LCD-X and XC Update
Jun 9, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,906 of 2,721
Hello everyone, I'm considering to step up to high-end game with headphones. currently I have Audioquest NigthOwls and I want to try something different and LCD-X are tempting me the most. There is no way I can audition these in my area so it make things a bit complicated as I've never heard them. I assume there would be a big difference in sound (closed dynamics vs open planars). But what really concerns me is peaky treble and harshness. This is why I stopped using ath-msr7. Every review claimed they sound like 500$ headphone, which can be true in some areas, but I could not get over these ear piercing highs. NightOwls solved the problem. Everyone who tried them knows that they have quite unique, dark engaging sound. But now I want to step up again, so I just wanted to ask you guys, does anyone find LCD-X too bright or harsh ? I also heard that from this level of HP (1000$-2000$) these are actually not in the bright side of spectrum ,but still, if I cant audition them, I want to hear as many opinions as possible. Thanks for anyone who can share opinion

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #1,907 of 2,721
Hello everyone, I'm considering to step up to high-end game with headphones. currently I have Audioquest NigthOwls and I want to try something different and LCD-X are tempting me the most. There is no way I can audition these in my area so it make things a bit complicated as I've never heard them. I assume there would be a big difference in sound (closed dynamics vs open planars). But what really concerns me is peaky treble and harshness. This is why I stopped using ath-msr7. Every review claimed they sound like 500$ headphone, which can be true in some areas, but I could not get over these ear piercing highs. NightOwls solved the problem. Everyone who tried them knows that they have quite unique, dark engaging sound. But now I want to step up again, so I just wanted to ask you guys, does anyone find LCD-X too bright or harsh ? I also heard that from this level of HP (1000$-2000$) these are actually not in the bright side of spectrum ,but still, if I cant audition them, I want to hear as many opinions as possible. Thanks for anyone who can share opinion
It is not harsh or bright in any way to my ear.

Jun 9, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,908 of 2,721
Every time I engage EQ it sounds awful ....don't understand what you EQ geeks are hearing....

There are still many factors. What generation lcd xc you have?

What generation earpads you have? Also how steep angled & compressed is it now that it's foam filling is older?

Then you probably need to do some final touches to your own personal hearing sensitivities & hrtf.

Older angled earpads are especially a big factor. They can become more angled with age/usage (getting softer, and don't hold their form as well).

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,909 of 2,721
So you equalize phones to compensate for worn out earpads? Wouldn't that require measurements taken for the specific pair, not off the net generic EQ profile.
And speaking of generic EQ profiles, how differences in individual samples affect final result, including drivers variations, pads age, individual's seal on ears, etc.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #1,910 of 2,721
It is not harsh or bright in any way to my ear.
@propolis12 You've picked a really good one in the LCD-X if that's what you end up getting. The LCD-X has smooth polished highs for a warmer than usual sound that is never harsh or overly bright unless you EQ them to be. Their stock tuning is quite good. Finally something that we can agree on @szore :wink:

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,911 of 2,721
can someone chime in here for a question.... what should a person who just got an LCD-X21 expect from just out of the box and the final burn in routine.... is there a large difference or non at all....

thanks in advance

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #1,912 of 2,721
can someone chime in here for a question.... what should a person who just got an LCD-X21 expect from just out of the box and the final burn in routine.... is there a large difference or non at all....

thanks in advance
I've been using mine for a few hours everyday for 7 months and I notice little to no difference from day 1 til now.

Blessings,
-J

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,913 of 2,721

thanks in advance
I burn my headphones in, I have over 200 hours on mine and I notice the sound is smoother and the soundstage opens up a little bit.

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,914 of 2,721
I've been using mine for a few hours everyday for 7 months and I notice little to no difference from day 1 til now.

Blessings,
-J
thanks for the quick reply.... I plan on doing a DSP EQ via the Smyth A16 and was wondering if I should wait till the burn in routine is complete so I don't have to repeat the DSP EQ routine over and over again as they change during burn in... these are getting ready to be converted to a 24 speaker array of the Dutch & Dutch PRIR

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #1,915 of 2,721
thanks for the quick reply.... I plan on doing a DSP EQ via the Smyth A16 and was wondering if I should wait till the burn in routine is complete so I don't have to repeat the DSP EQ routine over and over again as they change during burn in... these are getting ready to be converted to a 24 speaker array of the Dutch & Dutch PRIR
Whoa, sounds intense! Have fun!
-J

Jun 15, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #1,916 of 2,721

thanks in advance
from my experience with the XC, the sound changes after first 2 hours. Then it stays consistent throughout

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #1,917 of 2,721
A question for everyone.

Do you have anything to say about the Rupert Neve RNHP or a comparable amp coupled to the LCD-XC or LCD-X? I do some crazy EQing to my LCD-XC that taxes my system for power. In other words certain songs with emphasized sub, sub bass distort my system and my LCD-XC at listenable levels. Also tracking with them really tests the limits of my setup. I’m wondering if an amp like the Rupert Neve could give me like 6dB more of clean/undistorted volume. That would be priceless to me. If it makes everything sound better that’s of course a plus too!
:slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Blessings,
-J

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #1,918 of 2,721
A question for everyone.

Do you have anything to say about the Rupert Neve RNHP or a comparable amp coupled to the LCD-XC or LCD-X? I do some crazy EQing to my LCD-XC that taxes my system for power. In other words certain songs with emphasized sub, sub bass distort my system and my LCD-XC at listenable levels. Also tracking with them really tests the limits of my setup. I’m wondering if an amp like the Rupert Neve could give me like 6dB more of clean/undistorted volume. That would be priceless to me. If it makes everything sound better that’s of course a plus too!

Thanks in advance!

Blessings,
-J

Stop EQing. Buy an amp that allows the LCD-X to sing on its own. Digital EQ is the equivalent of a straightjacket on a headphone. You are never going to hear what the headphone and amp and DAC are capable of on their own if you use digital EQ.

I use a Cavalli Liquid Fire and Cavalli Liquid Glass with my LCD-X and LCD-2 Classic. I've never run out of headroom with those amps because I don't use EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #1,919 of 2,721
A question for everyone.

Thanks in advance!

Blessings,
-J

What DAC and AMP are you currently running ? If you are listening to "techtubers" who claim that this headphone can be driven correctly on low end garbage, then look elsewhere for solutions. This headphone, regardless of its low impedance, scales incredibly well with better equipment. You are limiting its capabilities tremendously if you decide to pair it with trash gear.

Jun 17, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #1,920 of 2,721
I briefly tried the Neve on the lcd-x and found it to be lacking in power. Given the -14db pre EQ.

I didn’t notice a difference in power with my old objective2 odac.

Although I did chain it a bit funny so that may have contributed.

I switched to an RME ADI 2 FS and all good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back