LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #136 of 2,693
The last thing I'd want is for the takeaway from this thread to be that they should stop improving things - or at least, I hope that's not the spirit of the feedback. But this is also why I think it makes sense to just come out with a 'model years' approach. I would agree that the revision stuff is confusing, and they could do a better job of communicating which version sounds like what (and adding measurements as Metal571 pointed out). But something else seems to be missing from this discussion and it's that no company seems to want to address this type of stuff. Small revisions seem to detract from customer confidence, and while many (if not most) companies do it, nobody except Audeze seems to be willing to admit it. Now, granted the differences in this case are significant - enough to warrant a clear demarcation for which version you may have - and we can only assume that this trend could continue. So at this point I really see no reason not to adopt a naming scheme and launch cycle that reflects that.
I have a couple pair of Audeze’s, love my LCD 4’s higher ohm originals, but I’d still have to disagree with you, companies like Focal create new models like the mg or the 2020 version when they make a change to their headphone. Audeze really needs to add a year or model number or something so customers know what they are getting when ordering their headphones from a website. The website does not provide the customer with the serial number for each headphone listed, so the customer has no idea which model they are buying. Which in my opinion is a very bad business model and makes me think twice about continuing to buy Audeze products without demoing the exact headphone I’m buying first. Even with HiFiMan, V2 or 2020 version, which at least gives the customer the information they need to confidently make a purchase.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #137 of 2,693
Audeze really needs to add a year or model number or something so customers know what they are getting when ordering their headphones from a website.
Not sure what there is to disagree with. This is essentially what I'm advocating for.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #138 of 2,693
I have a couple pair of Audeze’s, love my LCD 4’s higher ohm originals, but I’d still have to disagree with you, companies like Focal create new models like the mg or the 2020 version when they make a change to their headphone. Audeze really needs to add a year or model number or something so customers know what they are getting when ordering their headphones from a website. The website does not provide the customer with the serial number for each headphone listed, so the customer has no idea which model they are buying. Which in my opinion is a very bad business model and makes me think twice about continuing to buy Audeze products without demoing the exact headphone I’m buying first. Even with HiFiMan, V2 or 2020 version, which at least gives the customer the information they need to confidently make a purchase.
It means extra emails or a phone call to the retailer before each purchase.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #139 of 2,693
Thankfully I have a Phd in Audeze, but I can see the confusion coming to the secondhand market. (2020 version looks the same as the 2021 version but without the sound improvements for example.)

I agree with you on the naming. If they released this more significant change as LCD-X v2, there would be 90% less angry comments.
In that case I don’t think there will be any anger. Clarity on what you buy and how this can be identified is all that matters. If the latest was named LCD-X2 there would be no issue whatsoever

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #140 of 2,693
Not sure what there is to disagree with. This is essentially what I'm advocating for.
Disagreeing when you said almost no headphone companies do year model numbers or tell customers when they make changes. I can think of quite a few that do and have done this yearly or every other year, specially with IEMs. It’s always better for a company to be upfront, hiding changes or rolling changes without notice brings poor customer relationships.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #141 of 2,693
Well. Let’s talk Sony. Many might not like the sound signature of the Z1R but Sony made their headphone and they stick with it. That’s how is should be done and that kind of build quality and consistency i would expect from any high end audio manufacturer.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #142 of 2,693
no headphone companies do year model numbers or tell customers when they make changes.
This isn't what I said. I said many (if not most) do this. HiFiMAN is another good example. While they do have some official versions like V2 and SE, if you research revisions to the Sundara and Arya (and the rest of their high end lineup), you see they actually do make silent revisions as well. Again, I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but you see silent revisions on even more mainstream brands like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and Audio Technica. Moreover, apparently padgate is a thing with some of the Focals, which I don't really know enough about. I think that also speaks to what's going on in a sense. Most companies do this, whether due to a change in supplier or process for various pieces, the difference is that in some cases it's a very minor or insignificant change. For these, it's a much more impactful one.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 3, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #143 of 2,693
We are yet to know how they shaved off 100g from the previous version.

The 635g advertised weight was 708g in real life and more than one owner of the 2021 version says they weigh 608g now.
“New magnetic structure” i really want someone with a new LCD-x to shine their flashlight through the driver and count the fazors. I’m guessing there will be one less.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #144 of 2,693
Welcome to buying anything ever..

Also going to have to disagree with you on the 'amateurs' comment, even though I do agree that there could be more clarity on this stuff beforehand. While I won't defend releasing a headphone that measured like the early 2020 version, you see this kind of stuff from manufacturers in just about every industry.
Sorry, maybe I couldn't explain myself.

You are right other industries are doing upgrades / new versions regularly. BUT (and this is the difference) they are announcing it, so the customer can choose what to do. The current behaviour from Audeze is kinda trolling from a business perspective. Here in Germany there were similar cases where exactly this behaviour happened from a company and they got a big shitstorm. There were several court cases regarding this issue. I mean it won't get that far in the headphone industry, but I hope you get the point.

1. From April 1st we are selling our new and improved LCD-X2 and LCD-XC2. Prices stay the same!
2. If you have the original LCD-X or LCDXC upgrade to the latest version for $600.
3. We're slashing prices of remaining stock of the LCD-X and LCD-XC by 25%. Grab them while you can!

That easy. That's how you would even create loyality.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #145 of 2,693
This isn't what I said. I said many (if not most) do this. HiFiMAN is another good example. While they do have some official versions like V2 and SE, if you research revisions to the Sundara and Arya (and the rest of their high end lineup), you see they actually do make silent revisions as well. Again, I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but you see silent revisions on even more mainstream brands like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and Audio Technica. Moreover, apparently padgate is a thing with some of the Focals, which I don't really know enough about. I think that also speaks to what's going on in a sense. Most companies do this, whether due to a change in supplier or process for various pieces, the difference is that in some cases it's a very minor or insignificant change. For these, it's a much more impactful one.
Sorry for the misunderstanding of what you wrote. Definitely agree all audio companies need to be upfront with their customers. Audeze definitely has made their bed, many people will not purchase used Audeze products anymore wether from tuning or other recent issues. Definitely a company that will need to reprove itself to me before I buy a flagship item again from them.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #146 of 2,693
“New magnetic structure” i really want someone with a new LCD-x to shine their flashlight through the driver and count the fazors. I’m guessing there will be one less.
It is apparently 6 fazors instead of 8, but the transducer is the same 106mm.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #148 of 2,693
I’ll do you one better.....

Attachments

• C73D88E3-B622-4A0F-BD41-522A18142B24.jpeg
    C73D88E3-B622-4A0F-BD41-522A18142B24.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #149 of 2,693
is this the latest lcd-x that is being mentioned here?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_884LCDXCP2/Audeze-LCD-X-Music-Creator-Package.html

i orderd from there and want to make sure its the latest please
That should be the latest version spoken of here.

I ordered my LCD-X from Adorama in late January and it falls within the serial number range of the latest revision. However my Creator edition still came in the cardboard box. The “Economy Case” they ship in now was only implemented about a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back