**LCD 2r2 or Hd800: Help me choose**
May 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #16 of 31
HD800 would be my recommendation.

I had the HD800 when it first came out years ago, serial number 360, and it just didn't work for me.  The sound was just too thin and bright and at that time I vastly preferred my LCD 2.1.  Recently I had a driver failure on my 2.1 and Audeze helped me out with their amazing customer service and upgraded me to the 2.2 for a nominal fee.  The 2.2 just isn't the same Audeze sound I fell in love with.  Honestly it's not even close.  I vastly prefer the 2.1 and wish the driver had never failed.

So with my disappointment I got to thinking how my system had taken on many changes over the last four years.  I thought what the heck, lets give the HD800 another shot.  I could tell years ago that it had potential but at that time my system was barely mid-fi and it just couldn't power them properly.  I received serial number 28XXX a few months ago from Jan Meier and wow what an amazing difference.  All the negative attributes that I thought were characteristics of the HD800 were dispelled instantly.  I was finally hearing what these headphones were capable of.  Since I acquired them I did an A/B against the LCD 2.2 for a couple of days and I haven't used the 2.2 since.  Honestly I should sell it but I've just been too lazy to take pics and list them here.

Anyhow, definitely go with the HD800.  I had the HD650 years ago and the HD800 is way more of a compliment to them than the 2.2.

May 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #18 of 31
  I have a question....  WHY are you upgrading/getting a second set of cans?  What do you feel you are missing and/or what do you feel the HD650's are lacking.  I think really before recommending you go either route, we have to know your motivation.

I love the 650's but there are times when I want more detail, sound stage and better resolution. Just looking for a different flavor I guess. 

May 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #19 of 31
  HD800 would be my recommendation.

Since I acquired them I did an A/B against the LCD 2.2 for a couple of days and I haven't used the 2.2 since.  Honestly I should sell it but I've just been too lazy to take pics and list them here.

Sell them before they come out with 2.2mk4revAbatch4 and make yours worthless. 

May 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #21 of 31
  I'm usually not gun shy about hp's and pulling the trigger. But I can't seem to make a decision here and would appreciate some help. Maybe it's because of the price. I've never spent $1k+ on a pair of hp's. Ever. Here are my random thoughts that have been circulating in my head for the past week. My chain is uberfrost>lyr (telefunkens), crack (ts5998) and hp's. My only current hp is the hd650. The price discrepancy is inconsequential. My music library is 60% flac, 30% hi-res and 10% mp3-320. 

1. After being in the hp game for several years, one thing that has become paramount to me is comfort. Comfort is King. I've auditioned both of these hp's and I find the hd800 supremely comfy and the lcd2 not very comfortable. 

2. The lcd2 is certainly closer to my preferred signature. I like darker hp's with good mids and good bass extension...not bloomy  though...textured bass with a slight warm tilt is what I like best. I've auditioned the lcd2 twice once...once pre-fazor and one with fazor. I liked the pre-fazor better. I can still get a pre-fazor pair NIB, maybe. I worry that the current iteration of the lcd2 gets too far away from my preferred signature. 

3. I auditoned the hd800 once before when I had the lyr. I didn't find the pairing very good, but neither do most people. I feel that that crack is much better suited to bring out the best in the hd800 as opposed to the lyr. 

4. The hd650 with the crack is a very very good hp. But maybe it's just too close to the lcd2 to be a truly "complementary" second hp. The lcd2 is certainly better at everything minus the comfort factor. But is it different enough or rather better enough? 

5. Recently I added a borrowed "quickie' pre-amp to the chain and was really impressed with what it did for the sub bass on the hd650...very impressed. My concern is that the hd800 bass won't hit hard enough and that it might sound bright but possibly with the crack and quickie it would be more than good enough. 

All help and suggestions are appreciated. 

Matt

I own all 3 headphones you refer to.   I really like the HD650 (I think it is a better headphone than the recently-released Oppo PM1).   The sonic signature is similar to that of the LCD2, yes, but the "ortho sound" of the LCD2s is simply a lot better.   No contest.

The HD800 and the LCD2 are different enough beasts that it is really difficult to even think of them as being comparable - most people will very clearly go for one or the other, based on their preferred sound.   I like the HD800s - they are an impressive tour de force and very good at what they do, and make a really complement to the LCD2s.   But the LCD2 are my favorite headphone - they are heavy, but fairly well balanced and not particularly uncomfortable: I can deal with them fine (I guess after spending a long time in a triathlon/TT position with a big pointy helmet, my neck muscles can handle it :)).

I use a Lyr with Amperex Bugle Boys and hotdamn the LCD2s sing!

My suggestion will be to sell the HD650s and get both, if budget allows.   I know it is easy to spend someone else's money, but they really DO go very well together and you have the amps to get the best out of each - both the cans have been on sale on the classifieds, and if you sell the HD650, it wont be that much more of an outlay but you are pretty much at an end-game state of things.

If not, my recommendation - based on sound preferences that are similar to yours - would be the LCD2s.  It's a no-brainer IMO.

May 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #22 of 31
It's funny how people have somewhat opposite suggestions. Of course that's based on your preferred signature. Ultimately I'll have to choose and give it a go. 

I'm not sure that I could ever sell the 650 though. It's my bread and butter go to hp. I've bought and sold many many hp's and gear on head-fi. The one hp that I've refused to sell it the hd650. I'd stately this publicly many times and would have to eat my words if I let it go. 

May 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #23 of 31

I love the 650's but there are times when I want more detail, sound stage and better resolution. Just looking for a different flavor I guess. 

Sounds like the HD800's to me 
L3000.gif

They are great cans and I really liked them with the Crack.

May 20, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #24 of 31
You have oppo pm1 hd 650 and mad dogs pro in that case I would take a look into the hd 800 too

to try a different sound signature

The lcd2 is a more detailed and refined He 400

May 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #25 of 31
The lcd2 is a more detailed and refined He 400

Umm, no.   The LCD2s are nothing like the HE400s - or even the HE500s, for that matter.

May 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #26 of 31
When I recommended LCD2, I wasn't expressing a personal preference between the two (my preference is neither, or HD800 if I were forced to choose). Rather, LCD2 is closer to OP's preferred sound and it seems he wouldn't find it uncomfortable. HD800 would complement HD650 better, but I didn't take that that to be a priority.

May 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #27 of 31
i'd go for the lcd2. The hd800s just cant play many genres in an enjoyable way. (metal and electronic music with a deep bass line). I drive it out of a lyr with stock tubes though, so maybe that's the problem.

The lcd2's soundstage isnt all that bad at all, except for vocals, which sounds like the singer is right at your face. As for detail, i believe it has as much detail as the hd800, except it's not as obvious or in-your-face.

May 20, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #28 of 31
  i'd go for the lcd2. The hd800s just cant play many genres in an enjoyable way. (metal and electronic music with a deep bass line). I drive it out of a lyr with stock tubes though, so maybe that's the problem.

The lcd2's soundstage isnt all that bad at all, except for vocals, which sounds like the singer is right at your face. As for detail, i believe it has as much detail as the hd800, except it's not as obvious or in-your-face.

Oh yes it can! 
wink_face.gif

May 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #29 of 31

This is just crazy talk. 
biggrin.gif

The HD800 is easily the best headphone I've heard for electronic music and I've been through the majority of flagship offerings over the last six years.  Electronic is actually my main listened genre and the HD800 smokes the LCD2 with that type of music.  The LCD2.1 was actually quite decent with electronic but ever since getting "upgraded" to the 2.2 I no longer use the Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back