LCD-3 single-ended vs balanced
Jun 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fusionramjet

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just got the LCD-3 last week and I've been using it single-ended, with a pretty cheap DAC and AMP [Musical Fidelity's V-DAC II and V-CAN II].  I'm looking to upgrade my amp first, and don't want to spend over $2,000.  I'm finding more single-ended options than balanced in this price range, so I was wondering if anybody has driven the LCD-3 both single-ended and balanced, and if so, if anybody has noticed differences between the two (also, if you could share which amps you've used and liked, that'd be great).
Thanks!

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Congrats on the LCD-3s.

I wouldn't worry balanced vs. single-ended. Here's how I would rank the amps that I've owned and used with the LCD-3s:

(Best)
Liquid Fire (single ended)
WA22 (balanced)
GS-1 w/DACT (single ended)
Lyr (Single-ended)
(Least Best)

All were actually pretty darn good. For under $500, its hard to recommend a better amp than the Lyr. The new balanced Schiit amp though looks intriguing come to think of it.

I'd concentrate on finding a good amp in your price range that can supply them with around 1-2 W (at least) of good clean power (and overly warm amps need not apply IMO).

Enjoy!

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 11
I was going to get WA22 but lot of people preferred Liquid Fire Single ended, I think Macedonian suggested me as well.
I am saving up some money and waiting to Cavalli to make the next batch.

And congratulation on your LCD3, envy you :)

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I was going to get WA22 but lot of people preferred Liquid Fire Single ended, I think Macedonian suggested me as well.

The WA22/LCD-3 is a fantastic combination, but the Liquid Fire (especially with the quad of platinum Siemens tubes) is a cleaner amp and the better way to go IMO.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks, MH!
The Liquid Fire might be outside of my budget, depending on how fiscally irresponsible I wanna be. 
confused_face.gif

I wonder if Hifiman's EF-6 could drive the LCD-3 well, since it's supposed to be paired with the HE-6... any thoughts?
btw, do you find that warm amps tend to muddy up the sound?

Thanks again!
Quote:
Congrats on the LCD-3s.

I wouldn't worry balanced vs. single-ended. Here's how I would rank the amps that I've owned and used with the LCD-3s:

(Best)
Liquid Fire (single ended)
WA22 (balanced)
GS-1 w/DACT (single ended)
Lyr (Single-ended)
(Least Best)

All were actually pretty darn good. For under $500, its hard to recommend a better amp than the Lyr. The new balanced Schiit amp though looks intriguing come to think of it.

I'd concentrate on finding a good amp in your price range that can supply them with around 1-2 W (at least) of good clean power (and overly warm amps need not apply IMO).

Enjoy!

​

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Thanks!  I had a long-standing envy of everyone who had one, so I eventually got one.  To me, it's worth $2,000.
 ​

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Thanks, MH!
The Liquid Fire might be outside of my budget, depending on how fiscally irresponsible I wanna be. 
confused_face.gif

I wonder if Hifiman's EF-6 could drive the LCD-3 well, since it's supposed to be paired with the HE-6... any thoughts?
btw, do you find that warm amps tend to muddy up the sound?

Thanks again!

​

I haven't heard the EF-6s, sorry. With the LCD-3s, I'd strongly recommend a neutral amp.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 11
Have you considered the Audio-gd Master 8.

The Master-6, the Master 8 is the new version with a gain switch, is stunning with the LCD2.2's.
It also has the advantages of being balanced if thats what you want and more than enough power for ANY headphone including the HE6 if its a possible future purchase!
Its also well within budget and neutral sounding.
The only downside is its a whopper.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 11
The WA22/LCD-3 is a fantastic combination, but the Liquid Fire (especially with the quad of platinum Siemens tubes) is a cleaner amp and the better way to go IMO.

I am jealous :)

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 11
... Liquid Fire (especially with the quad of platinum Siemens tubes) ....

Hey MacedonianHero, just a quick question.

Where do you get the siemen tubes ? ebay ? and which model or tube code do you buy ? EL series ?

Thanks in advance... !

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I am jealous :)

Thanks. I'm pretty happy (finally) with my setup and I haven't got the itch in a long time.

Quote:

Hey MacedonianHero, just a quick question.

Where do you get the siemen tubes ? ebay ? and which model or tube code do you buy ? EL series ?

Thanks in advance... !

Right here...great customer service and top quality tubes:

http://www.tubemuseum.org/default.asp

You're welcome in advance.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back