LCD-X and XC Update
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,086 of 2,721
I'm confused between X and XC 2021. Can't make up my mind which one to get. Does anyone have both? If yes which one do you prefer?

Can you try both?

I found the X a little better when it comes to technicalities and the XC noticeably more neutral. If you’re going to EQ and don’t need isolation go for the X. If you want isolation and can handle some extra weight then go for the XC. You won’t regret either of them. They’re probably the best options you can get at their price (assuming you get the creator package) if you’re looking for an all-rounder and like to play around with EQ.

Another headphone to consider would be the DCA Aeon 2 Noire if you’re looking for a closed back. They’re much more comfortable and have a great tuning. Technicalities are below what you get with an audeze.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #2,087 of 2,721
Oh the graphs tell a different story. I really need to try XC then. Thanks.
Yes, definitely give them a listen if possible. Your ears may hear them a little different.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #2,088 of 2,721
Can you try both?

I found the X a little better when it comes to technicalities (aside from sub-bass rumble) and the XC noticeably more neutral. If you’re going to EQ and don’t need isolation go for the X. If you want isolation and can handle some extra weight then go for the XC. You won’t regret either of them. They’re probably the best options you can get at their price (assuming you get the creator package) if you’re looking for an all-rounder and like to play around with EQ.
Thanks. I haven't tried XC yet. I borrowed and tried X for a good 1 week and enjoyed it. The XC graph however looks more neutral with mid forward tuning and that is why I'm confused. I guess I will have to try the XC for myself to really know.

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #2,089 of 2,721
Sometimes if the adjustment is set at a "half-way" point between notches on the adjustment rod and then stored for a period of time, the ball bearing/spring mechanism in the adjustment block tension screw can become lodged or stuck with debris and doesn't spring back as it should. It's usually just a matter of knocking that ball bearing loose by adjusting the rod up and down quickly 10 or 15 times. A small squirt of contact cleaner or similar lubricant inside the body of the adjustment block can help as well (like WD-40 or Caig DeoxIT gold). You'll want to wipe away the excess once the ball bearing is returned to normal function to avoid further slippage.

1663863191054.png

For headphones/headbands made before 2022: The adjustment block tension screws on older LCDs are actually not meant to be adjustable-- their tension is pre-set and they're secured with thread locking compound here in the factory to prevent them from loosening over time. We don't recommend you attempt to adjust the tension on the screws for these older headbands as damage can occur. If you're having issues with the tension of the blocks, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

For headbands made in 2022 or later: The tension can be adjusted with a 1.98mm (5/64") hex key for our standard LCD headphones, and 2mm (5/32") hex key for the LCD-5. Although the locking compound in these joint is now adjustable, make sure the hex key is well seated before adjusting or you can strip the screw.
Thanks! I'll try quickly sliding the side up and down a few times when I get home from work this evening.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #2,091 of 2,721
If your listening environment allows that, open is always a preferred choice.
And I am a happy Hifiman EDXS user, yet one listen to to the XC, and I was sold!
Waiting for it to arrive.
But yes, I agree. on the environment clause.
Since I had an open back, I needed a closed back for plane, for private listening.
Open backs are public listening !.
Also, a musician friend, can not use his open back for playing and recording .

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #2,092 of 2,721
To my ears the XC (we are talking 2021+ versions here) actually is a little bass lite, relative to the X. My XC get a 6db shelf below 200hz. I would personally need maybe 3db shelf on the X.
Spot on. All things being equal my XC requires 2-3 bass dBs more than my X.

Even more specifically my particular XC unit requires half a decibel more below 50Hz to measure the same as my X. It seems counter intuitive to what you might expect from a comparison between a closed back and an open back I know.

Graphs don't really tell the whole story in this case as there is more to it than just numbers IMHO.

The qualities of their respective basses are very different. The XC has more direct, full-bodied, and visceral qualities to them while the X has more of a presence/ holographic quality to them. Both are very good bass machines. Which you prefer depends on your taste, and maybe the genre of music you listen to most.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #2,094 of 2,721
What eq do you use for yours?
I tend not to use EQ for my LCD-X, however I like to experiment with EQs from time to time and the best compromise I could make is this

The filters used may seem like a lot (13), but in this case it was necessary as i used the same q-factor for all of them. Find out if you like it with yours :wink:

Attachments

• Audeze LCD-X Harman.txt
    403 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #2,095 of 2,721
I tend not to use EQ for my LCD-X, however I like to experiment with EQs from time to time and the best compromise I could make is this

The filters used may seem like a lot (13), but in this case it was necessary as i used the same q-factor for all of them. Find out if you like it with yours :wink:
13 filters!
I suppose you are of the opinion that there is no price to pay for using equalizers, I mean for sound quality.

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #2,097 of 2,721
I'm not touching this one, lol!
-J
If by this one you mean XC, then I conditionally agree.
I have only listened to the XC at CanJam London, for a little while. I didn't think it needed any EQ. The Harman curve was arrived at, as a bunch of listeners preferences, nothing more! It is quite valid, but it is not gospel!
Some believe a GOOD headphone MUST follow the Harman curve at every turn, or else.
I have an XC coming to me soon, if I had thought, I needed to EQ it extensively, I would not have bought it.
BTW, my current Hifiman EDXS, does not need EQing either, perhaps it benefits from ONE small lift at 1.7kHz, that's all.

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #2,098 of 2,721
I gotta say, EQ can be fun to be used on such headphones and they have so little risk of distortion it's very adaptable. Having said that, loving them stock, the sounds is something i grow attached to daily

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #2,099 of 2,721
If by this one you mean XC, then I conditionally agree.
I have only listened to the XC at CanJam London, for a little while. I didn't think it needed any EQ. The Harman curve was arrived at, as a bunch of listeners preferences, nothing more! It is quite valid, but it is not gospel!
Some believe a GOOD headphone MUST follow the Harman curve at every turn, or else.
I have an XC coming to me soon, if I had thought, I needed to EQ it extensively, I would not have bought it.
BTW, my current Hifiman EDXS, does not need EQing either, perhaps it benefits from ONE small lift at 1.7kHz, that's all.
With respect, I meant I wasn't touching the subject of "too many EQ filters" or possible degradation of sound from EQ, as I've heard many arguments from both sides that never end productively.

I'm glad you're getting the XC soon! You will love them (EQ or no) as I love mine. They are superb tracking headphones, for me, and a great asset in the studio as well as just for leisure!

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #2,100 of 2,721
With respect, I meant I wasn't touching the subject of "too many EQ filters" or possible degradation of sound from EQ, as I've heard many arguments from both sides that never end productively.

I'm glad you're getting the XC soon! You will love them (EQ or no) as I love mine. They are superb tracking headphones, for me, and a great asset in the studio as well as just for leisure!

Blessings,
-J
??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back