LCD TV help
Aug 21, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
I believe the hdmi is a cable that connects to TV from source and is supposed to be a kick as- connection. I have bought one at bestbuy that cost 100.00 but they also had a 200.00 one. I took it back because S video looked about the same pitched wise. Now this was befor I got the high diff.

HDMI is a digital cable which is liike DVI, but it can also transfer sound and works alongside with HDCP (High Definition Copy Proetction), making sure your monitor/television is HDCP compliant (I believe this is what it does.) HDMI is good because it supports upconversion to higher resolutions. If you want an hdmi cable, I'de say www.monoprice.com It is a digital cable, so stuff will be argued that a better one is recommended, but what you pay for $100 at bestbuy could probably get you a much fancier / better cable elsewise (I have not tested HDMI cables side by side so I have no idea if an difference exists.)

Aug 29, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #32 of 35
My uncle says I should not buy the Samsung and should buy some no-name from costco for half the price because of the pixels in an LCD TV and how all of the manufacters are using more or less the same companies to create the components. Is he right in this case?

Aug 29, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
My uncle says I should not buy the Samsung and should buy some no-name from costco for half the price because of the pixels in an LCD TV and how all of the manufacters are using more or less the same companies to create the components. Is he right in this case?

He is correct (insofar as to the lcd panels, I know nothing of the other components), but what you must first do is find the brand of the exact panel that this no name TV uses. The big guys are LG.Philips, AUOptronics, Sharp, and some other guys. Better yet, find a name brand TV that uses the same panel, and see what people say of the two. Be wary though of poor quality scaling components and other stuff in the no name one.

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach
He is correct (insofar as to the lcd panels, I know nothing of the other components), but what you must first do is find the brand of the exact panel that this no name TV uses. The big guys are LG.Philips, AUOptronics, Sharp, and some other guys. Better yet, find a name brand TV that uses the same panel, and see what people say of the two. Be wary though of poor quality scaling components and other stuff in the no name one.

He said these cheap tv's are using good upconverters too. I don't know if i"ll need a good upconverter though, my dvd player is upconverting, my xbox 360 outputs HD, if I get a cable box it will be hd. I am rather limited due to this bestbuy gift card.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/subcla...&page=0&sort=3

It seems like kosch, insigina or westinghouse.

Or else...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/subcla...&page=0&sort=3

Prima/westinghouse/kosch

Don't want anything really with speakers on left/right because I will have my own setup, unless the speakers are detachable. I will probably buy a mount with an arm and use it on my wall.

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #35 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back