LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #226 of 2,721
Does anybody knows the exact differences on the new pads and if these can be purchased separately from Audeze?
They changed the stiffer memory foam with a much more squishier cell foam. They say it seals better. I can not say for myself because I haven't got the older pads to compare. You can buy directly from Audeze, the new pads. Dealers might have the old ones in stock.
Let’s see how Audeze will deal with all their dealers holding old stock. They just killed the second hand market for these and if I was a retailer I would send back all my old stock of Audeze x and xc
Due to a factory inconsistency on one of my pads if you look back a couple of pages, they seem to have this big crease and it seems there is less foam inside. I have contacted my local dealer and they offered to change the pads charge free BUT it seems they only have old stock memory foam available so obviously I declined the old pads. They said it would take more than 30 days to have another shipment from Audeze and if I want to, I can opt for a reservation on the new pads as soon as they arrive. I decided to just buy them from Audeze even thou the shipping is costing me the same ammount of money as the pads but in 7 days they sound be here.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #227 of 2,721
They changed the stiffer memory foam with a much more squishier cell foam. They say it seals better. I can not say for myself because I haven't got the older pads to compare. You can buy directly from Audeze, the new pads. Dealers might have the old ones in stock.

Due to a factory inconsistency on one of my pads if you look back a couple of pages, they seem to have this big crease and it seems there is less foam inside. I have contacted my local dealer and they offered to change the pads charge free BUT it seems they only have old stock memory foam available so obviously I declined the old pads. They said it would take more than 30 days to have another shipment from Audeze and if I want to, I can opt for a reservation on the new pads as soon as they arrive. I decided to just buy them from Audeze even thou the shipping is costing me the same ammount of money as the pads but in 7 days they sound be here.
I have a brand new original audeze pads. Will be selling these to try out the new ones.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #228 of 2,721
Who knows - hold on to your horses - these might mark the shift that happened where everybody thinks the old LCD-2s sound better than the new ones - making them collectible. There might be less punch and bass on these new LCD-X but need less EQ. Will be interesting to see an AB.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #229 of 2,721
Who knows - hold on to your horses - these might mark the shift that happened where everybody thinks the old LCD-2s sound better than the new ones - making them collectible. There might be less punch and bass on these new LCD-X but need less EQ. Will be interesting to see an AB.
If you have 2019/2020, I would hold on to them. I wouldn’t rush and sell them. Chances are, all you need is new, “improved/tuned” pads. And 2020 model as mentioned above, might have an edge over 2021. Just my 2c.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #230 of 2,721
I'm happy with my Nov 2020 LCD-X -- literally purchased on the date they changed, but mine is a little older by serial number. I don't really care what the 2021 LCD-X sounds like since I am happy with what I have. :)

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #231 of 2,721
I'm happy with my Nov 2020 LCD-X -- literally purchased on the date they changed, but mine is a little older by serial number. I don't really care what the 2021 LCD-X sounds like since I am happy with what I have. :)
Respect, do u eq your lcd hps?

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #232 of 2,721
Thanks for your impressions! I definitely love rock/metal on the LCD-2... they handle that kind of music SO well. But other genres like Classical are a little lacking in some ways. If the highs are better on the new X Than the new 2f then I guess I need to return.. or EQ more (blindly) *sigh*
For reproducing strings and bows, and across a wide space, there are better headphones out there than most Audezes unless they have a newer model that's better at this, that I'm not aware of. I even had Sennheiser's much maligned "unnatural treble" HD700 for a bit, and had loved it with classical and stringed instruments. You might not care about dynamics as much with classical. This is not Sennheiser's strong suit, with most of their products.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #233 of 2,721
For reproducing strings and bows, and across a wide space, there are better headphones out there than most Audezes unless they have a newer model that's better at this, that I'm not aware of. I even had Sennheiser's much maligned "unnatural treble" HD700 for a bit, and had loved it with classical and stringed instruments. You might not care about dynamics as much with classical. This is not Sennheiser's strong suit, with most of their products.

ya in their stock tuning but I’m sure one could get competitive results with the right EQ profile (ie. harman without the bass-shelf). Their detail and instrument separation is good enough to handle classical music. It’s just that the tonality of string instruments and upper woodwinds as well as voices is not exactly right. But honestly... not bad especially when the recording is a good quality recording (again, I think I have the newer pads on my set).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #235 of 2,721
I am always curious about audeze HP's but have never owned one. Whilst i'd like to try EQ, my main setup is PC , tidal , BF2, and amp, and i realised that PC doesnt spit out the higher res or MQA unless on "exclusive mode" on the Tidal app, which means it bypasses equaliser APO. Is there anyway of a workaround on this? Part of me not super comfortable having to EQ for something costing this amt of money, but this new revision given its EQ optional , definitely put its in my radar.

You should be able to EQ the Tidal output in a bit perfect way somehow. I have Tidal in "Use Exclusive Mode" and "Force Volume" feeding JRiver27, and I use EQ extensively this way. I can also use their built in DSP modes like "Environment" and "Surround Field".

Audeze headphones all sound dark to me, where I'm straining to hear the upper midrange, and want to turn them up. Many headphones that cost over $1000 don't have EQ curves that look like the Harman one, for various reasons. The Reveal+ plugin that Audeze put out, had worked better than guessing at the EQ myself when I had LCD-3s.

I'm not a fan of MQA personally, and think it's largely a marketing ploy. I do use Tidal to decode it in the rare event that I do use it, rather than having spent money on a DAC that offers that feature. I can't even detect a difference between MASTER and HIFI tracks most times. In 2010 and 2011, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd cd's had become available remastered, had sounded noticeably better than the originals did using the Redbook format in both instances, and feel that the mastering process is more important than whether or not the content is available at 24 bits and 192 kHz, even though MASTER tracks are now available on Tidal. JRiver shows that most of the MASTER tracks come in for processing at 88.2 kHz, and 24 bits. Has Tidal been lying to us? Maybe. Could be something about my system as well.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #236 of 2,721
Can anyone also find out if the leather-free pads have new foam and shape? Haven't seen any confirmation one way or another if for example the LCD-2C is also using a new type of pad.
I have those and I think they have non memory foam in it (I’m 99.9 percent sure). Feels different. More squishable, softer. Sound better in my opinion too. Since I don’t EQ it could be all psychoacoustics. Lol

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #237 of 2,721
I have those and I think they have non memory foam in it. Feel different. More squishable, softer. Sound better in my opinion too. Since I don’t EQ it could be all psychoacoustics. Lol

The new pads are different than just “not having memory foam” it feels like they have very little padding in them. Almost like pillows or something that is “stuffed” rather than padded. It’s hard to describe. They are floppy. Comfortable, but floppy.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #238 of 2,721
“The new pads are different than just “not having memory foam” it feels like they have very little padding in them. Almost like pillows or something that is “stuffed” rather than padded. It’s hard to describe. They are floppy. Comfortable, but floppy.”

Pads I got (bought several weeks ago) are super soft. They also seems to collapse slightly at the top of the pad’s peak. Area right above your ear. Material feels fragile and extra stretchy. It sure feels as it could use extra padding material. Are they the upgraded once? No clue. They do change the sound tho. Obviously.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #239 of 2,721
I'm assuming I have the newest new X model

20210406_112334.jpg

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #240 of 2,721
The new pads are different than just “not having memory foam” it feels like they have very little padding in them. Almost like pillows or something that is “stuffed” rather than padded. It’s hard to describe. They are floppy. Comfortable, but floppy.
Pads I got (bought several weeks ago) are super soft. They also seems to collapse slightly at the top of the pad’s peak. Area right above your ear. Material feels fragile and extra stretchy. It sure feels as it could use extra padding material. Are they the upgraded once? No clue. They do change the sound tho. Obviously.

your description fits what I have on my new LCD-2f more than “memory foam”... Now for people to release measurements of the LCD headphones with the new pads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back