LCD-X and XC Update
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #2,071 of 2,721
Got my FR graph this morning. How does mine compare to most?

I've found a few good EQs so far but I still can't seem to get set on something. Stock sounds really good too but I feel like it can definitely be improved with the right EQ that I haven't quite got there yet.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #2,072 of 2,721

I've found a few good EQs so far but I still can't seem to get set on something. Stock sounds really good too but I feel like it can definitely be improved with the right EQ that I haven't quite got there yet.

Any ideas?
I don’t know. Maybe I’m too old school, but it seems to me that the ‘right’ eq has to also account for the source material, source components, and amp, so it would of necessity be different on every system. Headphones don’t make sound on their own. And you’d have to change it for every recording anyway (this is an age old argument in the analog world - is it worth it to correct VYA for every recording, or just pick a middle ground you can live with and forget it?). I’ve always been in the latter camp. I say find a setting you like, then set it and forget it. Gives you less to perseverate over and, perforce, more time to listen to music.

Just my $.02, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #2,073 of 2,721
I don’t know. Maybe I’m too old school, but it seems to me that the ‘right’ eq has to also account for the source material, source components, and amp, so it would of necessity be different on every system. Headphones don’t make sound on their own. And you’d have to change it for every recording anyway (this is an age old argument in the analog world - is it worth it to correct VYA for every recording, or just pick a middle ground you can live with and forget it?). I’ve always been in the latter camp. I say find a setting you like, then set it and forget it. Gives you less to perseverate over and, perforce, more time to listen to music.

Just my $.02, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
That is true. I really like the stock tonality and different EQs definitely sound better on some genres than others (and tracks within them, etc).

Overall, I love the stock tonality but find it could definitely benefit from at least some extra bass. It's so punchy, lush, and nice

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #2,074 of 2,721

Any ideas?

It is possible to start from the image that was sent to you of the measurement, but it must first be digitized so that it can be loaded into an equalizer for fine-tuning.

There is a tool on the web: https://apps.automeris.io/wpd/ that allows you to digitize a curve starting from an image and then load it on a parametric equalizer, also in this case you can use the tools that available on the web: https://rohsa.gitlab.io/graphtool/

I did it with my measurement with excellent results

NB: the reference curves made available by the online EQs are of the RAW type, while Audeze sends the measurement with the compensated curve, in this case it is necessary to load a flat reference curve in the equalizer.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #2,076 of 2,721
Has anyone compared the LCD-MX4 with the X? Are they more similar than different or a whole different beast?
Hi, here is our standard reply on this question:

The LCD-MX4s have the easy-to-drive diaphragm and voice coil of the LCD-X combined with the 1.5 Tesla magnetic force of the LCD-4.

The MX4 is the evolution of the X, and was developed specifically for the pro market based on feedback from many engineers we've partnered with. Externally it features the lighter magnesium housing and carbon fiber headband for greater comfort over long sessions.

Internally, the MX4 also uses our Double Fluxor magnet array, which more than doubles the magnetic flux focused on the diaphragm, and our Uniforce voice coil, which distributes the flux more evenly for the ultimate in "pistonic" motion of the diaphragm. This gives greater control over diaphragm movement, resulting in even faster transients, lower distortion, and better imaging, and makes it our most efficient LCD headphone.

The two carry a similar overall sound signature which is very neutral and detailed, but the MX4 is definitely more refined, and most astute listeners prefer it over the X. Which is better for you is a personal choice and we recommend trying them for yourself, but hopefully this gives you enough to go on to make an educated choice.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 16, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2,077 of 2,721

The LCD-MX4s have the easy-to-drive diaphragm and voice coil of the LCD-X combined with the 1.5 Tesla magnetic force of the LCD-4.

The MX4 is the evolution of the X, and was developed specifically for the pro market based on feedback from many engineers we've partnered with. Externally it features the lighter magnesium housing and carbon fiber headband for greater comfort over long sessions.

Internally, the MX4 also uses our Double Fluxor magnet array, which more than doubles the magnetic flux focused on the diaphragm, and our Uniforce voice coil, which distributes the flux more evenly for the ultimate in "pistonic" motion of the diaphragm. This gives greater control over diaphragm movement, resulting in even faster transients, lower distortion, and better imaging, and makes it our most efficient LCD headphone.

The two carry a similar overall sound signature which is very neutral and detailed, but the MX4 is definitely more refined, and most astute listeners prefer it over the X. Which is better for you is a personal choice and we recommend trying them for yourself, but hopefully this gives you enough to go on to make an educated choice.
Who could refuse that pitch! I love it! Can't afford it but love it.

-J

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #2,078 of 2,721

The LCD-X will always be one of my favorite headphones. That said, the MX4 is one of the most underrated headphones in the industry. One man’s opinion. They scale up and respond to EQ with incredible technical ability that few headphones can match.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #2,079 of 2,721

Any ideas?

Okay, so replying to my own post. I made progress, pretty settled on an eq or two I really like.

Almost there, but I still want some more bass (best part of this headphone imo, makes music so much fun). What's the recommended frequency to add the bass shelf at? Also, for my graph, is that dip under 50 hz typical?

In addition, the slider above my right ear is just  slightly loose. Anyone know how to tighten it?

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #2,081 of 2,721
I'm confused between X and XC 2021. Can't make up my mind which one to get. Does anyone have both? If yes which one do you prefer?
I think it comes down to one or two questions: 1. Do you need closed back? For me the answer was simple. I have to have closed back. 2. Do you want more neutral/mid forward tuning (LCD-XC) or a slightly warmer tuning with relaxed mids? If you EQ everything like me, then question 2 does not matter. Both respond brilliantly to EQ.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #2,082 of 2,721
I think it comes down to one or two questions: 1. Do you need closed back? For me the answer was simple. I have to have closed back. 2. Do you want more neutral/mid forward tuning (LCD-XC) or a slightly warmer tuning with relaxed mids? If you EQ everything like me, then question 2 does not matter. Both respond brilliantly to EQ.
I tried X and really liked it. Haven't auditioned XC yet. I actually prefer mid forward tuning but the bass in XC seems too forward in graphs. Is that the case in reality?

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #2,083 of 2,721
I tried X and really liked it. Haven't auditioned XC yet. I actually prefer mid forward tuning but the bass in XC seems too forward in graphs. Is that the case in reality?
To my ears the XC (we are talking 2021+ versions here) actually is a little bass lite, relative to the X. My XC get a 6db shelf below 200hz. I would personally need maybe 3db shelf on the X.

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #2,084 of 2,721
Okay, so replying to my own post. I made progress, pretty settled on an eq or two I really like.

Almost there, but I still want some more bass (best part of this headphone imo, makes music so much fun). What's the recommended frequency to add the bass shelf at? Also, for my graph, is that dip under 50 hz typical?

In addition, the slider above my right ear is just  slightly loose. Anyone know how to tighten it?
Sometimes if the adjustment is set at a "half-way" point between notches on the adjustment rod and then stored for a period of time, the ball bearing/spring mechanism in the adjustment block tension screw can become lodged or stuck with debris and doesn't spring back as it should. It's usually just a matter of knocking that ball bearing loose by adjusting the rod up and down quickly 10 or 15 times. A small squirt of contact cleaner or similar lubricant inside the body of the adjustment block can help as well (like WD-40 or Caig DeoxIT gold). You'll want to wipe away the excess once the ball bearing is returned to normal function to avoid further slippage.

1663863191054.png

For headphones/headbands made before 2022: The adjustment block tension screws on older LCDs are actually not meant to be adjustable-- their tension is pre-set and they're secured with thread locking compound here in the factory to prevent them from loosening over time. We don't recommend you attempt to adjust the tension on the screws for these older headbands as damage can occur. If you're having issues with the tension of the blocks, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

For headbands made in 2022 or later: The tension can be adjusted with a 1.98mm (5/64") hex key for our standard LCD headphones, and 2mm (5/32") hex key for the LCD-5. Although the locking compound in these joint is now adjustable, make sure the hex key is well seated before adjusting or you can strip the screw.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back