LCD-2: Part 2, Sound Quality Overview
Aug 10, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #16 of 70
IMHO, the KGSS is quite easily surpassed by the SS Exstata.

I too would love to live with an O2 setup and do side by side comparisons with the LCD-2. There is no doubt in my mind that the LCD-2 is every bit a match to the O2 and maybe more than most people are willing to admit. The LCD-2 actually sounds more neutral than all the times I have had the opportunity to listen to the O2..but i make no qualms about the prowess of the O2. I wish to own one someday soon. 

Manoax, just curious what is your idea of a high end LCD-2 setup? Any particular amps in mind? 

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 70
SP, you have a very nice setup, which is why it deserves something better than a cellphone camera!
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 70
Quote:

I too would love to live with an O2 setup and do side by side comparisons with the LCD-2. There is no doubt in my mind that the LCD-2 is every bit a match to the O2 and maybe more than most people are willing to admit. The LCD-2 actually sounds more neutral than all the times I have had the opportunity to listen to the O2..but i make no qualms about the prowess of the O2. I wish to own one someday soon. 

Manoax, just curious what is your idea of a high end LCD-2 setup? Any particular amps in mind? 

I guess the Apex Pinnacle might be good with it. :) I will give team Cavilla the credit it deserves though, The Liquid Fire was the best I've heard paired with them, good stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing them hooked up to a Beta 22, or better yet, a dynamic version of the T2 if Gilmore really is crazy enough. I think the T2 with O2 and LCD-2 would make a world-class shootout assuming there was a great source.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #19 of 70
Agreed..that would be a very interesting shootout. Wish you had taken the LCD-2 over to JPs stacker and plugged it in.
A Stacker 2 + LCD-2 vs T2KG +O2..now there's a match up that i would be interested in.

After being exclusively with orthos and listening to them with a wide range of amps for some reason they seem to synergise so well with one or the other Cavalli amps and the amp designs are getting better with every new one that he puts out.  I have yet to hear a proper dynamic amp like the dynafet from KG. I have high hopes for it to slay with orthos. The B22 should do plenty fine with the LCD-2. Unfortunately those seem to be quite rare in the PNW. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #22 of 70
Quote:
SP, you have a very nice setup, which is why it deserves something better than a cellphone camera!
tongue_smile.gif

This man speaketh the truth.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #23 of 70

Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks, but i don't have a digital camera at the moment.  I was worried that I needed some fantabulous amp to drive the LCD2s and began researching before they arrived...I'm like stunned mullet with the LCD2s and BCL (not generally praised here at Head-Fi)...I have no desire to look at an upgrade amp at the moment...how much more "air" "extension" and "transparency" etc etc can there possibly exist, there already is very little difference between reality and these cans...speaker like they are not - I've yet to hear a speaker that is so complete.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #24 of 70

Quote:

The mighty LCD-2s - lets just say I don't think the Stax Omega II's no matter how exotically amped can approach a modest LCD2 setup

I'd strongly suggest against making such a claim without sufficient experience of the Omega II.

Quote:

How does an amp (the eXStatA) with 1% distortion surpass a KGSS (with a lot less) exactly? I see juuuuuuuuuuuuuust a small amount of bias here. 
wink_face.gif

I hope, this year, to do a KGSSHV/O2 comparison with the Phoenix/LCD-2.  Out of the 717, the O2s are still the most detailed headphones I've ever listened to music with, but it has been a while, and we need Tyll to measure the O2s out of something better than the 717 to see how far they can go.

Back on topic, the LCD-2s do seem to be fairly easy to drive, and scale predictably with the quality of amplification etc.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #25 of 70
Agreed..let us know when you actually get some quality amplification  to drive the LCD-2 with.

measure all you want my ears tell a different story.  And you say i am biased..do tell us who took these wonderful measurements of the exstata?

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #26 of 70
The exstata is cool for being a cheap to build electrostatic amp for those that don't want to buy a used Stax amp, but it was terribly overrated to these ears.  In fact, I think I was the only person to say anything remotely negative about the amp before the measurements were released.  Good learning experience on trusting my own ears and not falling for the hype.  Couldn't tame the O2 any better than the T1, not really close to the 717, and I can't really imagine the KGSS being worse than the 717.  From comments I've seen, there seems to be a "cavalli house sound" in that the exstata and liquid amps have similar tonality.  If that is the case, I would definitely pass on those amps.  I'm liking the LCD2 out of the Menace right now, will be interesting to hear this headphone on a couple of other local amps.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #27 of 70

Quote:

I'd strongly suggest against making such a claim without sufficient experience of the Omega II.

How does an amp (the eXStatA) with 1% distortion surpass a KGSS (with a lot less) exactly? I see juuuuuuuuuuuuuust a small amount of bias here. 
wink_face.gif

I hope, this year, to do a KGSSHV/O2 comparison with the Phoenix/LCD-2.  Out of the 717, the O2s are still the most detailed headphones I've ever listened to music with, but it has been a while, and we need Tyll to measure the O2s out of something better than the 717 to see how far they can go.

Back on topic, the LCD-2s do seem to be fairly easy to drive, and scale predictably with the quality of amplification etc.

You do have a point Curra.  I will let the more experienced members debate the merits of LCD2 Vs O2 - as I do not own the O2s for extended comparisons.  The HD800 I found had the most details of all the cans I heard - surpassing both LCD2 and O2 - unfortunately where it portray the details is in the upper frequency ranges where I am sensitive to.  The LCD2s are not that far off in detailing - without any treble spike whatsoever.  An extraordinary feat.

My review which is coming up is not going to focus on these subjective debates - as always I prefer to guide our more junior members that are owning mid-level reference cans, how they can have unbelievable sound quality, whilst reducing expenditure to achieve a sound - that in all intents and purposes, will take the fight to the best of wallet draining exoticas.  I shall check the sound of LCD2s up against more common source and amplifiers that are available at very reasonable costs.  The errors I have made to achieve what I am finally completely satisfied with - I wish others do not make.  This review, will be targeted to the common head-fier, and those that want a comparo with the upper exoticas can look elsewhere as I have neither the interest or finances to pursue such endeavours.  The LCD2s has for now systematically erased any concerns I have regarding the limit of audio reproduction.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #28 of 70
I think the treble of the HD-800s fooled you into thinking they have more detail. It's an easy trap to fall into. Comparing the HD-800s, or any high-end headphone for that matter to 'stats is hampered both by the different amplification required and by the large gulf between the Omegas and other 'stats in both their design and performance. The LCD-2s are probably the closest one might get to a non-electrostatic O2. Their behaviour with different grades of amplification is still radically different, however.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #29 of 70
I honestly imagine more ortho's in the future from other companies, LCD-2's are shaking things up.  I know there are AKG, Senn, Beyer and other spies on this forum.  AKG being a little less dominant in the market I would say they go first! gogo!

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #30 of 70

Quote:
I think the treble of the HD-800s fooled you into thinking they have more detail. It's an easy trap to fall into. Comparing the HD-800s, or any high-end headphone for that matter to 'stats is hampered both by the different amplification required and by the large gulf between the Omegas and other 'stats in both their design and performance. The LCD-2s are probably the closest one might get to a non-electrostatic O2. Their behaviour with different grades of amplification is still radically different, however.

I wasn't the only member to be fooled by the HD800's treble...I'm just glad that Audeze exists to cater for my specific requirements - and I know I was not the only one waiting for such a can to exhibit such a non-fatiguing tonal balance.  I'm all for synergy - it's of prime importance.  The LCD2s do occupy the same performance plane as the O2s/T1/HD800 etc, much like the HD650/K701/DT880 occupied the same performance plane - but with varying signatures.  This guarantees endless debates for years to come. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back