LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #376 of 2,693
Yes, they could of made them just a tad bigger/thicker. The foam squishes easy anyway so why not make them THIC
Apparently... not sure how true this is as I’m not an acoustic engineer ... there is a quirk, with the Audeze drivers that causes the 4k dip present on all of their cans. I have heard it has to do with the distance of the eardrum or ear canal to the driver membrane and is a product of phase cancellation.
By moving the driver closer to your ear (which is what happens with these thinner and less firm pads) it ameliorates (or avoids altogether) this issue hence the great improvement in FR. I actually found the tip of my ear would touch the fazor with the old pads and now, the situation is a little worse. But I can’t really find a headphone that fits my ears perfectly anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #377 of 2,693
Quite a difference there. Do the shallower new pads mean your ears touch the fazors easier?
With new shallower leather pads, that’s not the case. New non leather pads, your ears might brush against back of the cup. Mostly due to non leather pad being softer = more squishy.

edit
On my head with my ears. YMMV

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #378 of 2,693
So speaking as a studio mixer that loved the depth of the LCD X but, couldn't live with the 4k-ish recession for critical listening / mix decisions...

Are these new X versions appreciably better in that regard?
Are there any strong impressions / reviews at this time that imply they truly addressed the top end recession?

If so, I'll get some in here to try.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #379 of 2,693
So speaking as a studio mixer that loved the depth of the LCD X but, couldn't live with the 4k-ish recession for critical listening / mix decisions...

Are these new X versions appreciably better in that regard?
Are there any strong impressions / reviews at this time that imply they truly addressed the top end recession?

If so, I'll get some in here to try.
I bought the new LCD X, but don't have any experience with older versions. I can say that the new LCD X still sounds muted between 3 and 6k, but not in a way that feels broken. For casual listening, I don't EQ it. For mixing and working in a DAW, I add 4db in that region and it immediately sounds right.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #380 of 2,693
Thanks, appreciate your thoughts.
In my case eq-ing during the mix stage is just not a desirable step to go through. I can't in all situations reproduce the correction w/o a hassle.
Hmmm.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #381 of 2,693
In my case eq-ing during the mix stage is just not a desirable step to go through. I can't in all situations reproduce the correction w/o a hassle.
Hmmm.
I mean.. if you don't want to spend the full amount on getting the drivers and pads changed you could always opt to just change the pads. I believe most of the improvement in FR is attributed to the pads. Audeze does recommend changing both though... not sure if it would be more challenging to fit the new pads over the old fazor array. But it looks like some people in this thread have just done the pads and not encountered any notable problems. The newer version is definitely a massive upgrade in terms of FR. Some graphs show the "old version" as having a dip in the upper mids as low as 10db below the harman target. This new one looks like it is maybe 4-5db too low.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #382 of 2,693
I mean.. if you don't want to spend the full amount on getting the drivers and pads changed you could always opt to just change the pads. I believe most of the improvement in FR is attributed to the pads. Audeze does recommend changing both though... not sure if it would be more challenging to fit the new pads over the old fazor array. But it looks like some people in this thread have just done the pads and not encountered any notable problems. The newer version is definitely a massive upgrade in terms of FR. Some graphs show the "old version" as having a dip in the upper mids as low as 10db below the harman target. This new one looks like it is maybe 4-5db too low.
Good points. In my case, I sold the X's a few years back. So I'm mostly just wrestling with whether I want to get another pair in here to try.
Not a biggie as I could just return if need be but, if there's still a dip up there and I'd rather not be bothered with eq-ing, it gives me some pause.
Their bottom extension was dang appealing for casual listening though.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #383 of 2,693
Good points. In my case, I sold the X's a few years back. So I'm mostly just wrestling with whether I want to get another pair in here to try.
Not a biggie as I could just return if need be but, if there's still a dip up there and I'd rather not be bothered with eq-ing, it gives me some pause.
Their bottom extension was dang appealing for casual listening though.
If ya check the first page, Resolve posted measurements of the new LCD-X. The 4k dip is there and immediately noticeable, but is much less dramatic, and as such, doesn't screw with the overall tonal balance nearly as much as it used to. It is a perfectly pleasant listen without EQ.

However, I'd still probably recommend something like a Focal Elex/Clear for mixing work, since they're dynamic driver cans which timbrally/dynamically are more similar to what 99% of consumer playback systems are gonna be.

LCD-X is more micro-detailed and has better separation, but I personally think planars are better for simple enjoyment than production work because of its material-related quirks.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #384 of 2,693
Hmmm.
I think it just depends on what your other options are. I've tried the Focal Clear, and didn't find that it gave me more information than my near field monitors. They were nice headphones, but not a useful mixing/editing asset for my needs. I think planars help you figure out when things sound confusing over monitors. They help you problem solve. The Clear might be a better alternative to monitors when they're not available, but I actually didn't find the Clears to be a better default frequency response than the new LCD X. I think the elevated 1k section makes the Clears sound honky to me in a way that doesn't give you an accurate presentation of vocals. The LCD X just sounds mellow in the lower treble, but most of the midrange sounds more neutral than the Clear. Again, this was just my experience. And the LCD X gives you the benefit of a "microscope" that you can put to a busy mix when you're struggling to find an issue. This isn't unique to the LCD X over other planars, but it is an advantage over something like the Clear.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #385 of 2,693
Are these really improved or just a little different? I thought the M1570 compared well with the LCD-X. Now, maybe the LCD-X really pulls out in front. If so, I may get them. The bass will be key for me. If these have less bass than original, then I'm out.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #386 of 2,693
Are these really improved or just a little different? I thought the M1570 compared well with the LCD-X. Now, maybe the LCD-X really pulls out in front. If so, I may get them. The bass will be key for me. If these have less bass than original, then I'm out.
Didn't the LCD-X easily outperform the M1570?
I heard neither but that was the impression I had from reviews

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #387 of 2,693
I really doubt the M1570 has any basis of comparison to the LCD-X, especially post 2021 revision.

M1570 compared to the LCD2C... maybe?

Personally I've tried going to budget "beat all headphones 10x above their price range" route myself (M1070, M1570 M1060c, Verum 1 and now the GL2000). They all "claim" to be best, but realistically, save yourself the time and hassle and just go with what you really want. There's always something about "those" type of headphones that forego certain technical aspects and you'll be giving up a lot at the end of the day.

Arya / LCD-X is my endgame for now.. But who knows what's next?

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #388 of 2,693
M1570 has an upper glare to it and weighs 100kg.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #389 of 2,693
My M1570s, with balanced cables, on my iFi signature, with bass boost and 3D on, are almost as good as my Aryas, and are more musical. I may have to get these new LCD-X to put them against my Arya's, M1570, Heddphone and Elears (with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads and balance cables).

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #390 of 2,693
Currently have the new production LCD-X, and new LCD-XC coming next week.

First off, these are the least “Audez’e-sounding” Audez’e yet - and in the best way possible.

I’ve owned LCD3, LCD4 and heard all generations of full sized, and was always a bit bummed by their darker tuning. I’ve heard the original silver LCD-X, as well as 2018 production, and they definitely sound different or “worse” than 2021 version.

Old LCD-X: Punchy bass with lots of rumble, huge midrange recession, huge treble spike/ edge.

2021 LCD-X: Less rumble, or bass weight but still punchy, better technicalities and midrange voicing (especially upper midrange), greater micro-detail retrieval and speed, more refined treble (less spikes)

The new LCD-X is actually my favorite Audeze yet, more so than the LCD4. I wish it had a bit more bass sustain, and ever-so slightly more upper mids still - but I guess they don’t want to deviate too much from their house sound. It’s still a generally punchy, rich and forgiving to harshness headphone, but sounds more neutral than ever.

LCD-1 seems to be the first Audez’e headphone to push towards more neutrality, and 2021 LCD-X also seems to follow that path, and I’m all for it :)

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back