound” it seems these headphones are really born of the same philosophy. They share some similarities and some differences.

When it comes to similarities, the type of bass they produce is comparable. It is a “tighter” type of bass than that of old audeze (namely LCD-2f and LCD-XC/X pre-2021 which I have demoed) which was more loose and weighty (but honestly really satisfying). The mids are more forward on both headphones.

The differences:

- Right off the bat, the tuning of the LCD-5 is more neutral. Compared to my EQed LCD-X it was hard to know which I preferred at first. Which means I don’t need to EQ the LCD-5 to get a “normal” sound signature.

- The comfort is nothing to scoff at. For me LCD-5 is a notable improvement. I don’t mind the clamp. It reminds me of the HD6xx series and isn’t as big of a problem as the weight of earlier LCDs

-Soundstage seems a little wider on the LCD-X 2022. It is probably the third most “wide-sounding” headphone in its price bracket. Only falling below the HD800s and the HifiMan Arya. The soundstage of the LCD-5 is more focused in comparison. It’s up to you whether that’s a plus or minus.. it’s a positive for me because… the sense of depth and imaging is much better on the LCD-5

- detail and separation is great on both. But the LCD-5 is noticeably better. Hard to describe but the first time I listened to an HD800s I remember cracking a smile thinking it sounded like the orchestra was just beyond the headphones in the room with me.
The LCD-5 was in the same ballpark as that. The LCD-X is more slow and a little more forgiving. Separation is great on both but again better on the LCD-5 perhaps due to FR? Hard to say what causes this.

- Sense of dynamics, punch, tactility is much more obvious on the LCD-5. It wasn’t even close… something I noticed in like 30 seconds. It’s also the thing I generally notice with higher-end audio gear. It’s the first thing I noticed when I listened to the LCD-5 and it basically convinced me that technicalities are not just BS and that there is something to more expensive gear (which was a big revelation for me) It actually convinced me to upgrade rather than downgrade to
The Aeon 2 Noire (which is what I was considering doing at the time).

So that brings me to your question “is it worth it”. I don’t know! For me it was… I couldn’t get that sound out of my head and as soon as I saw the price of used LCD-5 start to drop I jumped on it. We’re seeing an influx of people looking for the LCD-4… if you’re a basshead perhaps you’d want to grab one of those? There’s also a great deal right now on the Hifiman he1000 which is supposedly a nice can.

Is it worth buying new? Not blind but ya potentially if you aren’t going to notice the money leaving your bank account. But if you need to save up for a bit as I did then I’d just try to find a used set in good shape. The differences aren’t massive but, if you’re in this hobby for the long haul and if you’re obsessed with perfecting your audio setup the LCD-5 is a noticeable improvement over the LCD-X

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #2,168 of 2,714
In terms of the “Audeze house sound” it seems these headphones are really born of the same philosophy. They share some similarities and some differences.

When it comes it similarities, the type of bass they produce is comparable. It is a “tighter” type of bass than that of old audeze (namely LCD-2f and LCD-XC/X pre-2021 which I have demoed) which was more loose and weighty (but honestly really satisfying). The mids are more forward on both headphones.

The differences:

- Right off the bat, the tuning of the LCD-5 is more neutral. Compared to my EQed LCD-X it was hard to know which I preferred at first. Which means I don’t need to EQ the LCD-5 to get a “normal” sound signature.

- The comfort is nothing to scoff at. For me LCD-5 is a notable improvement. I don’t mind the clamp. It reminds me of the HD6xx series and isn’t as big of a problem as the weight of earlier LCDs

-Soundstage seems a little wider on the LCD-X 202. It is probably the third most “wide-sounding” headphone in its price bracket. Only falling below the HD800s and the HifiMan Arya. The soundstage of the LCD-5 is more focused in comparison. It’s up to you whether that’s a plus or minus.. it’s a positive for me because… the sense of depth and imaging is much better on the LCD-5

- Sense of dynamics, punch, tactility is much more obvious on the LCD-5. It wasn’t even close… something I noticed in like 30 seconds. It’s also the thing I generally notice with higher-end audio gear. It’s the first thing I noticed when I listened to the LCD-5 and it basically convinced me that technicalities are not just BS and that there is something to more expensive gear (which was a big revelation for me) It actually convinced me to upgrade rather than downgrade to
The Aeon 2 Noire (which is what I was considering doing at the time).

- detail and separation is great on both. But the LCD-5 is noticeably better. Hard to describe but the first time I listened to an HD800s I remember cracking a smile thinking it sounded like the orchestra was just beyond the headphones in the room with me.
The LCD-5 was in the same ballpark as that. The LCD-X is more slow and a little more forgiving.

So that brings me to your question “is it worth it”. I don’t know! For me it was… I couldn’t get that sound out of my head and as soon as I saw the price of used LCD-5 start to drop I jumped on it. We’re seeing an influx of people looking for the LCD-4… if you’re a basshead perhaps you’d want to grab one of those? There’s also a great deal right now on the Hifiman he1000 which is supposedly a nice can.

Is it worth buying new? Not blind but ya potentially if you aren’t going to notice the money leaving your bank account. But if you need to save up for a bit as I did then I’d just try to find a used set in good shape.
Thanks buddy, Very informative!
Makes me think again about maybe investing in the 5!

Blessings,
-J

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #2,169 of 2,714
I tried HD800s after i had been using the LCD-XC. Maybe it sounds strange but it felt a downgrade. I expected some kind of astounding difference since what i read about being the king of soundstage and details. In the end the XC (2021) felt superior in every way.

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #2,170 of 2,714
My Lcd x 2021's arrived today and I have spent last 6 hours solid listening to them (weight hasn't been an issue as the fit is so damn comfy)

Listening now to Radiohead's The Bends, a cd i queued up outside my local record shop to buy on release. I know this album so well, but now hearing new things on every track.

I'm a big hard bop fan & was concerned that this would not sound good on these. Whilst I still prefer my sr325e's for this, the Lcd's are no slouch here, just not as "screamy" as I like to hear Pharoah Saunders, Lee Morgan or Eric Dolphy blow.

I got them used, just got to get the cigarette smell out of them now.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #2,171 of 2,714
My Lcd x 2021's arrived today and I have spent last 6 hours solid listening to them (weight hasn't been an issue as the fit is so damn comfy)

Listening now to Radiohead's The Bends, a cd i queued up outside my local record shop to buy on release. I know this album so well, but now hearing new things on every track.

I'm a big hard bop fan & was concerned that this would not sound good on these. Whilst I still prefer my sr325e's for this, the Lcd's are no slouch here, just not as "screamy" as I like to hear Pharoah Saunders, Lee Morgan or Eric Dolphy blow.

Ugh. Cigarette smell would be no fun. Maybe I’d try having them outside in ‘perfect conditions only’ on a headphone stand or similar a few times.

And, the LCD-X loves a little bit of power, and if you’re an EQ believer, even small adjustments show well.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #2,172 of 2,714
I am that worst of all things, an ex-smoker. It's been 20 years and I find the smell of others smoking surprisingly pleasant, but stale smoke....nope. Got to sort that out.

I have a few amplification options, all on the budget side:

ifi hip dac v1: sounds great to my ears. Definitely does not need bass boost

qudelix 5k: again sounds great. Tried the oratory eq, but preferred un-eqd

Rotel 930ax: my 30 year old speaker amp (for my 30 year old kef speakers): Sounds great again (I don't think I am very discerning :) ). This time benefits from oratory eq, but slightly less detailed than the modern amps above.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #2,173 of 2,714

May be leaving them in plastic bag with some baking soda overnight.

Oct 28, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #2,174 of 2,714
I am that worst of all things, an ex-smoker. It's been 20 years and I find the smell of others smoking surprisingly pleasant, but stale smoke....nope. Got to sort that out.
Right there as well, same time frame even. Being downwind of an active smoker, not so bad. Stale smoke (parents 50 year old house)....yuck.
May be leaving them in plastic bag with some baking soda overnight.
That's an idea!

Oct 28, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #2,175 of 2,714
No baking powder, but I have put a handful of Neutradol Vac Carpet Deodoriser in a plastic bag with the headphones (not touching).

Will have a sniff in the morning 🤠

Users who are viewing this thread

Back