LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 4, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #181 of 2,694
Comparing recently using Reveal+ and Audirvana (Jot2 amp and Bifrost2 dac) - I had the opportunity to A/B a new model LCD-X with a new LCD-2f - I'm no expert but the LCD-X bass was tighter and at times more defined but the LCD-2f bass had a bit more rumble and at times was more prominent and punchy - I wouldn't call it "boomier" but something of the sort. In some tracks, the LCD-2f had a bass that was preferable. In others, the LCD-X. I had no idea it was a new model LCD-X - but it was - and so using Reveal+ may not have been optimizing it - I'm not really sure.
How were the mids on the LCD 2 compared to the X? I’m debating exchanging my 2f but cant try an X anywhere right now.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #182 of 2,694
I was using Reveal+ - I listen to rock music predominantly with occasional pop music and rap. To my tastes the LCD-2F presented about 60% of songs better. However, for the 40% of music where the LCD-X was superior - there was a noticeable superiority to the LCD-X - whereas with the other 60% where the LCD-2F was maybe better (whether frequency response or different soundstage) - it was closer, maybe just mood related.

My solution: own both. I hate to use this kind of language amongst so many experienced posters - but using the Reveal+ - I can see completely that the Audeze LCD-X was developed as a music production and reference headphone (and I know people will bristle at that idea - but I get it). It is VERY stark and defined. The LCD-2F is a lot more fun.

I'll say this - the LCD-X - because it is so clean - presents music in a way you may not have heard - whereas the LCD-2F (using Reveal+) just sort of captures music as you've always heard it - just really does that to the max. And I'm not really speaking about detail entirely - as the LCD-2F has quite a lot of that, less pronounced in the treble.

Be careful as I think many would prefer the bass in the LCD-2F vs the new LCD-X on MANY tracks. Of course, subjective.

Vocals seemed better on the LCD-X by and large. Guitars maybe better on the LCD-2F - but I'm treble sensitive.

I ended up placing an order for an LCD-X to complement the LCD-2F for now. Will be an extended Thunderdome

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #183 of 2,694
Some basic information for @Audeze , they seem to miss it:

Identifying who will need advanced warning of an upcoming change is a critical step to ensure no customer is ever caught off guard by a product change. Failure to prepare your most impacted users can cause a storm of negative (and potentially very public) feedback once the change reaches that cohort of users. And the end result for all will be frustrated customers and a frustrated team. To avoid this fate, leverage your Customer Success, Support, and Marketing teams to help set appropriate expectations with impacted customers well in advance of the change reaching them.

As a part of communicating upcoming changes with impacted users, it’s equally important to anticipate questions, as well as the emotions, these customers will have when they hear from you. In turn, arm your customer-facing teams with the right information to deliver a helpful and empathetic response when they’re contacted. In particular, enable these teams to explain workarounds or provide new solutions so your customers don’t feel stranded. (s. https://www.launchnotes.com/blog/how-to-successfully-introduce-and-announce-product-changes)
Maybe they will learn for next time. Also impressive that they did not react to any of the critiques. But in a community where people think cables and balanced connections improve sound quality for headphones, I guess you can tell them everything you want, they will not question it :)

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #184 of 2,694
Some basic information for @Audeze , they seem to miss it:

Maybe they will learn for next time. Also impressive that they did not react to any of the critiques. But in a community where people think cables and balanced connections improve sound quality for headphones, I guess you can tell them everything you want, they will not question it :)
Are you baiting a cable Diskussion right there?

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #186 of 2,694
Hey,
Without EQ (because I dont use), to listen music like queens ex.:'Bohemian Raphsody', Hanz Zimmer 1984 and inception, Pirates, and Soul, other stuff similiar...the SoundStage is the same intimity in the both cases X and XC? and Punch/Slam in quality?

Who can me help, with this new versions?

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #187 of 2,694
Hey,
Without EQ (because I dont use), to listen music like queens ex.:'Bohemian Raphsody', Hanz Zimmer 1984 and inception, Pirates, and Soul, other stuff similiar...the SoundStage is the same intimity in the both cases X and XC? and Punch/Slam in quality?

Who can me help, with this new versions?
Why not use EQ? It’s not so bad and there are plenty of posts and videos all over the internet with good information on it. The XC is a closed back... I’ve never listened to one but it would be very surprising to me if its soundstage was comparable to its open counterpart. Anyway. If you aren’t using EQ you will probably be happier with the XC.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #188 of 2,694
I am always curious about audeze HP's but have never owned one. Whilst i'd like to try EQ, my main setup is PC , tidal , BF2, and amp, and i realised that PC doesnt spit out the higher res or MQA unless on "exclusive mode" on the Tidal app, which means it bypasses equaliser APO. Is there anyway of a workaround on this? Part of me not super comfortable having to EQ for something costing this amt of money, but this new revision given its EQ optional , definitely put its in my radar.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #189 of 2,694
I am always curious about audeze HP's but have never owned one. Whilst i'd like to try EQ, my main setup is PC , tidal , BF2, and amp, and i realised that PC doesnt spit out the higher res or MQA unless on "exclusive mode" on the Tidal app, which means it bypasses equaliser APO. Is there anyway of a workaround on this? Part of me not super comfortable having to EQ for something costing this amt of money, but this new revision given its EQ optional , definitely put its in my radar.
A few things here:

Your BF2 will not play MQA files. It tops out at 24/192. Which is still great by the way... the best workaround I can think of is to use Roon you can select BF2 as your device and roon has a really good built-in parametric EQ as well as Audeze reveal presets to play around with.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #190 of 2,694
A few things here:

Your BF2 will not play MQA files. It tops out at 24/192. Which is still great by the way... the best workaround I can think of is to use Roon you can select BF2 as your device and roon has a really good built-in parametric EQ as well as Audeze reveal presets to play around with.
Thanks @mikecheck95 , yea i understand BF2 is not a MQA decoder, but I think if not on exclusive mode, it can only spit out 44.1k and with exclusive mode on it can get to 88.2K. good to know roon is a workaround, but i basically use tidal only and I dont really have a flac library to justify using/paying for roon.....

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #191 of 2,694
Thanks @mikecheck95 , yea i understand BF2 is not a MQA decoder, but I think if not on exclusive mode, it can only spit out 44.1k and with exclusive mode on it can get to 88.2K. good to know roon is a workaround, but i basically use tidal only and I dont really have a flac library to justify using/paying for roon.....
I wish I knew of a better way... you could just buy a Schiit Equalizer? Roon is definitely expensive... I don’t have much of a local library (a few ripped CDs) but I use it mainly because it allows me to control audio playback with my iPhone as well as manage DSP. It also makes some pretty solid listening recommendations. Some people say their Tidal library sounds better out of Roon. Apparently Tidal itself colours your music. I feel there is a small difference in sound myself. Tidal, to me, seems a little bit brighter and leaner.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #192 of 2,694
I was using Reveal+ - I listen to rock music predominantly with occasional pop music and rap. To my tastes the LCD-2F presented about 60% of songs better. However, for the 40% of music where the LCD-X was superior - there was a noticeable superiority to the LCD-X - whereas with the other 60% where the LCD-2F was maybe better (whether frequency response or different soundstage) - it was closer, maybe just mood related.

My solution: own both. I hate to use this kind of language amongst so many experienced posters - but using the Reveal+ - I can see completely that the Audeze LCD-X was developed as a music production and reference headphone (and I know people will bristle at that idea - but I get it). It is VERY stark and defined. The LCD-2F is a lot more fun.

I'll say this - the LCD-X - because it is so clean - presents music in a way you may not have heard - whereas the LCD-2F (using Reveal+) just sort of captures music as you've always heard it - just really does that to the max. And I'm not really speaking about detail entirely - as the LCD-2F has quite a lot of that, less pronounced in the treble.

Be careful as I think many would prefer the bass in the LCD-2F vs the new LCD-X on MANY tracks. Of course, subjective.

Vocals seemed better on the LCD-X by and large. Guitars maybe better on the LCD-2F - but I'm treble sensitive.

I ended up placing an order for an LCD-X to complement the LCD-2F for now. Will be an extended Thunderdome
Thanks for your impressions! I definitely love rock/metal on the LCD-2... they handle that kind of music SO well. But other genres like Classical are a little lacking in some ways. If the highs are better on the new X Than the new 2f then I guess I need to return.. or EQ more (blindly) *sigh*

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #193 of 2,694
@Deceneu808

Hey, in that video you posted try not to squeeze the Audeze. Their drivers are one of the worst. Fragile, not robust and will die on you. And their customer service will say, 'you put on your headphones on to fast or you laid them on the side for too long.' Sorry to say, you might of cut your X life in half now.
Thanks for the heads up but if it dies I'll just buy another one or somethig else. It is what it is

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #194 of 2,694
I bought new lcd-xc earpads in January 2020. Was this after the new earpads changes were done? Or should I order new earpads?
That's the old one

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #195 of 2,694
Not sure why you would backdate tell people there's a huge revision. I'd understand if u do a silent revision or tell u in advance, just doesn't make logical sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back