LCD-2: Part 2, Sound Quality Overview
Aug 11, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #31 of 70

Quote:
I wasn't the only member to be fooled by the HD800's treble...I'm just glad that Audeze exists to cater for my specific requirements - and I know I was not the only one waiting for such a can to exhibit such a non-fatiguing tonal balance.  I'm all for synergy - it's of prime importance.  The LCD2s do occupy the same performance plane as the O2s/T1/HD800 etc, much like the HD650/K701/DT880 occupied the same performance plane - but with varying signatures.  This guarantees endless debates for years to come. 

which would be keepers out of the many

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #32 of 70
I'm considering liquidating all and retaining a LCD2 setup.  I always believed that different flavor cans for different recording...but the LCD2 is telling me that is unnecessary.  I'll just flavor it with different amplifier synergy on different recordings - it is so chameleon like, needing only slight shifts in synergy to cover all recording scenarios.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #34 of 70
It becomes more of a find the perfect amp and dac with the LCD-2, as the headphone search is kind of over.  But I am happy with my setup, no real need to change anything.  However, I will always still buy amps and dacs to try out just because I find it fun.  

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #35 of 70

Quote:
The exstata is cool for being a cheap to build electrostatic amp for those that don't want to buy a used Stax amp, but it was terribly overrated to these ears.  In fact, I think I was the only person to say anything remotely negative about the amp before the measurements were released.  Good learning experience on trusting my own ears and not falling for the hype.  Couldn't tame the O2 any better than the T1, not really close to the 717, and I can't really imagine the KGSS being worse than the 717.  From comments I've seen, there seems to be a "cavalli house sound" in that the exstata and liquid amps have similar tonality.  If that is the case, I would definitely pass on those amps.  I'm liking the LCD2 out of the Menace right now, will be interesting to hear this headphone on a couple of other local amps.

Oh wow Milos..did not expect that from you.Have you heard the current spec exstata? The proto amp you bought I will agree is exactly  as you describe above. THrow in that output CCS and it is a much much better amp.
And you are suggesting to pass on the Liquid amps based on what again? by going by someone else's comments ? Yeah that makes sense. Gi
ven the fact that I am the only person  currently owning a Liquid Gold amp and have refrained largely from recommending it as an amp for the LCD-2 unless and unttil I have enough head time on it to suggest it as an option with an LCD-2 (wwhich currently stands at less than 30 mins), So I am really wondering who's comments you are going by to recommend folks pass on these amps.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #36 of 70

Quote:
That is an interesting concept, does it sound that varied with different amps.

It does sound very different with different amps, to my ears.  Maybe it's because the headphones are relatively neutral and don't introduce peaks in the sound signature, so it seems easier to notice other changes in the line.  In the spirit of full disclosure, however, this is the first set of headphones that I've auditioned such a wide variety of amps with.  Most others I've only heard on 1-4 different amps for any real length of time.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #37 of 70

Quote:

Oh wow Milos..did not expect that from you.Have you heard the current spec exstata? The proto amp you bought I will agree is exactly  as you describe above. THrow in that output CCS and it is a much much better amp.
And you are suggesting to pass on the Liquid amps based on what again? by going by someone else's comments ? Yeah that makes sense. Gi
ven the fact that I am the only person  currently owning a Liquid Gold amp and have refrained largely from recommending it as an amp for the LCD-2 unless and unttil I have enough head time on it to suggest it as an option with an LCD-2 (wwhich currently stands at less than 30 mins), So I am really wondering who's comments you are going by to recommend folks pass on these amps.

Read the exstata threads before the CCS was thrown in and they're just as glowing.

As for the Liquid amps, I'm not recommending anything.  I'm just saying what I'd personally do for the reasons stated.  I'm not here to sell anybody anything unlike so many.  I need to search to see who made the comments I'm referring to, but I could've sworn it was actually you. :p  It was likely about the Liquid Fire.  I'll look tonight for you.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #38 of 70
nice pictures of your system 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #39 of 70

Quote:
Read the exstata threads before the CCS was thrown in and they're just as glowing.

Not by me at least. I freely admitted that the 717 sounded lot better with the O2 than the exstata. The Exstata edged it out with the ESP950. Still there was noticeable distortion in the proto amp that was addressed by the final mod which also I posted about when i got the first of the production board amps built up.  Somepeople call me biased without any basis. The only thing I am biased about is planar speakers and headphones. 

And no, I never did get a real handle on the LIquid Fire amp simply cause when i had Don's proto Liquid Fire they didn't have the ideal tubes in them and it just wasn't sounding up to my level of expectation.
I only got to listen to the production version briefly only last week and again have refrained from posting about it, waiting to have more head time with it.

I do have tons of head time on the Liquid gold, however I am waiting for my LCD-2 to arrive before i put down notes. I don't have too much experience with SS headphone amplifiers. Most i have heard at meet conditions and only came away loving the B22 (from the brief listen), whereas amps like the dynalo V2, GSX something didn't do it for me (again purely going by experience using orthos with these amps). 

Talk to you later tonight buddy.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #41 of 70

Quote:
I'm considering liquidating all and retaining a LCD2 setup.  I always believed that different flavor cans for different recording...but the LCD2 is telling me that is unnecessary.  I'll just flavor it with different amplifier synergy on different recordings - it is so chameleon like, needing only slight shifts in synergy to cover all recording scenarios.

You wouldn't be the first.  I can't remember who, but at least one other Head-fier sold all his other headphones after getting the LCD-2s. Once my brain has adapted into the unusual tonal balance, they can be extremely seductive.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #42 of 70
I think you are thinking of Alan. A lot of people got some crazy deals out of that.

the T50rp sounded plain weird to me at first. Gave up on them a bit early. it´s so easy to do with 50$ headphones. But they do have something hypnotic and extremely easy listening.
That was what made me jump on the LCD-2. I thought I collected my LCD-2 yesterday btw. Going there all I got was a tiny digital camera back from service... And today I got an exception notice so won´t hear it until next week.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #43 of 70
Pulled myself away from the LCD2s long enough to update the original post with some sound  quality impressions.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back