LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 5, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #196 of 2,693
Not sure why you would backdate tell people there's a huge revision. I'd understand if u do a silent revision or tell u in advance, just doesn't make logical sense
I think Audeze realised a bit late that this revision won't be silent.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #197 of 2,693
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #198 of 2,693
I think Audeze realised a bit late that this revision won't be silent.
Im pretty happy they finally came out with sth which is not "EQ required but EQ optional" quoting Resolve. But I hope they've learnt their lesson from the feedback here in terms of better communication with customers ...

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #199 of 2,693
Really looking forward to @Resolve review on the new X and XC. I pulled the trigger on the new X. Needed to have something that did not require EQ all the time as I switch between mac and Windows a lot for my work flow.

I should be extremely upset since I literally just bought a pair of Xs shortly before this 2021 revision.

But it is what it is...

I do agree to a certain degree that it's unethical of Audeze to have this approach of promising the world in their claims, and then delivering something that completely doesn't match up to expectations. Creating something with great technical capabilities and at the same time sounding good (or shall I say sounding right) shouldn't be that difficult, if they claim that they spend that amount of time and dollars into R&D as they do.

If people like @Resolve and Oratary didn't exist, Audeze products would be huge flops.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #200 of 2,693
Really looking forward to @Resolve review on the new X and XC. I pulled the trigger on the new X. Needed to have something that did not require EQ all the time as I switch between mac and Windows a lot for my work flow.

I should be extremely upset since I literally just bought a pair of Xs shortly before this 2021 revision.

But it is what it is...

I do agree to a certain degree that it's unethical of Audeze to have this approach of promising the world in their claims, and then delivering something that completely doesn't match up to expectations. Creating something with great technical capabilities and at the same time sounding good (or shall I say sounding right) shouldn't be that difficult, if they claim that they spend that amount of time and dollars into R&D as they do.

If people like @Resolve and Oratary didn't exist, Audeze products would be huge flops.
does the EQed old LCD X sound that good you got the new X as well? if you have both around would love to hear your impressions of OLD no eq vs NEW no eq and old eq vs new no eq.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #201 of 2,693

But it is what it is...

I think it is fair to mention that most Audeze buyers are not on these forums and they are very happy with their headphones without EQ or Resolve's reviews. Andrew is good, but what he says is also just an opinion.
I don't think it is a good trend to treat those 3-4 YouTube headphone reviewers as some omniscient oraculums. They also don't know everything and they are more biased than most of their audience think.
Take everything you hear with a grain of salt and follow only your own ears.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #202 of 2,693

But it is what it is...

They wouldn't be Flops at all.
Most users don't use EQ at all with high end gear, they still like their Audezes.

Most reviews are positive and even if they mention the reveal plugin they often state that for the context of the review they didn't use it.

I personally liked my Audezes (2C and Closed back) without any reveal plugin (even though I use EQ to increase the Bass with all headphones)

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #203 of 2,693
Not sure why you would backdate tell people there's a huge revision. I'd understand if u do a silent revision or tell u in advance, just doesn't make logical sense
I’m guessing they have obligations to retailers. If they announce a big change right away it might be harder for retailers to sell through their current stock.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #204 of 2,693
I think it is fair to mention that most Audeze buyers are not on these forums and they are very happy with their headphones without EQ or Resolve's reviews. Andrew is good, but what he says is also just an opinion.
I don't think it is a good trend to treat those 3-4 YouTube headphone reviewers as some omniscient oraculums. They also don't know everything and they are more biased than most of their audience think.
Take everything you hear with a grain of salt and follow only your own ears.
I was surprised when I first received my LCD-2f at just how neutral it sounds even without EQ. I was expecting it to sound completely off based on the reviews I had watched.

This is either due a revision we haven’t heard about yet (it doesn’t have memory foam pads) or the fact that the large dips in certain frequency ranges don’t show themselves on casual first listen.

Now, I will also say that after a few tracks one can clearly and easily tell that it is different (and noticeable right away when A/Bing) from a truely neutral headphone. But I mostly mean that people without a lot of headphone experience who just want to spend the money on one high end set of cans are probably not going to even notice. the same way people listening through their laptop of phone speakers are not really aware of the completely wonky tonality coming out of these devices. I’m not saying the Audezes are on the same level as those devices but more that people can get used to hearing anything and the fact that the audeze headphones provide such a level of clarity/detail will probably be enough for most people especially because they are still, as I said earlier mostly neutral.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #205 of 2,693
Thanks for your impressions! I definitely love rock/metal on the LCD-2... they handle that kind of music SO well. But other genres like Classical are a little lacking in some ways. If the highs are better on the new X Than the new 2f then I guess I need to return.. or EQ more (blindly) *sigh*

LCD-X highs are much more present and would think it maybe much better for classical, for many recordings. Although, I'd consider getting the 800S or honestly I'd preorder the new Drop HD8XX if you love classical and hang in there with the LCD2F if you like Rock and Pop based on the universal consensus of HD800-ish headphones and classical music

I defer to others here with more experience. To my ears, when I was using Reveal+ with the new LCD-X (which may not be optimized for the new LCD-X of course) - it really did sound like something optimized for reference in music production - it didn't always present detail in the most pleasant light. Very revealing and plain in many ways. Stark. Could be very beautiful with classical but might not work with some recordings.

As a metaphor confined to rock music - to my ears the LCD-2F was much more pleasing on Nirvana's Nevermind, while the LCD-X sounded quite fabulous on In Utero.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #206 of 2,693
Resolve's measurement of the LCD-X with the "previous" pads on a GRAS 43AG. This is an exceptionally inaccurate sounding headphone, to say the least, and totally lacking ear gain.

I truly hope Audeze will release more in-house measurements, and for every single product they make, to prove that this is fixed. The other LCD models suffer from a similar problem.

1617220514516.png
It's only inaccurate as compared to the Harman curve, which isn't really accurate in the first place (although sticking to it can produce good perceived results in some headphones). Aside from the dip at 4K and 9K, and the peak at 6K it's an accurate 'phone. The new versions look to have essentially corrected any shortcomings. Fact is, no dynamic or competing planar can match Audeze for accuracy or tone quality from 20Hz -2K.

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #207 of 2,693
LCD-X highs are much more present and would think it maybe much better for classical, for many recordings. Although, I'd consider getting the 800S or honestly I'd preorder the new Drop HD8XX if you love classical and hang in there with the LCD2F if you like Rock and Pop based on the universal consensus of HD800-ish headphones and classical music

I defer to others here with more experience. To my ears, when I was using Reveal+ with the new LCD-X (which may not be optimized for the new LCD-X of course) - it really did sound like something optimized for reference in music production - it didn't always present detail in the most pleasant light. Very revealing and plain in many ways. Stark. Could be very beautiful with classical but might not work with some recordings.

As a metaphor confined to rock music - to my ears the LCD-2F was much more pleasing on Nirvana's Nevermind, while the LCD-X sounded quite fabulous on In Utero.
I just looking for one all-rounder for now... I listen to a mix of genres and don’t really want to deal with the hassle of finding a good amp for the HD800s. I do listen to a fair amount of classical music... honestly I find for orchestral music that the darker colouration isn’t bad at all and honestly is refreshing.. I find I’m drawn in more to the french horn and lower strings which is pretty cool. It’s mainly on with vocal/solo instrumental music that I mind the lack of presence but either way. I think the LCD-X is probably the best fit for me out of the Audeze range. The LCD-2, even without EQ, makes anything with electric guitars sound so good.. double-kick drums and bass guitar are so articulate as well. I actually find it makes some voices sound better as well particularly with hip-hip you can really hear the “core” of their voice along with any breathiness. I guess because the resonances are subdued. With male/female operatic voices though it sounds a little muffled.
Anyway I think I’ll exchange my LCD-2f unless I hear of a revision or see measurements.

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #209 of 2,693
I've contacted Audeze support to get the upgrade quoted for my 2016 revision. It was $395 for both drivers and ear pads, which I think is not bad.
That's a great deal imo

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #210 of 2,693

But it is what it is...

Why not just change the pads? You wanted lighter weight too?

I'm really glad the pad change was enough for *me* because the new revisions apparently only have 6 magnets instead of the 8 (which means possibly less macrodynamics).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back